Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 races

Re: 2018 races

It's my understanding that you have a win,lose situation going on right?

What is the down side for those who coach and work there? They are still getting paid no matter what. The hustle is gone.

We already know and are able to see the downside for the athletes.

I hope I am wrong on this. If I am right it feels exploitive. Exactly what I have been staying will happen without a union of some sort in place. Track needs change to protect the athletes but unless they know it the coaches, administrators and agents don't have any incentive. Can you imagine Bolt or Bailey or Lindford doing anything like that at this point? Or any point?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post

What is the down side for those who coach and work there? They are still getting paid no matter what. The hustle is gone.

I hope I am wrong on this. If I am right it feels exploitive. Exactly what I have been staying will happen without a union of some sort in place. Track needs change to protect the athletes but unless they know it the coaches, administrators and agents don't have any incentive. Can you imagine Bolt or Bailey or Lindford doing anything like that at this point? Or any point?
    Doing what?

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post
    My HS track training was very similar to that. I remember running 600s, 400s, and 200s (of course). We also went on a 3-mile run 1-2x per week. It was "400 training" in my eyes. As others have pointed out, it probably was better suited for mid-distance guys. I continued be a part of track because I've always loved to race. But I absolutely did not enjoy practice.

Fast forward to when I began training myself at 27. I now love practice as it fits what we do: run fast!

Don't you think the coaches have no clue on what to do?

Most people really don't understand how to do the simplest speed sessions. And entire plans for training are not simple unless you have some hand holding. Charlie did a lot of hand holding with many guys who came here and showed them exactly how to do things. Failing that people make stuff up usually based on what they did and thought worked.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Doing what?
    I don't understand your question.

I don't understand your question.
    Can you imagine Bolt or Bailey or Lindford doing anything like that at this point? Or any point?

I haven't been following any of the TF news or gossip in over 4yrs.

Linford and Bolt are both examples of all time greats sticking to a long term coach and not hopping around. There are many other examples.
    The employment and business model of athletics does not align to a union very well. If the coaching organisation does not work for them they have to make the choice to walk elsewhere. Most athletes have a window of about 3 years to establish a personal performance and business acumen to support a full time sporting career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA46rh1LQAo

Get ready for a 9.78 from BAKER some time. Didn't Charlie say neural patterning occurs when a sprinter runs a windy pb they inevitably run that same time legally later on.

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA46rh1LQAo

Get ready for a 9.78 from BAKER some time. Didn't Charlie say neural patterning occurs when a sprinter runs a windy pb they inevitably run that same time legally later on.
    Not “inevitably”, but certainly possible. Obadele Thompson, for example, never came anywhere near his windy PB. In the case of Baker, his 6.40 indoors already suggested that a low 9.8 was on the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Not “inevitably”, but certainly possible. Obadele Thompson, for example, never came anywhere near his windy PB. In the case of Baker, his 6.40 indoors already suggested that a low 9.8 was on the cards.
    I think the injuries was the main reason why he never reached those times.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Linford and Bolt are both examples of all time greats sticking to a long term coach and not hopping around. There are many other examples.
    The employment and business model of athletics does not align to a union very well. If the coaching organisation does not work for them they have to make the choice to walk elsewhere. Most athletes have a window of about 3 years to establish a personal performance and business acumen to support a full time sporting career.
    Walter Dix is another example, He has been every where....and now he is back home being coached by his pops.