Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Question Regarding Tempo Work

Re: Question Regarding Tempo Work

Everything you do in your day gets added into your training volume like it or not.

I do not think people understand this very simple idea about training. What you do before training and what you do after training will effect your training.

We can't just apply a workout without having a complete picture of what other things are going on for you or your athletes.

I read comments on Instagram or here or anywhere and oddly it does not resemble what I have witnessed for decades at the gym or at the track and I have spent a good portion of my life in these places.

We want to train efficiently and we want efficient recovery and I do not want to spend hours and hours everyday training. I don't want to waste my time or others time.

EVERYTHING you do in your day gets added into training. If you cut the lawn, if you do chores at home and if you are raising children. I know most of the men on this site likely don't do all the chores ( ouch right? ) but one does not just keep adding into the training without considering what is your work and how do you spend your time and energy OUTSIDE of training.

It's tough coaching yourself unless you've had enough coaching in the past that has been a high enough level to understand what you are doing without having someone watch.

If you have more specific questions message me via info not PM as I find it annoying. I will help answer your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Can't do deadlifts or pound some rev lunges?
    I'm trying to avoid axle deadlifts right now. Even if I use straps, my hand problem gets worse with any reasonable weight.
    Reverse lunges are fine, same with pretty much any unilateral leg exercises. Difficult to load heavy enough without a rack though which is why I selected Rear foot elevated split squats (I raise the front foot too for extra ROM)

What I should do is make an attachment for my farmers handles which converts them into a frame. Then I can do Trap Bar Deads.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Charlie used to say there was the theory and method but you start where you are at.

You've started with a very large volume and distance with zero progression. You have set yourself up to fail without really knowing how to perform tempo.

A few ideas to think about.

Based on your comments running is not foreign to you. You might start with 6 x 100 meters walk back 100 meters. I can do this fairly easily now as it allows me to maintain proper posture because I am getting lots of rest. As soon as I chop the rest in half as I used to do it's significantly more difficult. This is true to almost anyone initially. Why I like to start this way is it's important to run properly. One of the key reasons we practice tempo is practice relaxed running with excellent mechanics.

Another trick we used to use is mixing butt kicks into the mix with exercises on each end of the 100m distance.
    or
    butt kicks down and shake back which is like a jog with as much upper body relaxation as possible dropping your arms and shoulders
    or
    tempo in the pool
    or
    tempo on the bike
    or
    run 50 meters / walk 50 meters start with 6 x 50m and if it goes well do a second set use a strict 5 minute recovery off your feet, shaking legs and not doing anything but rest and stretch
    or
    tripling over 100 meters and tempo pace back use 6 x 100m to begin

Tempo can be modified many ways.

Here is a general rule to use for tempo. Initially, I always give more rest to set whom ever to succeed. If that doesn't work, I shorten the distance. Ideally, you use x distance for rest but if x distance is too little then lengthen the rest within reason and be consistent and keep track and progress over time if able. As a person gets more fit you can run tempo faster and do longer rest or slow tempo down and shorten the rest.

I think lots of people get confused about tempo because they run tempo alone without knowing what to do or he or she is not clear on the speed of the runs in relative terms to ones fitness.

Masters athletes are different than athletes because maintaining fitness, strength and health without injury is an ongoing challenge. It's difficult for athletes and they are young and healthy. Aging requires a whole different set of rules and you need to be more conservative and add in TONS of regenerative tools to just stay on par.

Try the push up sit up workout and that will give you some idea how fit you are. Run 100 meters and do 15 push ups, run 100 meters and do 20 sit-ups and repeat to 10 sets. ( tempo speed) and if it was easy repeat another set. Vary the sit ups as per the muti position sit-ups I do in GPP. ( you can start with 1 set of 6 x 100m or do 2 (6x100m)
    Hi Angela, thank you, lots of info here.

I'm by no means a masters athlete, only 31. Athleticism is still there but injuries make it difficult for me to play much competitive lacrosse anymore so my training has less direction than it use to.

When you do butt kicks, do you point your knees straight down for a quad stretch or allow them to come forward in a more natural running motion?

What does "tripling over 100m" mean?

I like the idea of starting with 6 x 100m with 100m walk back recovery. Less than half the volume and longer breaks between sets compared to what I did that first workout. Easy to build up from there and add ab work, calisthenics, etc throughout the workout.

Not to go off-topic from this thread but how much volume do you recommend for speed work?
    All my sessions this month have been between 240m-320m total distance (sticking between 10m-40m with full recovery so far).

Quote Originally Posted by vision1 View Post
    I'm trying to avoid axle deadlifts right now. Even if I use straps, my hand problem gets worse with any reasonable weight.
    Reverse lunges are fine, same with pretty much any unilateral leg exercises. Difficult to load heavy enough without a rack though which is why I selected Rear foot elevated split squats (I raise the front foot too for extra ROM)

What I should do is make an attachment for my farmers handles which converts them into a frame. Then I can do Trap Bar Deads.
    I prefer db rev lunges 60-110lbs for sets 5-8 reps.

Hi Angela, thank you, lots of info here.

I'm by no means a masters athlete, only 31. Athleticism is still there but injuries make it difficult for me to play much competitive lacrosse anymore so my training has less direction than it use to.

When you do butt kicks, do you point your knees straight down for a quad stretch or allow them to come forward in a more natural running motion?

What does "tripling over 100m" mean?

I like the idea of starting with 6 x 100m with 100m walk back recovery. Less than half the volume and longer breaks between sets compared to what I did that first workout. Easy to build up from there and add ab work, calisthenics, etc throughout the workout.

Not to go off-topic from this thread but how much volume do you recommend for speed work?
    All my sessions this month have been between 240m-320m total distance (sticking between 10m-40m with full recovery so far).
    Not knowing much about your training the speed volume looks ok. If you have access to a timing system I would use it for your speed sessions - it's a game changer esp when training alone.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I prefer db rev lunges 60-110lbs for sets 5-8 reps.
    I probably do too, they're just a bit easier though and require more weight.
    Yesterday did 3x5 per leg with 2x65 dumbbells and a 20 chain. That's the heaviest my dumbbells go until I buy more 2.5s, 5s, 10s, and 25s.

No access to a timing system, have to go by feel.

I probably do too, they're just a bit easier though and require more weight.
    Yesterday did 3x5 per leg with 2x65 dumbbells and a 20 chain. That's the heaviest my dumbbells go until I buy more 2.5s, 5s, 10s, and 25s.

No access to a timing system, have to go by feel.
    I'm headed to the track right now for testing day (timed 3pt 30, slj, triple jump). Timing systems are fairly cheap these days.

Jawku speed looks like a cheap option

Jawku speed looks like a cheap option
    I have a 10% discount code if you decide to purchase.

All sold out right now but I'll consider it thanks