Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sprinting While Sore

Re: Sprinting While Sore

Hello,

I think you are right. The volume is too high. I will be dropping the 10x10's after this week. I think I will be doing mostly 3x6's.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I would probably squat twice a week, while using 2-3 sets with 4 being the most, keep the squat no higher than 6 reps, and keep the intensity between 50-80% with 85% being the most.

Do not feel the need to work at the top end of the given percentage range because you think you need to lift heavier. Your lower body weights are a facilitator and enhancer of your performance on the track. After 4 weeks if this doesn't work, then you can consider dropping the squat for deadlifts.

Also remember the means utilized in lower body training sessions isnít critical, just choose something that you can execute with a high level of proficiency and produce a solid output on.

Agree. Works way better doing this for me. Almost have to think half ass it for Type A people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    IMO Your volumes are way too high. There are times during the year when a foundation of strength endurance/hypertrophy can lead to later strength then power gains BUT doing weeks of 10x10 for two weeks (then 4x8 for two) then again after the 8th weeks you are back to 10x10 (or so it seems) is so high I don't think you can every truly develop or demonstrate the maximal velocity that yo might be capable of. You have MORE than enough body mass in fact you would do well do drop some body weight but one of the ways to do that is to significantly reduce your weights volume. 10x10 is way in excess of anything that's going to contribute to even acceleration development let alone speed development (max vel.). One must get away from volumes as high as you have indicated for a number of weeks to create enough of an unload to likely hit the type of speeds you are probably capable of.
    Thank you Pioneer. I believe you have hit many nails on the head regarding why this volume and method of lifting makes little sense if one wishes to prioritize his or her speed development.

If you wish to follow up on these ideas you can look at some of the most comprehensive products on the site which talk about Weights for Speed.

Performing squats more often to avoid soreness will help you avoid soreness for repeating squats.

If you wish to sprint, practice sprinting with full breaks, preceded with a full warm up which for most is 45 to 60 minutes of general conditioning as shown in GPP for all sports.

If you wish to become an elite sprinter, studying the content in this store, including WEIGHTS for Speed, will help you understand why more squatting works against you on the track not for you.