Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Yohan Blake

Yohan Blake

This 2016 video is a bit polarizing in that it illustrates objectively suspect methods and compromised mechanics while also showcasing Blake's exceptional elastic, explosive, and force output qualities.

Re: Yohan Blake

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    This 2016 video is a bit polarizing in that it illustrates objectively suspect methods and compromised mechanics while also showcasing Blake's exceptional elastic, explosive, and force output qualities.

YouTube is not reality. Many of the video's people make and then post invariablly promote the cut and paste mentality which veers away from the dedication and commitment and discipline of successful training. Let's call them "Look at me videos".

I especially dislike seeing exercises displayed that might be okay for someone to do under the circumstances of their training ( were they warmed up, how long have they been doing that exercise, over how many years? ) but viewers want to repeat what they see not knowing or appreciating what goes on for that particular athlete to accomplish special training moves.

And by the time you reach the Olympic final you have already won as far as I am concerned. Then it gets down to small issues and luck and time and chance.

He's really lucky he didn't get injured with that nonsense. I was cringing watching that.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    He's really lucky he didn't get injured with that nonsense. I was cringing watching that.
    Yeah especially when he was jumping out of the pool. Very high risk of slipping, I'd say.

Even though Blake and Bolt are in the same camp they appear to do different work. You couldn't imagine Bolt doing some of this work.

Is there a dislike button for all of those exercises!?!??

Now this I believe. Simple, general training and nothing dangerous. First do no harm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zeum...4&spfreload=10

It is unbelievable that the world's one of the most high level athlete is doing some bad exercises. That just shows how prevalent bad training is and how bad training is accepted as right thing to do. If even world's elite of elite are exposed to bad training, imagine how likely someone will be to be taught with wrong way of training if they are at lower level of competition.....

That limits potential advancement of many of those who want to enhance their performances and even short-cutting their athletic career. Unfortunately, proper coaching is not easy to find.

The all time great coaches demonstrate simplicity and specificity in their training models. Whoever advised Blake on some of this stuff clearly does not appreciate that.

IMHO many sports at the elite level suffer from unnecessary input from fitness/S&C/sports science input/personal trainer mentality. They need to justify their existence by adding on variations to the basic training methods. Hence we see exercises that are a waste of time/dangerous. It is not just athletics - we see have seen soccer players performing high volume/intensity exercise just before a tournament, cricket players injured in warm ups using soccer or touch rugby ......
    As Kwave says, this mentality can spread directly to coaches at lower levels who can foul up even without the army of advisers.

Finally, we should all note the comment RB34 just made in his training log. I cant think of a better summary of simple/specific.
    "The older I get the more I move away from the olympic lifts. To technical and draining for me, I'll rather use those resources on the track performing things that are more exciting and transfer towards sprinting."

After Blake gets hurt this season. Next he will incorporate CROSSFIT