Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 132

Thread: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    586

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Charlie would not use this as part of his ‘Stimulus Package’ at any event bc he would not use anything he could not count on being at most track and field Meets. He mentioned that several times over the years. He needed to remind our dumb asses. In addition, to it not making any sense to do that at all under any circumstance.
    Six days out, sure. And only after the speed work is completed.

  2. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    586

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    https://youtu.be/tunOStyMqKo

    History

    And speaking about Mike Hurst and Stimulus.

    Mike Hurst tweeted many years ago that Carl looked like “the Cat that ate the Canary” when he saw him walking in the tunnel under the stadium the next day. While whistling? Can’t remember the exact tweet.

    Here is a video of Carl being interviewed after the bust.
    Stating that Ben is a completely different person from Friday to Saturday (24 hours) ...he doesn’t know what Ben does to stimulate himself for the Finals.
    Carl knew what was coming. No doubt about it.
    https://youtu.be/tunOStyMqKo
    https://youtu.be/tunOStyMqKo

  3. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    586

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Carl’s interview starts at the 1:15 mark

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Additionally, SM said with DeGrasse he could not back squat 60kg?! IMO it's no wonder his acceleration was poor. That deficiency is down to coaching. No, he was never going to approach huge numbers and in truth it's unlikely he ever needed to but that's a big miss in preparation. He also points out that he also had Jobodwana (who like DeGrasse moved on) who at 140 lbs. (I've seen two numbers for him which have his body-weight at 157 lbs. and another 160 lbs.) "I would not even dare to put that weight on his back because he was so frail."

    Okay, another miss IMO. I think it's highly unlikely those guys ever needed any massive absolute numbers (or were even capable of it) but in relative terms those numbers demonstrate really poor force output and thus a big missed step in preparation in strength>power development. So, it seems the ways of strength development he employed from his coaching history were a bunch of low output exercises ala Bosch.

  5. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    586

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Additionally, SM said with DeGrasse he could not back squat 60kg?! IMO it's no wonder his acceleration was poor. That deficiency is down to coaching. No, he was never going to approach huge numbers and in truth it's unlikely he ever needed to but that's a big miss in preparation. He also points out that he also had Jobodwana (who like DeGrasse moved on) who at 140 lbs. (I've seen two numbers for him which have his body-weight at 157 lbs. and another 160 lbs.) "I would not even dare to put that weight on his on his back because he was so frail."

    Okay, another miss IMO. I think it's highly unlikely those guys ever needed any massive absolute numbers (or were even capable of it) but in relative terms those numbers demonstrate really poor force output and thus a big missed step in preparation in strength>power development. So, it seems the ways of strength development he employed from his coaching history were a bunch of low output exercises ala Bosch.
    Did he really say that?

    Here he is squatting 195 lbs or 88. I wonder why he would say that if itís not true. This is getting weird. I like the guy but letís get the facts straight. I remember James Smith..who is as we know, one smart fellow...would critique him on Twitter. Mainly on lifting technique for his athletes and SM got bent out of shape. If James gave me any feedback regarding training...it would be more than well received.

    https://images.app.goo.gl/qy5UN9UEGaXEajSf6

    Iíll take a listen to it soon.

  6. #126
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    It seems like he's exaggerating just to support his opinion-that in his mind a heavy squat has little transfer to spring performance. If that's all someone did I would agree it would lessen the transfer and it's a mistake though that is not usually the case. The degree of transfer has to also be related to the prior development of the individual athlete and with the capacities he is suggesting I would have to believe the back squat would be more useful in their development. I don't know why a reduced transfer would occur that would make the lift, itself even at sub-maximal intensities, ineffective. He seems to associate the squat as a lift one can only use very large loads in and then stating it has no transfer?!

    If your world class athlete is truly so frail you would not even dare to put 60 kg on his back (let alone attempt to squat it) then you have not prepared the athlete properly. It shows a huge deficiency in development for that athlete. I believe such exaggerations are ridiculous and don't really serve to strengthen the point.

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    586

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Never looked into Fran's Methods. I ask myself if it's a lifting program or chicken-soup type of lifts. For Team or Sprinters?

    I just had a long post that somehow got wiped out. I thought there was auto-save. I also Copied it so I wouldn't lose it, but no, dang.
    In a nutshell, it was about sub 9.8 sprinters all having a trail. Free pass for one (Memo) coming back from JAM with a ton of Puma Gear late 2011/early 2012 posting it on SM and quickly deleting it to stay his distance. I got the screenshot though His dumbass must have been backhanded next time he saw them.
    PPL NOW talking about CF but have in their tight circle (temp. free-pass) kinda like Ato not knowing about Mo. So watch what you say Coaches...may come out in time.
    CF is not to blame for all of this. That's the Game.

    Everyone should just focus on their own good thing and not put down others.

  8. #128

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    It seems like he's exaggerating just to support his opinion-that in his mind a heavy squat has little transfer to spring performance. If that's all someone did I would agree it would lessen the transfer and it's a mistake though that is not usually the case. The degree of transfer has to also be related to the prior development of the individual athlete and with the capacities he is suggesting I would have to believe the back squat would be more useful in their development. I don't know why a reduced transfer would occur that would make the lift, itself even at sub-maximal intensities, ineffective. He seems to associate the squat as a lift one can only use very large loads in and then stating it has no transfer?!

    If your world class athlete is truly so frail you would not even dare to put 60 kg on his back (let alone attempt to squat it) then you have not prepared the athlete properly. It shows a huge deficiency in development for that athlete. I believe such exaggerations are ridiculous and don't really serve to strengthen the point.
    My understanding is that CF used the squat and bench press in heavy loads but low repetitions as an added CNS stimulus ( to fill the cup) I think the wordS are. How heavy they would go would depend on how drained the CNS was from a speed session. That is my interpretation. Also the heavy squat combined with high intensity sprinting didn't seem to hurt any of CFs athletes, they were all pretty fast. LOL
    But SM, it's beginning to come clear why many athletes are leaving him.

  9. #129
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1,843

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    My understanding is that CF used the squat and bench press in heavy loads but low repetitions as an added CNS stimulus ( to fill the cup) I think the wordS are. How heavy they would go would depend on how drained the CNS was from a speed session. That is my interpretation. Also the heavy squat combined with high intensity sprinting didn't seem to hurt any of CFs athletes, they were all pretty fast. LOL
    But SM, it's beginning to come clear why many athletes are leaving him.
    He blew off Ben's weights background/performances in the podcast describing him being an anomaly. I guess he missed the results of Desai Williams, Angella Taylor-Issajenko and others as they were "pretty good" too reaching WC/OG finals and developed via many of those same methods. Charlie pointed out years ago and I think it still holds true that a general weights approach rather than the specific approach had been a part in creating the best sprinters, historically.

  10. #130

    Re: Master Coach Charlie Francis Oly / What do you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    He blew off Ben's weights background/performances in the podcast describing him being an anomaly. I guess he missed the results of Desai Williams, Angella Taylor-Issajenko and others as they were "pretty good" too reaching WC/OG finals and developed via many of those same methods. Charlie pointed out years ago and I think it still holds true that a general weights approach rather than the specific approach had been a part in creating the best sprinters, historically.
    Most shit in life is best when done in simple, fundamental ways. From investing to sports to shooting guns to business. Humans love to complicate shit.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •