Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 races

Re: 2018 races

The original post of this thread was about Coleman running a fast 60m. Coleman is a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Agreed that there is definitely some bad hs track training out there (and collegiate for that matter) that treats all sprinters as if they are preparing for the 400m (if they are lucky) but often their training looks like it is designed for an 800m athlete.

However, there's also a LOT of bad football training practices being utilized so that sport might not necessarily "save" some potential track talents from bad track coaches.
    You are correct - there are plenty of bad football coaches but the athlete's believe in the football training (agility ladders, bag/cone drills, mat drills etc) vs going out to the track and running laps of 400m. I always preach 90% of the battle is believing in your training. I didn't run track in high school because I thought it was boring ( countless 200-400 intervals etc) vs competing with my football teammates etc. This is coming from a athlete who enjoyed the physical preparation side of sport!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    You are correct - there are plenty of bad football coaches but the athlete's believe in the football training (agility ladders, bag/cone drills, mat drills etc) vs going out to the track and running laps of 400m. I always preach 90% of the battle is believing in your training. I didn't run track in high school because I thought it was boring ( countless 200-400 intervals etc) vs competing with my football teammates etc. This is coming from a athlete who enjoyed the physical preparation side of sport!!!
    My HS track training was very similar to that. I remember running 600s, 400s, and 200s (of course). We also went on a 3-mile run 1-2x per week. It was "400 training" in my eyes. As others have pointed out, it probably was better suited for mid-distance guys. I continued be a part of track because I've always loved to race. But I absolutely did not enjoy practice.

Fast forward to when I began training myself at 27. I now love practice as it fits what we do: run fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post
    My HS track training was very similar to that. I remember running 600s, 400s, and 200s (of course). We also went on a 3-mile run 1-2x per week. It was "400 training" in my eyes. As others have pointed out, it probably was better suited for mid-distance guys. I continued be a part of track because I've always loved to race. But I absolutely did not enjoy practice.

Fast forward to when I began training myself at 27. I now love practice as it fits what we do: run fast!
    I remember wanting to improve my speed I saw an ad in the local community paper for a track club. I contacted the coach and he told me I wouldn't be able to do speed work until I was able to complete 3-10miles training runs etc - it sounded more like cross country. I never contacted him again!!! My high school track coach is still the track coach and have done a great job sending kids to college and competing well in the state of Texas - I guess he has changed his training...

If i had to do it again I probably would have ran track because the races would have been my speed work and the 200-400m would have develop my general fitness etc. The plan was more L2S - long intervals early and more resistance, overspeed, shorter sprinters mid-late season.

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post

So almost all training was above race distance and below race pace. With the inevitable degradation of sprinting technique.
    I guess this means their baseball and football teams only train with the ball once every couple of weeks with a bag of cement strapped to one leg !
    Have these guys ever seen any scientific or empirical evidence that non specific physical training/technical work in large volumes correlates to sprinting success ? Assuming they understand the statement.

Back to pro athletes. Anyone seen what training model is used at Altis

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    So almost all training was above race distance and below race pace. With the inevitable degradation of sprinting technique.
    I guess this means their baseball and football teams only train with the ball once every couple of weeks with a bag of cement strapped to one leg !
    Have these guys ever seen any scientific or empirical evidence that non specific physical training/technical work in large volumes correlates to sprinting success ? Assuming they understand the statement.

Why don't you pay the money and attend their courses...

Its a model that aint working. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Its a model that aint working. lol
    Jodie Williams ........ Another classic case of coach hopping post her time in the junior ranks, finishing up at Altis, with a horrible downward curve of times for each subsequent season.

Jodie Williams ........ Another classic case of coach hopping post her time in the junior ranks, finishing up at Altis, with a horrible downward curve of times for each subsequent season.
    https://www.iaaf.org/athletes/great-...illiams-243924

when did she go to atlis?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    End of 2015. So the last 2 full seasons at Altis.
    Last good season was 2014 when she medalled at European and Commonwealth championships. Since then worse times and racing a lot less than in previous seasons. So 3 poor seasons, 2 of them at Altis.
    Like DeG did not go to Commonwealths recently. Like De G little/poor results so far this year.

https://www.thepowerof10.info/athlet...thleteid=26161