Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Calf Issues

  1. #1
    Moderator X-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,721

    Calf Issues

    to anyone who can help, im getting serious issues with calf cramps. its been bothering me for the past few months and whenever I run my left calf will spasm/cramp and I stop immediately. basically it would be impossible to continue running when this happens and soreness would last for another 1-2days.

    ive tried eccentric heel drops, icing, rolling, stretching etc and next step is finding whether chiropractor would be more beneficial or physio. at this stage im getting tired of it happening. ive orthodics etc etc etc

    any ideas
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

  2. #2
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,833

    Re: Calf Issues

    I'm sure your hydration and minerals are in check?

  3. #3
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: Calf Issues

    Yea cramping and muscle spasms means your deficient in some kind of mineral. but is it only that calf thats cramping? If so, id find a good doc or a therapist. Might need someone to dig in there and see whats goin on

  4. #4
    Moderator X-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Calf Issues

    everything seems ok nutrition-wise. yes only calf cramp on left for last while. very frustrating!
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

  5. #5
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: Calf Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
    everything seems ok nutrition-wise. yes only calf cramp on left for last while. very frustrating!
    you need to see a knowledgeable therapist or doctor

  6. #6
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: Calf Issues

    Calves are interesting because we use them constantly.

    Have you tried

    Head stands ( don't laugh. I do them now and it's 10x better than putting feet up. progress to do them or your head will hurt)

    putting your feet up

    hot and cold in pale that goes up to the knee

    Likely cal mag and or zinc. Kinda no brainer supplements with regards with both are low in our current diets and absorption is an issue and both involved in many cellular functions so if we are low lots goes wrong fast

    It would be great to find an awesome doc or therapist but you can also begin to trouble shoot as we have always done with many things

    I've had tight calves my entire life and so did Charlie and both of us have / had big calves in relative terms to some

    Icing is fine but the contrast gives you the circulation

    You could have lots of inflammation going on due to standing a lot or generally having poor circulation

    are you wearing high heals too much LOL ( yep, I am kidding)

    Stretching might actually make things worse depending on the issue

    As an aside I saw football players doing endless calf stuff at the gym at York yesterday and the team for York has never been very good. They were really killing the calf exercises and I thought to myself the comments Charlie made about lots of athletes NOT needing calf raises because we are already getting some much work in the calf that if you do lots of extra it becomes detrimental

    New shoes often is a must / bad shoes are like bad tires on a car and protect the foot and calf which both act as shock absorbers unless they are over used

    Lastly without going on and on as I could is TREAT yourself system wise. Biggest mistake most make when it comes to injuries. Local therapy is fine. I can't know what is going on with you without speaking to you. Each of us typically have a weak spot or failing point and when under stress it / the weak spot reacts somehow.

    Have you ever injured your calves?

    When was the lsat time you replaced your shoes?

    what information are you not thinking of or telling us? Sometimes we don't realize how wear and tear adds up.

    One last thing. When I had issues with my feet and or calves, the first 30 or even 40 min of my training which would have been my warm up was done without any calf involvement what so ever. Then I would move to using the feet for most priority issue.

    Are you hamstrings tight?

  7. #7
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,833

    Re: Calf Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Calves are interesting because we use them constantly.

    Have you tried

    Head stands ( don't laugh. I do them now and it's 10x better than putting feet up. progress to do them or your head will hurt)

    putting your feet up

    hot and cold in pale that goes up to the knee

    Likely cal mag and or zinc. Kinda no brainer supplements with regards with both are low in our current diets and absorption is an issue and both involved in many cellular functions so if we are low lots goes wrong fast

    It would be great to find an awesome doc or therapist but you can also begin to trouble shoot as we have always done with many things

    I've had tight calves my entire life and so did Charlie and both of us have / had big calves in relative terms to some

    Icing is fine but the contrast gives you the circulation

    You could have lots of inflammation going on due to standing a lot or generally having poor circulation

    are you wearing high heals too much LOL ( yep, I am kidding)

    Stretching might actually make things worse depending on the issue

    As an aside I saw football players doing endless calf stuff at the gym at York yesterday and the team for York has never been very good. They were really killing the calf exercises and I thought to myself the comments Charlie made about lots of athletes NOT needing calf raises because we are already getting some much work in the calf that if you do lots of extra it becomes detrimental

    New shoes often is a must / bad shoes are like bad tires on a car and protect the foot and calf which both act as shock absorbers unless they are over used

    Lastly without going on and on as I could is TREAT yourself system wise. Biggest mistake most make when it comes to injuries. Local therapy is fine. I can't know what is going on with you without speaking to you. Each of us typically have a weak spot or failing point and when under stress it / the weak spot reacts somehow.

    Have you ever injured your calves?

    When was the lsat time you replaced your shoes?

    what information are you not thinking of or telling us? Sometimes we don't realize how wear and tear adds up.

    One last thing. When I had issues with my feet and or calves, the first 30 or even 40 min of my training which would have been my warm up was done without any calf involvement what so ever. Then I would move to using the feet for most priority issue.

    Are you hamstrings tight?
    How can I make my calves bigger? I have big upper legs but skinny calves.

  8. #8
    Moderator X-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Calf Issues

    Ange, thanks for the reply. my shoes are always fairly new as I rotate them ALOT and dump shoes frequently. had calf issues in the past but running flairs up my left calf especially. it spasms and that's when I know to stop! high heels...….LOL id break my neck! im gonna try acupuncture as my wife had great results with this particular therapist and he insists he can help me. fingers crossed and ill keep ye'all posted
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

  9. #9
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,785

    Re: Calf Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    How can I make my calves bigger? I have big upper legs but skinny calves.
    Go back end time and choose parents with big calves

  10. #10
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,833

    Re: Calf Issues

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Go back end time and choose parents with big calves
    Is that all? No donkey calf raises?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •