Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Start clinic #1

Start clinic #1

Hi all,

Here is a new feature where we get the collective expertise of the list and constructively aim to help a fellow coach overcome an annoying little niggle. Everyone has a great cue or bit of advice that they have used to address a specific issue. Why not show yours here?

To kick off, I am posting this on behalf of forum member Nanny. The athlete is a versatile 17 year old sprinter 12.01/24.45/55.44.

The specific question is "When leaving the blocks her lead arm's first movement is backwards. Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated."

My first comment. If the back leg goes backwards, the arms must also go backwards. We can control our legs with our arms, but the reverse also applies when balance comes into it. The back leg needs to be a stable platform from which to launch our rocket.

Have to go now too damn busy at the moment. Look forward to a great thread.

It looks like she's leaning too far forward in the set position. She has too much weight on her arms, which is what's preventing the lead arm from immediately coming forward. It also looks like her feet are too close together. Try moving the rear block back to give her more room so she won't be crowded in the blocks and have to lean forward as much.

In addition, she's not initiating the start with her arm. It looks like she's concentrating primarily on pushing with her legs first.

Her legs activate first. He left arm should be moving first and fastest for this segment of the start. Instead, it is almost as though her arms are dead weight for the first part of the clip. In fact, BOTH arms move back on the start. The left should move forward, and be the first thing that we see move.

She needs alot more mid sections strength as well. You can see her upper and lower body moving as 2 separate units.

Hip height looks good.

And one thing to remember, if she is reading these posts is that we are not saying she is not a talented athlete. In fact, if she had no talent would any of us waste our time posting on this thread? Cerntainly not! Be encouraged young lady! You are 10-15 years away from your best performance. The athletes who persevere are the ones who end up on top.

Has she had her blocks switched recently? (Did she used to start with the other foot forward?)

Is her back foot making complete contact with the block ? No gap between foot and block in the set postion ?

To Herb and all thanks for your feedback.
    Some background athlete mentioned has only been in the sport for 2 1/2 years. used to be a beach sprinter and has not changed blocks lately.
    I will post a still pic on this site tomoz showing angles in set position.

The thumb turned in on left hand has actually helped reducing the backwards movement of the lead arm. prior to the switch it used to travel back past the hip before coming forward.

dcw has mentioned it by email and you will notice on the video that her ankle moves back over the block would you suggest a slightly lower position of the rear foot?

nanny,

From what myself and others have posted here, what will you focus on first when coaching this athlete? My suggestion is to get the Arm action correct. Alot of other problems will be fixed with this alone. The left arm should fire straight out forward. That is what I would focus on. There may be other issues though.

Perhaps it is the forward lean that is not allowing her to freely move her hand fwd. You can sort of see this with T-Mont in his WR race.

nanny,

forgive my ignorance, is a beach sprinter what the name implies? tell me about the competitions, etc, thank you