Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 races

Re: 2018 races

Getting more of that team aspect that so many seem to want is why I think an emphasis on relays is so important for kids-not at the exclusion of individual event, however but always keeping that as a theme. With that others are more likely to show up for practice and on time because teammates are depending upon them and vice versa. I don't work with that age any longer but that was my observation.

Relays are a really good way for a new team as the one I am working with to get out and win as well so I agree with you. It's fun, it requires work but it's not terrible work and cooperation which is good and you get to feature speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Relays are a really good way for a new team as the one I am working with to get out and win as well so I agree with you. It's fun, it requires work but it's not terrible work and cooperation which is good and you get to feature speed.
    Definitely and along the way there can be a lot of individual development. Early on I found it more likely they show up and show up on time if for no other reason other than their relay involvement. Over time the individual development would take on increased importance for them.

That's interesting to me as I did not like the relay. I found the girls were not hard working but in retro spect the coaching was not so much hands on. Now I see the appeal and it's a great deal of fun to coach as well as watch how they figure things out for themselves.

I totally agree Pioneer with the development opportunities.

I am coaching the same school again this year and what amazes me is how much untapped talent there is at the high school level.

One of the thing I find happening however is the kids love the team sports over individual sports. I asked a friend of mine about this who I ran track with who also did many team sports. His comment was many kids would rather play rugby or basketball than track because they either don't like to lose or they prefer having their friends around?

The other thing I've noticed is it's pretty easy to the kids to participate at the meets but getting them to routinely practice is a bit tougher.

I don't think it's easy to properly develop kids without a fair bit of knowledge, experience and understanding on how to put all aspects together.

What continually amazes me is how fast many kids are. And the question I guess what exactly is happening once these kids run fast?
    Good stuff - nice change of pace instead of all the gossip about other professional athletes and their coaches.

Most good athletes who play team sports are more interested in "SPP" (playing their sports) they have no interest in "GPP" (weights running etc). Track practice is nothing but gpp for team athletes add in with shitty coaches who read forums and do the same workouts their coaches did. If we had more good coaches at the high school level we would see more football players etc running....

What continually amazes me is how fast many kids are. And the question I guess what exactly is happening once these kids run fast?
    I have no proof to back this up, but here is my guess:

What do a majority of track coaches do still? Overtrain the hell out of athletes at medium speeds. The fastest kids not attending the typical high school practice might be a good thing! It keeps them healthy and keeps them from practicing running at 85%. I coach at the D3 collegiate level and almost every single freshman I get is surprised that we don't run a bunch of 200s on Mondays.

When an athlete makes the flip to track in high school, they might drop football in the fall and/or basketball in the winter so that they can really focus on track. In my opinion, this is specializing way too early in an athlete's lifelong development. What's even worse is if all of the high-intensity football training and explosive basketball playing is replaced with running for the sake of volume.

Let explosive athletes be explosive year-round.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Good stuff - nice change of pace instead of all the gossip about other professional athletes and their coaches.

Most good athletes who play team sports are more interested in "SPP" (playing their sports) they have no interest in "GPP" (weights running etc). Track practice is nothing but gpp for team athletes add in with shitty coaches who read forums and do the same workouts their coaches did. If we had more good coaches at the high school level we would see more football players etc running....
    Cant agree, the kids dont have the heart, plus them dumb ass football coaches convince boys that they need to be running routes all year to get faster aka, do nothing but play ball. I have had issues getting football players to come out, even after having proven results with other kids. THere are many terrible track coaches, but they pale in comparison to the football coaches who refuse to let their athletes run track.

I know a few coaches down here who have issues getting kids to run, and they know their stuff. THe few football coaches who allow kids to run, also have an excellent football team....too bad majority of those coaches cant wrap there minds around that. IMO during the off season, every kid should be forced to play another sport...track, bball, weight lifting....not football then on to flag football, then back to football practice all summer. 99% of the parents dont know any better, but a few do. THose few, dont allow coaches to dictate what their child does.
    So these tender hearted, everyone is a winner ass kids who coaches coddle are scared of real comp.....Kids will do what they are told. Tell a football player he cant play ball next year if he doesnt run track...he will run track.

[QUOTE=RB34;258767]Good stuff - nice change of pace instead of all the gossip about other professional athletes and their coaches.

Oh and Mr. Anti Pro athlete talk, where the hell where you when we where talking about Anthony schwartz? He is not a pro.....isnt that what you want to talk about?

Agreed that there is definitely some bad hs track training out there (and collegiate for that matter) that treats all sprinters as if they are preparing for the 400m (if they are lucky) but often their training looks like it is designed for an 800m athlete.

However, there's also a LOT of bad football training practices being utilized so that sport might not necessarily "save" some potential track talents from bad track coaches.

[QUOTE=RB34;258767]Good stuff - nice change of pace instead of all the gossip about other professional athletes and their coaches.

Really.. you had to say that... I momentarily forgot that we are here to only post what you would like to read on the forum.