Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Form Critique - What Should I Work On?

Form Critique - What Should I Work On?

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping to get some form analysis from the experienced members. I just started sprint training this summer, at 31 years old, self taught. I've played sports all my life but never focused on getting better at sprinting.
    This is a 40m sprint, done at ~90% and trying to think about form cues. The only thing that stands out to me is the weird Adrian Peterson hobble at the end, which I suspect is related to fat pad impingement in my left knee that restricts knee flexion.

I appreciate your help.

My times over the past few weeks are as follows:

10m - 1.89
    20m - 3.11
    30m - 4.35
    40m - 5.49

Thanks

Re: Form Critique - What Should I Work On?

How are you timing this? I am guessing with some electronic device?

Are you able to film it in real time opposed to slow mo?

What have you been doing for training? And what have been the sports you have been doing?

Hi Angela,

I'll get a real time video uploaded next time I'm training with a friend.

Those are electronic timed with a Jawku Speed.

Training is basically:
    2-3 days per week of Sprints + (Jumps and/or Throws) + Weights
    and usually 2 low intensity days per week, tempo runs or higher rep work.

Weights are usually Squats + Bench + Rows, low volume, sometimes I change it up

Lacrosse is my main sport. Played a lot of hockey growing up as well.

Sounds good.

Do you know what basic sprint mechanics should look like?

I think I have a good idea but that's why I'm here. Knowing and demonstrating also aren't the same.

Form cues? Like one at the beginning and one when you are running upright?
    Since you are not smooth (yet), it definitely shows. I would think Charlie would have said to keep those two separate as a beginner. Ques, and phases or areas of a sprint.
    Gradually, as you get better you will be able to combine the two.

You seem to be consistent and take action fast. It will be fun to see how much you improve over the course of a year.

Do you have any of the products sold here?
    Any low grade hills nearby?
    The vids sold here will give you good ideas of how you can do things without thinking too much about what you’re actually working on.

Yes - I do find that I struggle transitioning between phases. I'm definitely not consistent with when/where I begin my upright sprint position.
    In terms of cues, I find my 10m times are best when I focus on strong knee drive and keeping my feet low in recovery. I use to really focus on pushing off both feet in my 2 or 3 point stance but I've learned that cue has a negative effect.
    At top speed I try to think about staying relaxed but I don't find that easy.

I've read CFTS and Speed trap
    No low grade hills that I can think of. All of the hills I've found are too steep to maintain proper mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
    I think I have a good idea but that's why I'm here. Knowing and demonstrating also aren't the same.
    It is hard self-coaching but if you have a good idea of what sprint mech should look like and with solid video it may help you put together the picture within time. I try not to overthink sprint mechanics. I remember Charlie speaking on hip height and he made it very simple - if you are doing the right amount of work at the right time while staying relax hip height along with other things will fix themselves.

Not sure if it is me - but it seems like you are heel striking (collapsing of the heels). Running back on the heels often indicates lack of basic movement efficiency and/or quadriceps dominance. I try to focus on a few simple cues - smooth, up and over, and down. Allowing the off foot to come up towards the support knee will cure an assortment of other common mechanical problems. Also, you are trying to accelerate, but it looks like you are reaching instead of pushing back.

You def should be sprinting 3 or more times weekly at this point.