Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Prep

Outdoor Prep

I would like to hear how you guys would plan for this situation.

I spent time today looking at all the indoor and outdoor meets in my area. I came up with a ton of indoor opportunities 8-10 meets but only about 5-7 outdoor meets. The main issue is the weather and short prep time. Here in North Carolina the weather starts to get cold around Nov till about early April. No major opportunities to do quality work from Nov - April and only about 4 weeks between indoor and outdoor season.

Here's a rough outline to what I was thinking. Final block for indoor prep which will be November would include some longer runs (Mon/Fri accel, Wed: 4x150). Indoor comp would include (Mon: accel, Tue: Gs circuits, Wed: 3x150, Th: rest, Fri: throws/starts). The short outdoor prep which would be in March (M/F accel, Wed SE, Sat: int tempo or whatever you wanna call it). Not many 60's in this prep because of the weather, I should be able to maintain my speed over this short outdoor period and focus on accel, SE, fitness. Yes, I understand there's 4 higher intensity days but the volume is on the low end.

Mon: 8-10x30
    Tue: Bike tempo and circuits OR REST
    Wed: 2x20+ 80-100-120-150 rest 12-20mins
    Thur: REST
    Fri: 6-10x30-40
    Sat: 2x20 200-180-150

My reasons for the above outdoor prep not including 60's with avg weather the 60's won't be fast enough and most likely not safe either. Why not - focus on things that can be done safely and with higher quality (starts, se, fitness).

Re: Outdoor Prep

Another option could be to add another month of longer runs to my indoor prep. Instead of having one month of longer runs in subpar weather I would have 2 months (1 month good weather - 1 month shitty weather). Then try to maintain those qualities over indoor comp before starting outdoor prep.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Another option could be to add another month of longer runs to my indoor prep. Instead of having one month of longer runs in subpar weather I would have 2 months (1 month good weather - 1 month shitty weather). Then try to maintain those qualities over indoor comp before starting outdoor prep.
    I would not hesitate adding more time to my indoor training unless you have some critical reason you HAD to be outside. People under estimate what cold does to muscles and while there are a multitude of things you can do ( bump up good fats in your shakes, wear extra layers of high tech gear to keep muscles warm, increase hot and colds to acclimatize body to cold ) nothing beats the relaxation of not having to tighten up and fight to stay warm. Just my opinion based on training with Charlie for a few decades. HE was the one left picking up the pieces of preventable injuries don't forget.

Gonna try and meet up with Trevor Graham to see what changes he made to his group when training in north carolina cold weather. Since I have 8 months to train for my first indoor meet, I made some minor changes.

Weeks 1-12: GPP - general fitness and acceleration development Runs 0-50m
    Weeks 13-20: SPP - Focus on max velocity Runs 0-50 and efe/fef/flys
    Weeks 21-28: SPP - Focus on max velocity and speed endurance Runs 0-200m (similar to outdoor prep)
    Weeks 29-32: Pre comp - cold weather - the runs will be short sprints 0-30 and submax 150s (try to maintain most of my SE qualities)

Damn is Trevor Graham not in hiding anymore. What does he do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Damn is Trevor Graham not in hiding anymore. What does he do now?
    Why should he be hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Why should he be hiding?
    after balco he went ghost

after balco he went ghost
    He's doing well - he was training hs/college athletes at my wife gym.

oh, so u just happen to run into him, or been knew him?

oh, so u just happen to run into him, or been knew him?
    I know his son who played football at nc state and ran track.