Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GPP Circuit Weights

GPP Circuit Weights

How many reps do you use?

Does Charlie use the 6 day circuit weight routine for muscle gain?

Quote Originally Posted by pa132435
    How many reps do you use?

Does Charlie use the 6 day circuit weight routine for muscle gain?

3x8-10

Yes.

Not sure about this; I suppose it depends mainly on your level, i.e., if you need hypertrophy, you can use this phase -or the second half of it- for this purpose. Otherwise, I don't see the point...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski
    Not sure about this; I suppose it depends mainly on your level, i.e., if you need hypertrophy, you can use this phase -or the second half of it- for this purpose.
    True. It all depends. Some athletes need more core and med ball. Some can and should do wieghts. I have some athletes that are strong but need a little extra muscle to get them thru the season.

Otherwise, I don't see the point...
    explain this.

Originally Posted by Nikoluski
    Quote Originally Posted by nycjay01
    explain this.
    Sorry, if -in the athlete's opinion- hypertrophy is not necessary, why spending your time doing it?
    Clear now?
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

3x8-10

Yes.
    Thanks NYCJay01.

Sorry, if -in the athlete's opinion- hypertrophy is not necessary, why spending your time doing it?
    Clear now?

Crystal.

thx!

Quote Originally Posted by pa132435
    Thanks NYCJay01.
    Sure man. But let me be clear here. As Niko stated, It all depends on the individual needs. Some people need to build up, some just need to work on power. Others, need to work from the "core" out to the limbs. Not trying to preach but, it's not all about being diesel. Concern yourself with being fast first then everything else.

Hope this helps.

JB

Sure man. But let me be clear here. As Niko stated, It all depends on the individual needs. Some people need to build up, some just need to work on power. Others, need to work from the "core" out to the limbs. Not trying to preach but, it's not all about being diesel. Concern yourself with being fast first then everything else.

Hope this helps.

JB
    NP.

I'm very tall, so I'm less powerful than small athletes. Which is why I don't really focus too much on power (although I don't ignore it).

What's your thoughts on increasing power, for tall people?

Clear now?
    The more advanced the athlete becomes the less circuit type of weight training is needed. I like the hybrid circuit program that Istovan Javorek incoporates into his athletes. In Javorek's program it shows at what intensity and volume the athlete should do the program. A beginner program can be anywhere from 8-12 weeks whereas an advanced athlete can be anywhere from 0-8 weeks. I did the beginner program last year and this year I will prioritize the program to an advanced athletes so I will do anywhere from 6-8 weeks for myself.

The reason I would use Javorek's complex conditioning program is to keep my joints and ligaments healthy each year. As you know tendons/ligaments don't grow faster then muscle so that is why I use this program in the GPP phase. After the program is over I would switch over to Charlie's program as shown on the GPP DVD.

Nik, I hardly do any hypertrophy training throughout the year so I don't see how 4-8 weeks a year for the intermediate-advanced athlete would really hurt their sprinting. Afterall, I don't see an intermediate-advanced athlete really maintaining that hypertrophy throughout the year. Also the variation in the program for the intermediate-advanced athlete will produce bigger strength gains due not only to hypertrophy but also variation of exercises. This variation will also prevent burnout in the indoor season. So in conclusion, I like the circuit hybrid Javorek uses in his complex conditioning bc it strengthens the ligaments/tendons at a better ratio to the muscles then just simply strength training. This is important bc the athlete is not lifting wts during the transition period; therefore, when the athlete returns to the track club the last thing he needs is to get injured early in the season. I'm not saying the athlete would get injured using a proper strengh training program using vertical integration/periodization but it provides some insurance and also cuts fat at that same time.