Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Continuation of Organism Strength thread

I have a question for Charlie or others related to the post I made last night...

I used an OHB med ball throw before my sessions during my training for the 60m to test neuromuscular readiness and see how I was recovering from session to session. I started at about 44' and hit a best of 50' in the first session of week 8 of SPP which followed my 3+1+3 max strength period. Then I dropped the weights to a maintenance level and dropped the number of lifts. From then on I couldn't seem to match my throws from earlier on in the SPP even at points where I knew it wasn't a recovery issue (such as the last week where I was pseudo-tapering). I could only get 48' at best and usually lower than that... however, my sprint times improved during this period.

I was thinking that the higher intensity weights were a stimulus for the throws (like Charlie said about weights being a stimulus for the sprints and needing to maintain enough strength to serve that purpose) but why did opposite results happen with the sprints? Is this something anybody has noticed in their own training or training of their athletes?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreoyn09
    I have a question for Charlie or others related to the post I made last night...

I used an OHB med ball throw before my sessions during my training for the 60m to test neuromuscular readiness and see how I was recovering from session to session. I started at about 44' and hit a best of 50' in the first session of week 8 of SPP which followed my 3+1+3 max strength period. Then I dropped the weights to a maintenance level and dropped the number of lifts. From then on I couldn't seem to match my throws from earlier on in the SPP even at points where I knew it wasn't a recovery issue (such as the last week where I was pseudo-tapering). I could only get 48' at best and usually lower than that... however, my sprint times improved during this period.

I was thinking that the higher intensity weights were a stimulus for the throws (like Charlie said about weights being a stimulus for the sprints and needing to maintain enough strength to serve that purpose) but why did opposite results happen with the sprints? Is this something anybody has noticed in their own training or training of their athletes?

Thanks
    The weights might potentiate the throws but there is another possible explanation. The pump from the lifting is going down, which loosens the muscles- giving an advantage to the runs but perhaps changing the leverage in the throws as well- or at least the feeling for them.
    In any event, just keep track of the results you do get and use them as a guide to the expected sprint results. you'll develop your own set of useful numbers to use whether anyone else agrees or not.

Thanks Charlie, I hadn't thought about it that way. I will continue to track what happens for those purposes.