Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Training The Master Sprinter 35+

Re: Training The Master Sprinter 35+

Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    Did 300 total volume today. Smoked. Should’ve skipped the last run.

I like that low int day from Joel:

I do a cardiac power day once per week and did sled pushes for 60s and then fininshed with hict with the sled. One hard push, rest 3 sec, repeat then a hard pull, rest, repeat.

I’m going to do something like that tomorrow.
    1: Do you time your runs?

2: How old is your son?

I donít right now. I have a free lap device form years ago but it quit working and I havenít tried it in years.

Heís 9.

Iím having him do around 200m total volume plus 15-20 throw or jumps. Then the next day technical baseball hitting plus GS circuits or multi jump circuits, etc. So...

Day1 - sprints jumps or throws
    Day2 - hitting
    Day3 - off
    Day4 - sprints jumps or throws
    Day5 - hitting

I usually do a day of just playing catch so those skills donít erode.

Some days instead of jumps and throws iíll have him do 20-30 long toss baseball throws and weíll take it out to 150-200í for the last few. Thatís after sprints.

I don’t right now. I have a free lap device form years ago but it quit working and I haven’t tried it in years.

He’s 9.

I’m having him do around 200m total volume plus 15-20 throw or jumps. Then the next day technical baseball hitting plus GS circuits or multi jump circuits, etc. So...

Day1 - sprints jumps or throws
    Day2 - hitting
    Day3 - off
    Day4 - sprints jumps or throws
    Day5 - hitting

I usually do a day of just playing catch so those skills don’t erode.

Some days instead of jumps and throws i’ll have him do 20-30 long toss baseball throws and we’ll take it out to 150-200’ for the last few. That’s after sprints.
    Is he only playing baseball? Once I get my laptop back from geeksquad - I'll post some of the plans I have for my son once he turns 9. I have my son in swim class, he will start gymnastic this fall and maybe soccer and martial arts next summer. We will probably start the training process at 7 - no later then 8.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Is he only playing baseball? Once I get my laptop back from geeksquad - I'll post some of the plans I have for my son once he turns 9. I have my son in swim class, he will start gymnastic this fall and maybe soccer and martial arts next summer. We will probably start the training process at 7 - no later then 8.
    Baseball and basketball. Heís more naturally talented at basketball skill wise.

Iíd love to see the plans......since Iím winning it!

Baseball and basketball. He’s more naturally talented at basketball skill wise.

I’d love to see the plans......since I’m winning it!
    How is he handling the speed work at such a young age?

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    How is he handling the speed work at such a young age?
    He seems completely fine with it. Tolerated it better than me.

I think a big influencer is that we do it together and we go over technical aspects together. I coach him before his runs and tell him what to coach me during mine. I think that makes a HUGE difference. He knows the model from watching Asafa and others and we try to coach to that.

We do some jumps or weight throws before runs, go over the proper positions and what they feel like. For fun, we will throw in some baseball specific things like a leadoff or turn and run to catch a deep fly.

I even alternate taking BP with him when Iím in town.

My son did gymnastics at a really young age, it was great.

He broke his femur a couple years back and it set it held him back a lot. Same
    Thing happened to me.

He was pretty athletic before that. He will be a natural corner kid, since he has a strong arm and power. On travel teams he will play 3rd, catcher, RF, closing pitcher, maybe first.

City league he would play 1st,3rd, pitcher

My son did gymnastics at a really young age, it was great.

He broke his femur a couple years back and it set it held him back a lot. Same
    Thing happened to me.

He was pretty athletic before that. He will be a natural corner kid, since he has a strong arm and power. On travel teams he will play 3rd, catcher, RF, closing pitcher, maybe first.

City league he would play 1st,3rd, pitcher
    What da hell was he doing that he fractured his femur?
    Doing long jump from 5th floor?
    To brak that bone you have to do some crazy stuff, I only know one person who fractured femur, guy had a serious car accident.

An older kid kind of threw him down from behind after Jiu jitsu practice.

I broke mine as well. I was older but still preteen. There was a leak in the ceiling at a gym where I was playing basketball and we couldnít see the water. I slipped and broke my femur.

It ruined me for sports in high school. I was bed ridden for 6 months, couldnít walk for about a year and couldnít run really well for around another year.

8-12yrs old:

1: A different sport for each season - fall/winter/spring/summer...

2: Exercise intensity bodyweight up to 10% max. Don't be in a rush to add resistance.

3: Don't forget these skills at this stage - gymnastics, tumbling, martial arts, bw/mb drills.

4: Training freq 2-3 times a week, 30-90mins max.

1: Primary strength training will be bw/mb drills.

2: Primary jump training: Jump rope, box jumps, jumping up stairs, pogo jumps and other low intensity jumps/jump circuits. This is a great time to get "good feet" (agility ladders, dot drills, different low intensity hopping etc)

3: Primary speed work: will be there sport or other games and relays. No drills or serious speed work until they are strong enough to get in proper position.

4: General fitness: Mb core, mb tempo, running tempo, games etc. Tempo runs are kept to around 15-30yds.

Typical week may look like this:

M/F:
    Warmup
    Explosive mb and jumps
    Strength training
    Mb tempo
    Cooldown

Before he can progress to the next level of training:

1: Mb ball tempo 2-4lbs - 600 throws run 30yds btw each throw for 3 sets
    2: Pass the bw strength circuit 5 trips - 10 exercises.