Page 174 of 175 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 1748

Thread: Chris6878's journal.

  1. #1731

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    This was three weeks ago. The tendon pain has not come back since then, and my training results are better than before the fast. I’d love to hear from anyone who tries this, as I’m trying to convince a tendinopathy researcher to run a clinical trial, which would be much more likely if I wasn’t the only person who’s had success with this. It seems to work better in the reactively stage (weeks) than in the chronic stage (months to years), although some very long standing niggles I’ve been having for years also got better.

  2. #1732

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    This was three weeks ago. The tendon pain has not come back since then, and my training results are better than before the fast. I’d love to hear from anyone who tries this, as I’m trying to convince a tendinopathy researcher to run a clinical trial, which would be much more likely if I wasn’t the only person who’s had success with this. It seems to work better in the reactively stage (weeks) than in the chronic stage (months to years), although some very long standing niggles I’ve been having for years also got better.
    This trial would be really interesting.
    I agree with your research on the studies of the benefits of fasting in general - reduced inflammation, more HGH, lower blood pressure etc are all frequently stated. The reduced inflammation and HGH would appear to be most beneficial towards the healing of injuries.

    The small amount of food eaten may not be so critical as the fact you are in great calorie deficit. Empirical observations on the benefits of fasting in German type health spas appear similar and they go even further by only consuming very simple foods of a porridge type.

    By the way. Acute inflammation is very necessary for survival, it`s what heals cuts, breaks etc in the body after a trauma. The issue with long term injury is the presence of `non necessary chronic inflammation`.

  3. #1733
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    This trial would be really interesting.
    I agree with your research on the studies of the benefits of fasting in general - reduced inflammation, more HGH, lower blood pressure etc are all frequently stated. The reduced inflammation and HGH would appear to be most beneficial towards the healing of injuries.

    The small amount of food eaten may not be so critical as the fact you are in great calorie deficit. Empirical observations on the benefits of fasting in German type health spas appear similar and they go even further by only consuming very simple foods of a porridge type.

    By the way. Acute inflammation is very necessary for survival, it`s what heals cuts, breaks etc in the body after a trauma. The issue with long term injury is the presence of `non necessary chronic inflammation`.
    This is why recovery methods (ice baths,contrast showers etc) should be saved for deload weeks.

  4. #1734

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    This trial would be really interesting.
    I agree with your research on the studies of the benefits of fasting in general - reduced inflammation, more HGH, lower blood pressure etc are all frequently stated. The reduced inflammation and HGH would appear to be most beneficial towards the healing of injuries.

    The small amount of food eaten may not be so critical as the fact you are in great calorie deficit. Empirical observations on the benefits of fasting in German type health spas appear similar and they go even further by only consuming very simple foods of a porridge type.

    By the way. Acute inflammation is very necessary for survival, it`s what heals cuts, breaks etc in the body after a trauma. The issue with long term injury is the presence of `non necessary chronic inflammation`.
    Yes, the anti-inflammatory effect of the fast is largely due to the caloric deficit, although the high amount of Omega 3 and low amount of Omega 6 fatty acids may have also helped. The purpose of the selected foods are to stay in ketosis (most calories from fats), spare muscle tissue (BCAAs), assist tendon healing (gelatin) and keep Omega 3s high (fish oil and salmon).

    I would not suggest to eat porridge or other carbohydrate rich foods during a fast, as you want to stay in ketosis rather than jumping back and forth between fat and carbohydrate metabolism. Staying in ketosis will also help with hunger. I was hungry while I was still burning carbs (glycogen), but stopped feeling hungry once I had switched to fat burning. Others have reported the same thing.

    A transient drop in blood pressure also occurred, but was more of a nuisance for me, as it resulted in a bit of orthostatic hypotension.

    Yes, inflammation is obviously only unecessary for survival in the absence of life threatening injuries or infections. If I had one of those I probably wouldn’t be thinking about fasting. Inflammation is also important for training-induced tissue adaptations. However, when the body is unable to resolve the inflammation it becomes chronic, and that’s when it turns into a problem.

  5. #1735
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    This is why recovery methods (ice baths,contrast showers etc) should be saved for deload weeks.
    What should we do during the hard weeks for daily recovery?

  6. #1736
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaiah53 View Post
    What should we do during the hard weeks for daily recovery?
    I avoid the use of ice baths/contrast showers during regular training weeks as they can artificially reduce inflammation-an important adaptation signal-and dampen the training effect, but during deload weeks, feel free to use them as frequently as possible as restoration is the goal of the week.

    Massages, ART, sleep, nutrition, and stay moving (cardiac work etc) for the loading weeks.

  7. #1737
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,818

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    I may try the full fast when I have a few days off work. I think one think that would help during a fast would be bone broth. Ive been drinking bone broth mixed with beef collagen at night before bed. THe protein helps curb hunger which they both have a ton of. ALso they are carb free. Also since switching to paleo and getting my meals catered i average about 1000-1500 calories a day. each meal might be 3-400 calories. Ive pretty much eliminated extra sugar. If I do need something sweet I make cookies with dark chocolate, coconut sugar and almond flower.

    But i may try a four day fast of nothing but broth and gelatin one of these days. But since switching to paleo my energy levels are great.

    I hate ice baths so i never use those. but I think for me the best bet is regular therapy, rest and nutrition.

  8. #1738

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Yes, bone broth would be a good option for a fast. Make sure you stay active and exercise while fasting, as you may otherwise lose some muscle rather than just fat. I would also suggest a high dose of good quality fish oil (~ 4000mg of DHA/EPA)

  9. #1739
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,940

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Yes, bone broth would be a good option for a fast. Make sure you stay active and exercise while fasting, as you may otherwise lose some muscle rather than just fat. I would also suggest a high dose of good quality fish oil (~ 4000mg of DHA/EPA)
    How's your powerlifting training going?

  10. #1740

    Re: Chris6878's journal.

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    How's your powerlifting training going?
    Mine? I’m not training for powerlifting. Last time I did was in 2012. I’m focussing on LJ and a bit of TJ now. Aim is to break the M35 Queensland (state) records before turning 40 in June. I surpassed the LJ record when I jumped 6.52m at world masters two years ago, but the wind was 2.3m/s. Have had too many injuries since then to get to this level again. Hopefully 2019 will be the year that things come together again. At least I know how to treat/prevent tendon issues now, which account for the majority of the problems I’ve had over the years.

Similar Threads

  1. Ambler in record form
    By kitkat1 in forum In the News
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM
  2. SPORTS BRIEFING | HOCKEY; World Cup Games In Europe
    By Rupert in forum Intl. Track & Field
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 04:00 AM
  3. IAAF Melbourne Report
    By kitkat1 in forum In the News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2009, 08:24 PM
  4. Finding spikes- can anyone help?
    By T-Slow in forum Ask Us.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 05:01 PM
  5. Start clinic #1
    By dcw23 in forum Advanced Sprint Training
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •