Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Running the turn

  1. #1

    Question Running the turn

    Any tips on running curves? this has been an extremely weak part of my race and I am looking on ways to improve upon it.

    Could curve running also be improved upon with core strength? Are you supposed to angle yur arm swing differently while running a turn?

    thanks for you advice

  2. #2
    There should be quite some info on this, but anyway...

    “You should not push too much in your stride. During a speed session, try a series of runs off the curve from the top, concentrating on keeping your arm in a little closer than usual, tilting your head slightly down and to the left. Keep the hands moving from face level to the hip, legs moving up and down and “stepping over” –don’t push at all”.

    “The start of the 200m must be maximal, whole controlled”.

    “The old expression is “burn the turn”, which is true, but perhaps not in the way it is commonly understood. The common instruction is to accelerate hard off the turn and this always appears to be the case when you see films of races, but appearances can be deceptive, since, as the athletes come off the curve, their true position minus the stagger becomes apparent. In reality, most of the damage has been done in the initial stages out of the blocks. The key to the 200m is to accelerate as strongly as possible up to approximately 45 to 50m, where top speed in the race will be achieved and then maintain that speed for as long as possible. The emphasis is on smooth, cyclic action, with the head tilted slightly down and to the left to help the athlete negotiate the turn. The arms are carried at 90 degrees at the elbow. No other adjustment should be necessary. Attempts to increase the pace or change the stride pattern on the edge of the turn are the reason for the vast majority of injuries in the 200m. At the very least, a change in mechanics at this point will carry the athlete to the outside of the lane causing him to travel an extra distance”.

    CF, 2002 Forum Review, I believe...

    Hope it helps!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

  3. #3
    What about body position on the bend...

    some say attack it as a series of straights with left shoulder turned to the centre of the body whilst on the bend!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    Senior Member kitkat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    10,679
    Quote Originally Posted by nanny69
    What about body position on the bend...

    some say attack it as a series of straights with left shoulder turned to the centre of the body whilst on the bend!!!!!!!
    DON QUARRIE used to give that advice and he was the finest bend runner of his generation (or almost any other).

    Re: the bend as it concerns 400m in particular, you may like to take a look at the most recent page on the "lactate threshold" thread...

  5. #5
    In Some quarters in Australia they are coaching this method but have dug this out from Charlie.
    from 2002

    "try a series of runs off the curve concentrate on keeping your arm in a little closer than usual, tilting your head slightly down and to the left, keeps the hands moving from face level to hips, legs moving up and down and stepping over - dont push at all".

    i am hoping charlie can clarify some of this but would??? the action of head slightly down and to the left cause the dropping of left hip?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,908
    Also how about running into the curves especially on an indoor track?

  7. #7
    i never understood what dont push meant, i need explanations on that

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,515
    Quote Originally Posted by GhettoFlash
    i never understood what dont push meant, i need explanations on that
    Don't force the running. Let the speed come.

  9. #9
    Administrator Charlie Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10,477
    Quote Originally Posted by nanny69
    In Some quarters in Australia they are coaching this method but have dug this out from Charlie.
    from 2002

    "try a series of runs off the curve concentrate on keeping your arm in a little closer than usual, tilting your head slightly down and to the left, keeps the hands moving from face level to hips, legs moving up and down and stepping over - dont push at all".

    i am hoping charlie can clarify some of this but would??? the action of head slightly down and to the left cause the dropping of left hip?
    Don't overanalyse it, just give it a try. You'll feel a difference right away. (This is for full-size track outdoors) When you biuld up gradually with this method, you'll find yourself building speed with ease. One key here is not to raise yor head up before you're completely out of the corner, otherwise you'll drift out to the outside of the lane and waste distance.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Hoboken, NJ
    Posts
    2,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    Don't overanalyse it, just give it a try. You'll feel a difference right away. (This is for full-size track outdoors) When you biuld up gradually with this method, you'll find yourself building speed with ease. One key here is not to raise yor head up before you're completely out of the corner, otherwise you'll drift out to the outside of the lane and waste distance.
    Now what about indoor 200 meter tracks?

Similar Threads

  1. Influence of BIORTHYTHMS on athletics performance
    By Molliere in forum Sports Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2009, 01:50 AM
  2. Volume of speed and agility work spring football
    By Paul in forum Other Sports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 05:28 PM
  3. Increasing Stride Length
    By trackman in forum Advanced Sprint Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 12:11 AM
  4. Predictions For US Indoors!!!
    By prophet in forum Off Topic Posts/Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 07:34 PM
  5. Whilst losing weight
    By maris in forum Nutrition Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 05:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •