Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: Masters Sprint Training

  1. #21
    Member John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying
    Guys, my first meet ( in my life ) will be next saturday, so, im nut sure if i should let my wife and my boy to watch this, im all nervous

    BTW, any of you are taking creatine or already tried this stuff ?
    How did worked ?
    I'll be 43 when I compete for the first time ever later this year

    Re creatine, I used it again for the first time in years a short while ago. I felt bloated and slow, others don't though.

    Ncjay,
    the first part of Tuesday doesn't look like SE to me. Personally I would just stick to shorter stuff that day then on the other day do a longer runs of 80-150m (total 400 - 600m) with full recovery between.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by John C-S
    I would just stick to shorter stuff that day then on the other day do a longer runs of 80-150m (total 400 - 600m) with full recovery between.
    How long do you consider full recovery? I did 3x2x120m yesterday with 3min between reps and 6-7min between sets. My legs felt like bricks on my third set. I figure I didn't give myself enough rest.

    Malik

  3. #23
    Member John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    4,400
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrepsac
    How long do you consider full recovery? I did 3x2x120m yesterday with 3min between reps and 6-7min between sets. My legs felt like bricks on my third set. I figure I didn't give myself enough rest.

    Malik
    It is a personal thing to some extent but I have seen (and use) 1min per 10m as a guideline. For instance my workout tonight will be 5 x 100m with 10 mins recovery between.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by John C-S
    I'll be 43 when I compete for the first time ever later this year

    Re creatine, I used it again for the first time in years a short while ago. I felt bloated and slow, others don't though.

    Ncjay,
    the first part of Tuesday doesn't look like SE to me. Personally I would just stick to shorter stuff that day then on the other day do a longer runs of 80-150m (total 400 - 600m) with full recovery between.
    Right its acceleration work + SE1

    The tuesday session is (in this order)
    4x30
    2x30 blocks
    1x250 (SE1)
    1x200 (SE1)

    For sat I might do:
    3x30
    4x40 blocks
    2x3x70


    I might throw something in on thursday...

  5. #25
    NYcjay,
    this sounds about ok; not sure if you compete in 200 m, too, but try and progress those 70s to quality 100-120s (-150s perhaps, depending on what you've done in previous session). What you originally suggested about the repeated 60s is also good and helpful, but now you've got the 70s for that, I suppose...

    Good luck!

    Regarding recoveries and for the other posts, too, IMO, the longer, the better; progressively extend and leave room for quality, 2-3 of them should be great fun!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikoluski
    Regarding recoveries and for the other posts, too, IMO, the longer, the better; progressively extend and leave room for quality, 2-3 of them should be great fun!
    I have a tough time adjusting to longer recoveries with speed work. I feel like if not gasping for air, then I'm slacking off. I blame my old coach for all the high volume low recovery work we did in the past.

    I just have to teach myself that longer recovery is your friend .

    Thanks John and Nik!

  7. #27

    Wink

    I put this in the wrong place ...sorry

  8. #28

    strggle to get fit

    I am a 51 year old who used to be able to run 1:55.7 800 at 17 years old.I have been trying to get fit the last year or so by a mixture of long runs and tempo track work I also work out in the gym doing core and light weights.I stopped running when I was 18 and thought it would be easy to get back into it,but it just aint happening.I can manage up to steady 8 mile jogs at about 8-8:30 mileing and on the track
    I can knock out say 8x150 but it just feels forced and not relaxed and the recovery time after speed work is long.I would like to compete again but if I push it I feel I will pull somthing which I have done a few times.Any advice as I am determined to continue asI love the sport HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #29
    Member John's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Kiwiland
    Posts
    4,400
    Buzer,
    what event do you want to compete in?

  10. #30
    Thats a good question I was sort of waiting to see how I felt over different distances but I was leaning towards the sprints.But I do enjoy the long runs.

Similar Threads

  1. EMS on hamstrings and glutes only ?
    By Silencer23 in forum Strength Training
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM
  2. SPORTS BRIEFING | HOCKEY; World Cup Games In Europe
    By Rupert in forum Intl. Track & Field
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 05:00 AM
  3. Science of Winning
    By kitkat1 in forum Aquatics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2009, 12:00 AM
  4. TENS UNITS?
    By QUIKAZHELL in forum Forum Archives
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-03-2007, 01:46 AM
  5. under/overload
    By jalbert in forum Biomechanics and Physiology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •