Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Coach Ange's blog

Re: Coach Ange's blog

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    As one ages, people must focus much more on the correct dose of quality and qualified training method, combined with the balance of best practiced habits which naturally regenerate your system.

Sleep is at the top of this pyramid and all things which effect the quality of a good nights rest. Look at the old school ideas about sleep and reference Dr. Matthew Walker as one of the most relevant sources of info for sleep for 2021. ( artificial light, circadian rhythm disruption, fast or slow metabolizers of caffeine and the role it plays in quality sleep vs rest) If and or when you use tech to guide your resting heart rate or sleep score from the latest Oura ring ( one example only) you have an idea how to utilize the variables best suited for you the individual.

Nutrition and sleep work as drivers of one another. Alcohol is a known killer for sleep. Just becasue some seem to be able to drink beer and run 15k or do speed the next day does not make this habit a high performance contributing factor for success. Know the genetics you've been blessed with and understand how hormones change and how to optimize them as naturally as possible.

Stress is a natural and excellent byproduct of living a good life, yet when stress is out of balance with other aspects of your daily choices, your body will struggle to perform optimally. Are you chronically addicted to cortisol, thrill seeking and or an adrenalin junkie?

Methodology of Training
    Learn from the best in the world and understand some basic variables of training like duration of training, load progression, theory vs real life training and what variables will give you the biggest bang for your efforts?

The journey matters and each of us has to find what works best for us. If we are lucky enough we have an interested coach, a passionate friend or team of people we trust to help guide us on this journey.
    Great content.

No defense mechanism for a lack of sleep - Dr. M Walker

Over the years...learned to look at small things that add up
    No caffeine
    no fluoride
    no aluminum
    better shampoo
    better lotion
    where to get the best water for my body..water has memory
    Iron levels are right on point..not excessive like many my age.
    Breathing exercises through out the day...humming, etc.
    Etc, Etc

One day, maybe i'll grow my own fruits and veggies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Great content.

No defense mechanism for a lack of sleep - Dr. M Walker

Over the years...learned to look at small things that add up
    No caffeine
    no fluoride
    no aluminum
    better shampoo
    better lotion
    where to get the best water for my body..water has memory
    Iron levels are right on point..not excessive like many my age.
    Breathing exercises through out the day...humming, etc.
    Etc, Etc

One day, maybe i'll grow my own fruits and veggies, etc.
    CAFFEINE

As a competitive athlete I used caffeine on my speed days to "help" me and I felt (a subjective piece of info I know) that it was helpful. After I had my son and was no longer competing but continued to train I found coffee a bit too much for my system. But guess what? I am back using Bulletproof coffee or roasting my own green beans and making the best coffee which is higher in Vitamin C than OJ (that is if and when you roast green beans and they are responsibly farmed and zero added anything including preservatives which are common in most products now and other chemicals where we are unaware of)

FLUORIDE and other chemicals

I no longer use laundry, dishwashing and dishwasher soaps that are commercial available. I use as natural products as I am able to find and same with toothpaste. As neurotoxic issues grow in humans we need to protect our neurological selves. Chemicals never used to be mainstream but along game industrialization and farmers as well started looking to improve productivity for their plants and farmers looking to increase their yield. Take a look at dirty dozen and clean 15 food list so you will better educate yourself on where to prioritize organic spending.

BEAUTY PRODUCTS

Shampoo and creams and sunscreens are notorious for chemicals. Chemicals are hormone disruptors. 25 years ago we had less potential disruptions to our nervous system. Green washing is a thing going on now and I am going to guess we are going to start seeing Health washing going on as well. Green washing for those who may not be aware is the idea that companies pretend to be watching out for the planet while all they are really doing is marketing themselves as caring about the environment. Females are particularly vulnerable to chemicals because of their hormonal ups and downs but now men's toiletries are or have become a "thing".

Charlie innovated a plan for performance with help from fellow athletes and coaches across the globe when he was an athlete. He enjoyed track and wanted to be good and was intelligent enough to keep asking the right questions.

Performance for masters athletes is not different than performance for elite athletes but you need to be able to pivot the variables more than ever as aging has it's own set of rules which are harder to navigate at 40+ years for so many reasons.

I have done a great deal of thinking about Charlie's life and wellness and illness. He almost died as a very young boy of a burst appendix. The infection had incapsulated which saved his life. I have wondered about the massive doses of antibiotics they gave him and if that set the pace for a compromised immune system for the rest of his life? The reason I ask the question to myself is most medications apparently inhibit proper gut function of our gut biome. If our gut biome is messed up we are not brining in nutrients that
    keep us well and or thriving.

STRESS

The more I have learned over the past decade the more I realize that stress is likely the single biggest de-railer of our health.
    Do you have on going career health?
    How much stress do you have about your financial life?
    Do you find relationships easy or is dealing with people like managing a walk in an active mine field?
    The navigation of stress throughout our life is likely going to be an inherited trait we learn. We will either be fortunate to have been taught methods to positively neutralize stress or we will struggle but perhaps become aware of how to re-learn and or change our habits as we mature and or educate ourselves.

Elite Performance for speed training

Creating the ideal circumstances for becoming a world class sprinter has never been more easy with content sold here for now going on 22 years in January 2022.

Having said that we all know it's not easy but what is easy is chipping away at your passion to become the very best sprinter you are able to be, one piece of information at a time and or one habit of improving one thing at a time.

Passion has been a big driver for me in many areas of my life and becoming a speedster has been no exception. Before I met the father of my son, I wanted to do everything possible to be as fast as I was able.

Yes, what happened to my family in 1988 interrupted things somewhat but I am able to say with zero doubt I had a shot at my dream.

Take advantage this information while you are able to and good luck navigating and enjoy every second of your journey.
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 12-21-2021 at 09:08 PM.

Seeking advice, ridculous times and inconsistencies

This question has been posted by a member named Brett
    Hi all, been a while since I've posted on here, but constantly am reading through old threads. Thanks Ange for maintaining this goldmine of information.

So basically I have been training more serious this past year with more free time and access to a great facility. My goal has been to officially run under 7 in the 60. All year I have been on pace to do so. I've been consistently under 4.0 for 30m on my Freelap timing system. Early in the year I ran under 7.10 for 60 on my Freelap as well. So I know I have the raw power and basic qualities to run well. Progressing through the fall on a SL scheme, I have been able to run 2.8 pretty consistently to 20, 3.9 to 30, and 4.9 to 40m. I gradually did my best to take my time to perfect each segment before progressing and lengthening the runs. I started to run out to 40m around October. Segments being roughly 2.85+1.10+1.0x on average at this point.

It's kind of ridiculous, and I expect everyone to think I am trolling or something, but this is what really happened. As far as technically, I was really just working on making sure I maintained my body angle and avoiding popping up, just having a smooth transition. Some reps came out around my average time I just mentioned and everything was measured off correctly and my system was working just fine. Then, on a particular rep I checked my Freelap. It said "0.87" for the 30-40m split. The preceding split, however, was 1.25 from 20-30m. I thought perhaps the thing glitched and subtracted and added a tenth of a second or something. But during this session, I clocked 3 more ridiculous times (with some of my "normal times" here and there inbetween) which were a split of 0.91, 0.87 again, and finally 0.85. The caveat was that all of the fast runs were 1.2-1.3 from 20-30, whereas the more "normal" runs were around 1.10+1.0x. Since that session, on another day I clocked 0.86 on a flying drill. But that was only once. I have clocked plenty of pedestrian times since over 1.0.

I thought, assuming this is somehow legit, perhaps the very slow times during the 20-30 segment that set up the proceeding segments are indicative of ground contacts that are compensating for being too quick at the start. I thought perhaps I can try to shift this extra tenth or two onto the start, so that I can get into the proceeding segments more smoothly. I tried a few things and ended up running 0.9-1.0 during the 20-30 segments. This was compensated by running my first 20m about a tenth or two slower by emphasizing a few other things technically. However, using this strategy, I somehow slowed down a lot from 30-40. So the splits using this method were 2.9-3.0 for 20, 0.9-1.0 for 20-30, and 1.0-1.1 from 30-40. Doesn't make sense either.

Obviously I haven't been able to piece the best splits together. But if I somehow did, it would be 2.77+0.93+0.85. Which is pretty unbelievable. I just want to be able to optimize my time, but now I stepped into a can of worms where there are different approaches (cues, technical models, etc).

Unfortunately I have no film on these particular runs, which obviously occurred very unexpectedly on mostly 2 particular sessions. Hopefully I can catch another one soon so I can share what is going on. All I can tell you is how I felt. It was strange. My strides felt huge, but not through reaching of course. My arm action felt very reactive in those moments. I didn't really feel the ground or my legs, but I would say oddly enough that my hips FELT lower to the ground, which is very strange. It was so easy and I felt like I could keep running like that forever. That is how they felt. In comparison, my slow runs feel shorter and more efforted. I just want to know what is going on here, and how to consistently run faster. Using the same cues I don't get consistent results. I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:18 PM.

What Coach Ange has to say

Hello Brett,

Merry Christmas from Toronto ONTARIO CANADA. We had snow yesterday but today it's warm and rainy but nice for walking Winston, my 7 year old french bulldog.

Thank you for your note.

It has been my pleasure to maintain this website and keep information available to those interested in learning how Charlie trained as one of the 5th fastest men in the world. In addition to that he developed and coached one of the most dominate groups in track and field history and went on to share with the world how that was done. ( this kind of content is unprecedented because coaches and athletes almost never share information unless they have to or have nothing to lose) We now know so much more about cycling but would we have had Lance not had a problem?

You said you are training more seriously, and you have more time and greater access to a facility.

Are you training more? Differently? Now you have a coach? You have more money so you don't need to work?

Yeah, many reading this will be bored with the questions but in order to define how you are training more seriously we need to understand. What is the operative definition of " training more seriously?

My next set of questions are about your volume of speed work. You have done an in-depth explanation of why you are wanting to seek advice and explaining why you are frustrated with ridiculous times and inconsistencies, but we don't know what the volume of your speed work is?

First let's review a few key speed methodology terms.

Speed = 7 seconds or less with complete recovery ( usually ~1 minute per 10 m of speed work)

Speed Endurance =7 to 15 seconds ( depending on the person this would be repeat 60's and up to any breakdowns of 100m from ascending or descending order)

Specific Endurance
    = 15seconds or above up to about 600m (100 and 200m runners would not be running 600m per say or not until they are elite ( SE for 400m person would be most likely

Special Endurance =this has incomplete recovery/ for example 150's for 100 or 200m and 200's for 400/800m (NOTE= my coach decided I did not get as big of a bang for my buck doing special and specific endurance and his speculation on this was perhaps, I was lacking enough of a background on these types of runs early on in my athletic career)
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:39 PM.

Speed Volume

I would expect you to be doing volumes of sets of 10m as a first part to one of your speed sessions per week.

Maybe some 20's if you weren't loose enough and needed to warm up specifically to progress to 30's.

The faster, stronger and fitter I was the easier the transition was from 10m to 30m without needing to perform 20's to get there

Most of speed in the earliest part of my sprinting was performed in 10's and 30's.

Running at my very best when I was competing for Canada in the 60m and 100m hurdles I was doing 4 sets of 4x60m.

Full warm up with all drills of A's, B's, Running A's, butt kicks and 4 x 60m strides ( one hour)
    4(4x60m) with 2 to 3.5min rest between each rep of 60m and 10 to 11min rest between sets.

( Above is a small slice of a non-sprinter female workout who was plenty fast but lacked volumes of speed endurance, special and specific endurance, and not enough time in sport overall)

These are only some of my thoughts as it seems like you are overthinking the timing part and overthinking in general.

If you have the volumes and reps and keep practicing your plan ( which we assume you believe is a good plan) then eventually things should/will fall into place but sometimes it takes more time, over time

Repeating reps and piecing them together is part of the game of training.

Have you watched any of the seminars or read any of the material from the store?

( There is countless information about speed training everywhere. How do you quality information? Start from the best so you have a reference and a starting point on which to compare your own results and experiences.)

BRETT'S POSTED RESPONSE

Re: Seeking advice, ridculous times and inconsistencies
    Hey Ange, thanks for your thorough responses. To answer your questions, since the pandemic I have been working less and have more time and energy to devote to training. For the past several months I have been able to dedicate myself to two speed sessions a week, two weight sessions, along with 2-3 tempo and ab sessions a week. Due to work and location, my training for the past couple of year has been meager, disorganized, and hodge podge. But I have been able to establish my current regimen due to my situation.

As far as my actual training plan, I am focused on the 60m and so I am using an S-L scheme. Essentially one of the speed sessions I focus on acceleration more and the other more emphasis on max v. Progressing gradually 10m at a time. Starting with trying to perfect 10-20, then 20-30, 30-40. Lately session might look like 3x20mB, 2x(2-3x)40mB. So, volumes around 300m or so. I will progress to more 50-60m in these next few weeks. Tempo-wise, I stick with about 1000-2000m per session. With weights, I have been doing mostly 3x5 on bench and squat, I don't have any auxiliary lift equipment, but it gets the job done, and I've been about the strongest I've ever been at 5'10" 170lbs and my best set for bench has been 3x5x255lbs and squat being 3x5x435 at a parallel depth. I am quite flexible and do massage and additional stretching on tempo days. The volumes and intensities of my training are on the more conservative side as I've previously done speed volumes over 400 in the past. Having a written plan and not going beyond it, always trying to do less, has definitely helped me to avoid tightness in tiredness. So overall I do feel very good. I suspect that my inconsistencies are probably a result of not relaxing, and perhaps this is due to doing loads of high intensity explosive work at too high of an effort. I have been considering doing control speed (very submaximal and longer runs) as it could give me a better opportunity to relax. All the short near-max sprints have really done wonders for my starts, my best times for 20m being 2.77 and 30m being 3.89, but I have been all over the place going past 30. So I'm thinking maybe doing more upright work may provide the opportunity for more practice in that position and elicit more relaxation. Constantly reviewing the lectures and books from CF, I also just reviewed a seminar Charlie did for the SWIS symposium. Thank you for your responses.