Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: fruit and fat?

Krasnayafleur

fruit and fat?

I adhere fairly strictly to a diet EXCLUDING bread, pasta, rice, cereal, red meat, pork, and most desserts. I also don't drink milk but I will eat products with dairy in them.
    Since I exclude a lot of the food in the dining hall, I end up eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and I am becoming aware that high glycemic fruits can actually cause fat storage. Is this an issue of time of day? Quantity? Certain fruits are better than others?

Are you even getting enough protein at all? What are you trying to do???

Go to http://www.glycemicindex.com/ if you want to check the GI of any fruits. I would never consider cutting out fruit. Too many benefits.

If you're worried about the high GI fruits such as bannanas, just throw them in post workout to spike your insulin and aid recovery. You will find most fruits are actually low-medium on the GI.

Krasnayafleur
    Quote Originally Posted by ltruett
    Are you even getting enough protein at all? What are you trying to do???
    I eat chicken and fish, cottage cheese, egg whites, and protein shakes for protein- I have actually been trying to increase protein intake. I am not really trying to do an atkins thing with no carbs, I just want to be more selective about where most of my carbs come from. My numbers in the weight room have been going up so for now I will assume the protein intake is adequate.

What’s wrong with quality red meat once in a while? Or non-fat pork?

Just like any other carbohydrate source if you eat a "very" excessive amount you "can" gain fat, although at your bodyweight and lifestyle that's not likely. A lot of people will scream "frcutose" oh no....it only refills liver glycogen etc. But even then an average piece of fruit will contain less than ~10 grams fructose anyway - the rest is glucose.

Kras, where are your carbs coming from? Don't sweat the sugar in fruit. An active (stressed)person like you would need the anti-oxidants in fruits.

How much fruit would one person have to eat on a daily basis in order show an increase in body fat? Is it even worth worrying about?
    I'll train forever, or as long as my connective tissue allows me to.

Quote Originally Posted by Krasnayafleur
    I adhere fairly strictly to a diet EXCLUDING bread, pasta, rice, cereal, red meat, pork, and most desserts. I also don't drink milk but I will eat products with dairy in them.
    Since I exclude a lot of the food in the dining hall, I end up eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and I am becoming aware that high glycemic fruits can actually cause fat storage. Is this an issue of time of day? Quantity? Certain fruits are better than others?
    The bioflavonoids and vitamins in fruit far outweigh any insulin spike you achieve from eating them. I eat the majority of my fruit in the morning and at that time I take fibre(phsyllium husks) so my insulin spike is very minor.

I've read before fructose only refills liver glycogen, anybody know if this is true?