Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: World Speed Summit 3

Re: World Speed Summit 3

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    come on RB. I was going to lose sleep over this for sure.
    If I remember correctly Bert Hill mention how Charlie recommended Barry to lose some of his hamstring mass which helped his open field speed (top speed)... Barry went on to rush for 2000yds and had several long tds 40yds+.

Charlie had a major influence on Bert's programs, tons on situps/pushups tempo runs and real speed work.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I think there's some value to American Football adopting how some of the European soccer clubs treat their athletes. The sport coaches shouldn't have much say in who trains and who doesn't. The sport coach should be totally removed from this process. It would make things much easier.
    In actuality, quite the opposite is true, in order for the sport coach to be objectively competent , which, according to my definition, very few are, he/she must be competent in all realms of preparation. I'm not keen on elaborating on this deeply here as I've done so already elsewhere. Contact me privately if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    In actuality, quite the opposite is true, in order for the sport coach to be objectively competent , which, according to my definition, very few are, he/she must be competent in all realms of preparation. I'm not keen on elaborating on this deeply here as I've done so already elsewhere. Contact me privately if interested.
    I remember speaking with Mark McLaughlin back in 07-08 and he said something similar to what I posted. After spending 13-16 working with international basketball clubs and watching how some of the upper tier euro soccer clubs (Germany, Spain, France, Italy, Russia) run their day to day operations it was similar to what Mark told me back in 07-08. All players are run through a large battery of tests to determine readiness prior to practices, and once these tests are completed the trainers and medical staff decide who participates and at what intensities.

I remember speaking with Mark McLaughlin back in 07-08 and he said something similar to what I posted. After spending 13-16 working with international basketball clubs and watching how some of the upper tier euro soccer clubs (Germany, France, Italy, Russia) run their day to day operations it was similar to what Mark told me back in 07-08. All players are run through a large battery of tests to determine readiness prior to practices, and once these tests are completed the trainers and medical staff decide who participates and at what intensities.
    The only reason the adjuncts had/have say in those cases is because that's one solution to the mistake of lack of general knowledge on behalf of the coach in the first place. Thus, since the coaches didn't/don't have that knowledge they turned the decision making over to those who did/do. If, on the other hand, the coaches were competent, such as Charlie was for example, they, like he, would understand the determinants of readiness themselves and know the proper solutions to any number of cases.

We are amidst the stone age of sport RB34, in evolutionary terms, we are the cavemen of sport. Science, mathematics, philosophy...began being formally taught over two thousand years ago. The ancient Greek Olympics as well, however, sport, as a profession and pedagogical discipline, is less than 100 years old.

Hence, my influences stemming namely from physics and aesthetics as those realms have evolved for many millennia and thusly contributed to my objectively true, yet often controversial, statements on all things sport.

This is all described in the most comprehensive detail in my recent book which I cannot discuss here.

Take it easy - it's just a joke...
    Dude, just say it. Ange was looking hot! Just like in the GPP vids with the other girl. Looking good!

I remember speaking with Mark McLaughlin back in 07-08 and he said something similar to what I posted. After spending 13-16 working with international basketball clubs and watching how some of the upper tier euro soccer clubs (Germany, France, Italy, Russia) run their day to day operations it was similar to what Mark told me back in 07-08. All players are run through a large battery of tests to determine readiness prior to practices, and once these tests are completed the trainers and medical staff decide who participates and at what intensities.

What about people sandbagging?

There's also a toughness element to most sports. I know you, James, TWhite and others have mentioned this before as well. I've seen quite a few American basketball players who were not prepared for the sport. Now, imo the main way to address this is through the sport, aka scrimmages, etc. But you do have to prep for that as well a little. In most sports, a bunch of running does nothing, unless you do it multidirectional to get the body prepped. Jogging or even extensive tempo is a waste for many unless you are running during your sport.

All of that being said, the coaches/SC coaches I have been around push the "conditioning" aspect too often. Many I have been around train at peak intensity in highly lactic conditions regardless of the sport they are training for. They just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ku2u#1 View Post
    Anybody with a general sense of knowledge where Charlie comes from will know that doing LI work is beneficial and better over the long term. Many coaches out there don't believe that or are unaware. However, in my experience in academics and strength and conditioning, many many coaches and scientists believe that doing aerobic work is going to make you weaker and slower, and train too much type I/ampk... There isn't much discussion on using T:C ratio to prove this right, this is why I presented this.
    Yea I know, it was just funny when I listened cause I was expecting to hear something new to help me. When you said tempo I was like damn it. lol
    But yea I agree, the majority of these dumb ass coaches who believe that no days off moto and run athletes to death need to hear that. One of those dumb ass coaches is the reason I stopped working with this highschool this year. I couldnt stand an watch kids get beat up everyday for 4 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Yea I know, it was just funny when I listened cause I was expecting to hear something new to help me. When you said tempo I was like damn it. lol
    But yea I agree, the majority of these dumb ass coaches who believe that no days off moto and run athletes to death need to hear that. One of those dumb ass coaches is the reason I stopped working with this highschool this year. I couldnt stand an watch kids get beat up everyday for 4 hours.
    Hi everybody,

I just saw this thread right now. I'm glad to see some of you enjoyed the event- it was awesome to have Ange come on again.

I was able to say goodbye to winter for a week right after WSS 3 ended and took an athlete down to Clermont, FL where Cristy Snellgroves and Lance Brauman at Pure Athletics treated us awesomely as usual. It's easily my favourite place for a training camp.

We just got back on Sunday.

Friday we were able to watch one of Lance's block sessions with Tori Bowie, Shaunae Miller, Gerald (GForce) Phiri, and Jacques Harvey among others.

Gerald and Jacques looked really sharp, and on Tori's last block start she blew two young male athletes out of the water.

Lance Brauman is a fun coach to watch on the track.

He's normally a fairly quiet guy, but when he's out there with his group, he turns his personality up to 11 and is an awesome teacher.

He puts a ton into the on-track sessions, and he appears to very carefully guard his energy so that he can put as much as possible into his athletes.

Fridays session:

Weather was cool, approximately 60F which is not warm at all for Florida in March.

"We're just trying to hit positions and get our hips through, I don't want to take anything down the track."

warmup
    3-5 starts individually to 10-20 metres
    3-4 starts in group to 10-20 metres

4x 110 metres easy technical runs to finish up the on-track session

All Lance's athletes look very strong technically.

This was an easy week for his group. They had Wednesday off (which he gives them off once every four weeks "more for mental than physical purposes").

The easiness was compounded by some chilly weather (by Florida standards) which kept them off the track on Thursday as well.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 03-20-2017 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Hi everybody,

You didnt get any secrets you can share? Any video?
    Also, you didnt go around the corner to see gatlin and the dennis camp? They train literally 10 minutes away.

Or you could just strike up a convo with those two and get all the info you needed. I am sure they would be super open and ready and willing to share all sorts of data with an online community. Why not?