Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "hammer and nail" idea of sprinting

"hammer and nail" idea of sprinting

What do you all think about the hammer and nail description of sprinting? Here is a former elite 800m runner talking about this in a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qEBNuYSnjs

Basically the idea is the propulsion forces and "power" in sprinting come from the foot accelerating from the air to the ground, and once your foot touches the ground very little pushing is needed, like when someone hammers a nail, the power to drive the nail in comes from the swing, not when the hammer contacts the nail and they try to push it in further. Any thoughts on this?

Re: "hammer and nail" idea of sprinting

This is an oversimplification and leaves out multiple elements of key significance. Horizontal and vertical ground reaction forces result from the vector angles, velocity, and acceleration, associated with the foot approaching contact and the resultant and associated mechanics of ground contact. Understand that when it concerns elite male 100m sprinters the duration of ground contact occurs in around .08 of a second. Hence the fantastic impulse and impact forces associated with +12m/s maximum velocities.
    Last edited by James Smith; 10-09-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Jquick, I really do not understand the purpose of the new threads you are generating on an almost daily basis. Who on earth picks this sort of random YouTube clip for a thread - a guy who ran 800m 20 years ago.
    What are you trying to achieve - are you in any way involved in any sport at all as a participant or coach ? You are the only poster I have ever seen that will not reference their own training or coaching - not even as a complete beginner asking for some starter tips.

You really need too explain who you are and what you are trying to achieve.

If you are trying to do some sort of research paper just say so......

Quote Originally Posted by oldbloke View Post
    Jquick, I really do not understand the purpose of the new threads you are generating on an almost daily basis. Who on earth picks this sort of random YouTube clip for a thread - a guy who ran 800m 20 years ago.
    What are you trying to achieve - are you in any way involved in any sport at all as a participant or coach ? You are the only poster I have ever seen that will not reference their own training or coaching - not even as a complete beginner asking for some starter tips.

Im just someone who is trying to get faster. I've never competed in track, don't have a coach and my background is basketball in high school. I don't know much about sprint mechanics so I'm just reading old,threads and posting new ones trying to get some answers.

No research paper. Not sure Why you bought up Some random guy running 800'meters

Quote Originally Posted by oldbloke View Post

I agree 100%- Why are you posting all these random questions ???

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    I agree 100%- Why are you posting all these random questions ???
    how are these questions random? Random would be asking how to improve one's comprehension skills on a sprinting forum
    Last edited by jquick; 10-09-2016 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jquick View Post
    Random would be asking how to improve one's comprehension skills on a sprinting forum
    Just the opposite, in fact. As narrow comprehension ability is often the limiting factor related to coaching dysfunction and the reason why sprint training is so poorly understood, not only by non-track coaches but even certain track coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by jquick View Post
    how are these questions random? Random would be asking how to improve one's comprehension skills on a sprinting forum
    Random because, one minute it's weight training then it's about hills,then hammer and nails from a 800m runner. To me that's random. Buy some products from the site, get out and run and report back. Then posters a lot smarter than me will be able to help.

"Percy taught me the difference between running and sprinting - that while you run on the ground, you sprint over it, with the briefest possible foot contact. It's like the spinning of a bicycle wheel; a sharp slap of the hand will impart more speed to the wheel than would a more prolonged stroke. The strongest sprinters spend the least time in pushing along the ground. They focus instead on moving their legs up and down, and are barely conscious of how their force is translated into horizontal impetus." - Speed Trap, p. 29

This is the stepping down sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Random because, one minute it's weight training then it's about hills,then hammer and nails from a 800m runner. To me that's random. Buy some products from the site, get out and run and report back. Then posters a lot smarter than me will be able to help.
    As the man says, start training. Once you start i guarantee you will be asking different questions and questions more relevant to your own goals and abilities.