Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Milk????

Milk????

What would you recommend for a 17 year old female athlete: whole milk, 2%, 1%, or skim milk????Brent McFarlane, in "Sprinting and Hurdling into the 21st Century" recommends 2%, claiming that the body needs the fat to absorb and transport the vitamin D. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TNT

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT
    What would you recommend for a 17 year old female athlete: whole milk, 2%, 1%, or skim milk????Brent McFarlane, in "Sprinting and Hurdling into the 21st Century" recommends 2%, claiming that the body needs the fat to absorb and transport the vitamin D. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TNT
    it completely depends on where you are getting your other fat sources from. if you're getting enough healthy fats throughout the day and eating vegetables with most meals, you can minimze your milk intake.

TNT
    that's true and they both help bone density; i would stay away from 0% milk; you need some fat in there;
    if weight is an issue, stick with 2%; but think twice about not taking whole milk at the age of 17...
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

actually, the best thing you can drink (if in the U.S) is Hood Low Carb Dairy Beverage. Tastes great, 50% more protein, the fat is variable as well (whole, 2%, and skim versions) and best of all, only 3g of sugar per serving (whereas regular milk usually has upwards of 12g). Best bet out there, mixes well with protein drinks as well.

TNT
    Fat from dairy is one of the worst kinds of fat.

There are very few vitamins in milk... But, there are alot of synthetic growth hormones in there... so, drink up!

Quote Originally Posted by Blinky
    Fat from dairy is one of the worst kinds of fat.

There are very few vitamins in milk... But, there are alot of synthetic growth hormones in there... so, drink up!

LOL

I drink skim milk and my bones are just fine; then again, I do drink 3 4litre jugs a week for a total of 12litres. I've never found a problem gaining fat, its the other way around that I have had problems with!

Besides if your really worried about fat and Vit D, have some some cookies or choclate with your milk.

Since she is still 17, drinking milk (sparingly) is not that bad of an idea, unless there is a weight issue. However, if Ca2+ defficiency is the issue, then have her eat any greens, there is a much higher source of Ca2+ there than in milk.

Milk

Blinky,

Can you please name the growth hormones that have been found in milk and please quote your sources. Thank you.

TNT

Milk

"I've heard....." doesn't sound very scientific to me. With all the other highly scientific jargon that appears on this forum on various topics,
    ......."I've heard...." just doesn't cut it with me.

TNT

"I've heard....." doesn't sound very scientific to me. With all the other highly scientific jargon that appears on this forum on various topics,
    ......."I've heard...." just doesn't cut it with me.

TNT

Cows have been given synthetic hormones. I cannot remember the exact reason for giving cows these hormones. What I can tell you is that these hormones might get passed on into the milk and to you! Unless your getting your milk from farmer Joe down the street or from your own farm. I have no complaints about this!

"Caveat Emptor"