Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What should one do if there are no hills?

Banned

What should one do if there are no hills?

I live in an area that is pretty much flat. There really aren't any hills in this area. Now, in GPP, hills are an important part of training, but I really don't have any hills to train on. What should one do in place of hills to get the same effect as hills?

Quote Originally Posted by Comanch09
    I live in an area that is pretty much flat. There really aren't any hills in this area. Now, in GPP, hills are an important part of training, but I really don't have any hills to train on. What should one do in place of hills to get the same effect as hills?
    Search. Recently discussed.

Stadium stairs or get an isorobic.

Banned
    Stadium stairs or get an isorobic.
    Stadium stairs, does that really have the same effect as hills? Is there a certain thing one should be aiming when doing stairs. Also, about an isorobic, the one I did a search on was priced at $300+ dollars. Are all isorobics priced at that? If so, I would probably just stick with the stairs right now.

Stadium stairs, does that really have the same effect as hills? Is there a certain thing one should be aiming when doing stairs. Also, about an isorobic, the one I did a search on was priced at $300+ dollars. Are all isorobics priced at that? If so, I would probably just stick with the stairs right now.
    It all depends on the distance between stairs. If it's a natural stride distance (btw 1, 2, or 3 stairs) it should be fine. Just be careful about optical fatigue (where the stairs appear to your eyes to blend together, causing the risk of tripping). If you sense this after a certain point, limit the distance to the point just before you feel it comming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    It all depends on the distance between stairs. If it's a natural stride distance (btw 1, 2, or 3 stairs) it should be fine. Just be careful about optical fatigue (where the stairs appear to your eyes to blend together, causing the risk of tripping). If you sense this after a certain point, limit the distance to the point just before you feel it comming on.
    If hill training was not an option for whatever reason, would you consider the stairs as a complete alternative?

Would you prefer it against resistance running on the track?

Or is the hill training "simply" the best means to avoiding injuries later on in the season?

Thanks!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski
    If hill training was not an option for whatever reason, would you consider the stairs as a complete alternative?

Would you prefer it against resistance running on the track?

Or is the hill training "simply" the best means to avoiding injuries later on in the season?

Thanks!
    I prefer hills because of the grass/soft surface to protect the shins, hence resisted runs on the track early on are not a perfect replacement, but you need to use whatever you can get access to.

I prefer hills because of the grass/soft surface to protect the shins, hence resisted runs on the track early on are not a perfect replacement, but you need to use whatever you can get access to.
    Would resisted runs on a grass field be equal to hils?

Quote Originally Posted by THEONE
    Would resisted runs on a grass field be equal to hils?
    This could be done pulling a tire or other resistance, such as an Isorobic exerciser.

This could be done pulling a tire or other resistance, such as an Isorobic exerciser.
    Thank you. One more question, would you use the same numbers (distance, reps, etc) as outlined in the gpp dvd? Are the tire pulls more intense than the hills because the ground does not come up to meet you.........and if so do you need to use less volume?
    Thanks