Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Baseball speed

Baseball speed

I'm looking for ideas for developing periodized programs for baseball speed with athletes ranging from 10 years of age - high performance. Trying to incorporate a baseball track concept. Baseball is a demand skill sport, which requires high levels of power and speed, so how much time needs to be balanced with the development of speed/power vs skill development (primarly position players).
    Nap

Rupert

Exclamation

Anyone have info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by nap View Post
    I'm looking for ideas for developing periodized programs for baseball speed with athletes ranging from 10 years of age - high performance. Trying to incorporate a baseball track concept. Baseball is a demand skill sport, which requires high levels of power and speed, so how much time needs to be balanced with the development of speed/power vs skill development (primarly position players).
    Nap
    I will only say from experience that atheticism vs skill is not nearly as important in baseball as it is in football. While improving speed and strength is definitely beneficial and something you should persue with all your athletes, it should take a back seat to skill development, including situation awareness. How much of a training program should be alloted to this end I can't say, but baseball is much more a skill sport than football, or possibly even basketball.

Agree and disagree

Agree and disagree.

Ones ability to display skill are still dependent on athletic qualities, and will be limited by the importance of these qualities. These' are what we refer to as limiting factors. In baseball, acceleration-throwing-hitting power are at a premium. Athletes who posses lower outputs of these qualities will limit their opportunity to advance in the sport.

This is why we see many athletes in this sport using banned substances. athletes recognize that an improvement in these athletic qualities (acceleration-throwing-hitting power / and high levels of MxS) will have an immediate impact on their performance.

One area where I often see problems in baseball is the inability to tolerate going from waiting around to sudden explosive movements. This can be better tolerated if a program with extensive tempo is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Francis View Post
    One area where I often see problems in baseball is the inability to tolerate going from waiting around to sudden explosive movements. This can be better tolerated if a program with extensive tempo is in place.
    By 'tolerate', do you mean avoiding injuries, or something else?

For the field position player would you do any heavy bench press work/presses. I know LSU has everyone performing cleans, snatches, jerks, pulls, squats etc.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    For the field position player would you do any heavy bench press work/presses. I know LSU has everyone performing cleans, snatches, jerks, pulls, squats etc.
    It's a power sport- so sure, weights and very short speed work and I'd use tempo just like with the sprints

It's a power sport- so sure, weights and very short speed work and I'd use tempo just like with the sprints
    I was curious because I remember Joe Defranco saying he prefer to drop the bench press and do pullups, chinups and maybe db work for his baseball players. Also I may be wrong but I think James mention there QB's don't do any bench press work.

Dan John has also said throwers don't need to bench. One can see how it could induce internal rotation of the shoulder as well as tightness inhibiting ROM.