Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sprint Drill Progressions

Banned

I can see by the way this coach is presenting the drills that he is heavily influenced by Loren Seagrave's Speed Dynamics. This is not the way A's and B's were designed to be done by Gerard Mach. I know this first hand. (Gerard worked with my training group in '91 or '92. A's and B's were a major portion of our training)

I had a long discussion with Charlie about this at Vancouver 2002. (I was experimenting with a Seagrave style stepover technique on drills with my athletes at the time) I was surprised to learn that Charlie's focus for the drills are relaxation and rhythm. Charlie explained that there is "no time" to step over during these drills and still have proper ground contact times.

Macsprint is correct. You know when someone tells a funny joke, and then as it is passed on and mis-told and mis-interpreted from person to person, it becomes less funny or even unfunny. Same idea here. These drills are passed on from moron to moron and no one actually checks with the guy who came up with the drills to make sure they are correct. The problem with YouTube is that it accelerates and proliferates this nonsense.

Banned
    Thanks for clarifying the proper technique Macsprint and Number Two.

I seem to remember a post ages back where I made reference to attending a Loren Seagrave Speed Dynamics clinic and it was suggested I was slagging on the man. If you are riding a pushbike the circling motion is fine, using it while trying to run fast ???

The whole speed dynamics drill series was created to provide a plethora of exercises purported to improve speed (and sell videotapes and DVD's). Did they improve speed or running technique -- no. In fact, they set the sprinting community back several hundred years. But, someone made a buck off of them.

But guys, it says right there in the video that he's the "Director of Speed Development" at the "Academy of Speed"!

Has anyone got any videos they can post of "proper" A's and B's as taught by Mach/Charlie?

Quote Originally Posted by macsprint View Post
    I can see by the way this coach is presenting the drills that he is heavily influenced by Loren Seagrave's Speed Dynamics. This is not the way A's and B's were designed to be done by Gerard Mach. I know this first hand. (Gerard worked with my training group in '91 or '92. A's and B's were a major portion of our training)

I had a long discussion with Charlie about this at Vancouver 2002. (I was experimenting with a Seagrave style stepover technique on drills with my athletes at the time) I was surprised to learn that Charlie's focus for the drills are relaxation and rhythm. Charlie explained that there is "no time" to step over during these drills and still have proper ground contact times.
    That's exactly what I was thinking- that this was the S.D version of the drills. This version of the A-the step over A was termed by Winckler a velocity A skip and the traditional A skip was an acceleration A skip. Many years ago this is the way I had athletes perform their drills but in the last 11-12 years it's been with the traditional Mach version.

I think the way Ange performs the drills-A skips, B skips, Ham/Butt Kicks in the GPP download (is that her?) is "textbook" form. I use this as an example to show my athletes when they want a near perfect visual example.

There is a great video that illicitly made it through the NFL back in the 90's. It shows Ange doing proper A, B and C drills, then a bunch of NFL guys fumbling through them afterward, with Charlie providing audio commentary in the background. Al Vermeil gave me a copy and it shows how good the drills can be, and how bad they can be.