Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Form Critique - What Should I Work On?

Re: Form Critique - What Should I Work On?

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Those guys are stupid.... Back in my college days they use to teach us to get right on the line because it was less sprinting distance - SMH!!!.. Two shoe lengths sounds about right. Can't find the video right now but I heard chris korfist speaking on having a slightly wider stance kinda how some of the new starting blocks are built - suppose to help with acceleration etc.
    How much would Sydney Mclaughlin improve if she just did the same as what these 40yard time gurus? lmao They would screw things up for her in less time than it takes to run a 40y.

She starts well back and still has a problem imo getting crowded for the first two hurdles.

Quote Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
    I never thought I was heel striking but looking at the wear on my spikes, you're probably right. I think I've always generally had weak ankles and maybe they lack the stiffness required. I don't think I'm quad dominant though, more likely the opposite and maybe why I seem to "pull" in my acceleration phase? I'll try to work on that.

One of the main things that stands out to me is not getting my recovery foot high enough in my sprint position. It doesn't look like I get over the opposite knee. It also seems like most of my leg motion and force is behind my body instead of in front of my body at top speed.

Angela, here's a full speed 40m sprint from this evening.

My workout today was:

Warmup (which takes me a long time but I don't want to pull my groin again)
    Sprints:
    20m x 3
    40m x 3
    60m x 1

Banded Deadlifts + Hurdle Hops
    Push Press
    Inverted Rows + Dips

For someone who has not been doing speed workouts you look pretty good.
    If you were looser in the hips ( and looser in general) and a bit stronger with more speed work behind you, the difference would be notable.

I'd like to see you doing a crouched start and also a few starts laying on your stomach to scramble up and run over 10 or 20 meters. Have you done this type of start before?

And I don't mean you are weak but sprinting builds specific strength and some of it you acquire over time having done more training over time. It's not about lifting more or heavier which can make things more difficult to perform speed workouts.

Hi Angela,

Do you mean that you'd like me to take a video with those starts or would you like to see me integrating them into my training? I have done starts from my stomach (which I always called pushup starts but I guess those are different). I'm not sure what you mean by crouching start though, standard 2-point start?

Flexibility is definitely a restriction for me, I've been especially trying to loosen my hamstrings. Tightness is very noticeable doing B skips.

If you train alone all the time it's difficult to see what is going on.

I've also said this before that judgment of self is difficult. How does one effectively coach oneself? It took me years to train without Charlie watching each move of my workout and if and when I did train proactive decisions were built into the training to avoid difficulties.

Pushup starts as shown in GPP with Lindsay at the end of the video are a bit different than clap starts. And yes, I would like to see you perform 2 or 3 runs from you laying on your stomach and scrambling to 10 and 20 meters. Why not?

And if you are not familiar with a crouch start which is not a 3 point start, it would be good to see that too. It will allow me and others to see things from the beginning. Crouch starts take adjustment but learning how to perform them are useful as it's an efficient way to repeat reps without full, block starts.

My quarantine is almost over and I'm excited to get back into training. I'll get a video up of those starts when I get a chance.

Angela, I'm guessing you train or have a history of training out of Toronto? I'm in Oakville, do you know of any good hills in my area? I think I've found a good one in Mississauga but it's a bit far from my gym to do before weights.

In regards to the issue of my knees collapsing on impact, would straight leg bounds be a good drill to correct this? Or is it strictly a issue of relative strength?

And my heel striking ... Should I be doing anything specific to improve ankle stiffness or just let the jumps, bounds, sprints take care of that? I don't think I should be correcting that issue by actively extending my ankles to compensate while sprinting.

My quarantine is almost over and I'm excited to get back into training. I'll get a video up of those starts when I get a chance.

Angela, I'm guessing you train or have a history of training out of Toronto? I'm in Oakville, do you know of any good hills in my area? I think I've found a good one in Mississauga but it's a bit far from my gym to do before weights.

In regards to the issue of my knees collapsing on impact, would straight leg bounds be a good drill to correct this? Or is it strictly a issue of relative strength?

And my heel striking ... Should I be doing anything specific to improve ankle stiffness or just let the jumps, bounds, sprints take care of that? I don't think I should be correcting that issue by actively extending my ankles to compensate while sprinting.
    Improve posture (hips high and as CF said, back straight) and avoiding reaching/casting to reduce/eliminate heel striking along with the gradual improvement in strength levels that will come over time.

Why are you in quarentine and when will be over?

Makes sense thanks