Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Remarks on GPP DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    The warm-up always starts with jogging
    I usually jog for 3-4 laps on the outside. Incedently Kelly Holmes held a training camp for young, british, female middle distance runners recently, during which she advocated the use of 10min low intensity running/jogging during warm up, she stated it was a good way of increasing endurance and overall fitness in runners without producing "slow" runners through excessive endurance running.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG109
    I usually jog for 3-4 laps on the outside. Incedently Kelly Holmes held a training camp for young, british, female middle distance runners recently, during which she advocated the use of 10min low intensity running/jogging during warm up, she stated it was a good way of increasing endurance and overall fitness in runners without producing "slow" runners through excessive endurance running.
    Most sprinters usually need 7-10 min of jogging to warmup properly anyways! When they do weightlifting afterwards they again need 10min of warmup if the break between the track and weightroom is more than 15 min! I never go by how many laps I do but by time bc one athlete can do three laps around a field in 5 min while another might take 9 min!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis
    I think you can use a sled to replace hills if absolutely necessary (weather etc) I prefer the hills as they can be on grass and are easy to regulate. The sled must be timed to judge the load and watched carefull to ensure the maintenance of good form (no bending the torso forward above the sled's line.
    Appologies if this has been previously mentioned, but how would sled work be timed to judge the load?, am I right in thinking the weight used must not slow down the athlete by more than 10%?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnG109
    Appologies if this has been previously mentioned, but how would sled work be timed to judge the load?, am I right in thinking the weight used must not slow down the athlete by more than 10%?
    That's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Supervenomsuperman
    Most sprinters usually need 7-10 min of jogging to warmup properly anyways! When they do weightlifting afterwards they again need 10min of warmup if the break between the track and weightroom is more than 15 min! I never go by how many laps I do but by time bc one athlete can do three laps around a field in 5 min while another might take 9 min!
    I agree with what you are saying but I think its best to go by laps. Then if you forget your watch (like I do) then you are not restricted. Using laps standardises your warm up and helps you to ascertain your readiness more easily.

Quote Originally Posted by martn76
    I agree with what you are saying but I think its best to go by laps. Then if you forget your watch (like I do) then you are not restricted. Using laps standardises your warm up and helps you to ascertain your readiness more easily.
    That's true if you're doing your GPP work at a track, which is often not the case. Time the laps you normally use and then transfer this time to any other location.

Is jogging absolutely necessary? How about some slow tempo runs that progressivley get faster (approach maybe 50-60% max speed) followed by stretching, drills, and progressive sprints? I've always felt that any kind of jogging just tightens me up. Does anyone else have this experience?

Quote Originally Posted by ksnideman
    Is jogging absolutely necessary? How about some slow tempo runs that progressivley get faster (approach maybe 50-60% max speed) followed by stretching, drills, and progressive sprints? I've always felt that any kind of jogging just tightens me up. Does anyone else have this experience?
    Jogging is not absolutely necessary at all and can be replaced with progressive activities such as you describe. It is, however, just as important that you quantify the activities so you can be sure that your warm-up is repeatable.