Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Michael Thomas

Re: Michael Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
    Why do you say that? Because form breaks down easily at higher loads?
    I prefer straight bar deadlifts but don't mind trap bar once in a while, especially with the low handles.
    I don't mind as a piece to the puzzle not as the primary lower body lift. I would take db rev lunges over trap bar deads.

What do you look for in a primary lower body lift?
    Surely you can't stress your CNS to the same degree with DB lunges.
    But from a lower body muscle activation perspective I would guess the DB reverse lunges would beat out trap bar deads quite easily.

1: Something you can perform at a high level of proficiency.
    2: Something you can produce a solid output on.
    3: Something you can perform safely.

Many idiot coaches/athletes love to flip the handles high and toss on a ton of weight on the trap bar and think they are getting a great workout. Many coaches are taking the eccentric component away also when performing deadlifts.

FYI - Your cns is getting plenty of strain from the sprints - jumps - throws.

Well said.

Most people want to add too much lifting, too much jumping, too many extra exercises post speed work.

More is not better it is just MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Most people want to add too much lifting, too much jumping, too many extra exercises post speed work.

More is not better it is just MORE.
    Agree. Didn't do any lower body lifting for three months, only sprints and a few jumps. Just decided to fool around with a deadlift and was able to lift a lot more than three months prior.

Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    Agree. Didn't do any lower body lifting for three months, only sprints and a few jumps. Just decided to fool around with a deadlift and was able to lift a lot more than three months prior.
    I didn't do any lower body lifting for months and my sprints got worst and squats down 150lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
    Well said.
    Trap bar deadlift = fake strength. I didn't lift for months and could still trap dl 500lbs but struggled with 300lbs on my back.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I didn't do any lower body lifting for months and my sprints got worst and squats down 150lbs.
    How much sprint and jump volume did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    How much sprint and jump volume did you do?
    Straight from my journal.

In January I took 8 weeks and did nothing but upper body weights and treated all the lower body injuries I was dealing with. The next 8 weeks I introduced tempo and various bodyweight movements. The fifth month I continued the tempo and bodyweight movements but added jump circuits and mb throws. The sixth and final month I put everything back into the program, tempo, jumps, throws, and short hills (10-20m). So far, this is the healthiest I been since 2011ish but still have a little way to go. I am also the lightest I have been since soph year of high school - my weight has gone from 193-195 to 168lbs. I introduced the tempo back into the program very slowly, started with 6x100 and stayed there for 4 weeks, 8x100 for 4 weeks, 10x100 for 4 weeks, and 12x100 day 1, 6x200 day 2 for 4 weeks. Since starting gpp 4 weeks ago I have dropped all tempo but will add it back at some point if needed.

Pre gpp:
    Tempo 2400m weekly
    Hills 240-300 per session
    Jumps 16-24 weekly
    MB 36-60 weekly