Page 122 of 167 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1662

Thread: RB34 Training Journal

Re: RB34 Training Journal

I've mentioned before what I have witnessed in terms of jumps and poorly performed explosive throws. I've seen so many people do their entire workout without warming up with jumps and it goes on and on forever. Most of the time explosive jumps are done without excellent execution. WhAt good reason might there be to get rid of such valuable exercises for speed and acceleration and explosiveness out of the blocks?

I have not seen your Oly lifts or your squats or any of your training so we are all taking your word. My skill has not ever been with proper periodization per say but I have an excellent eye and feel for training. I was taught by the very best and it's served me well. Never get yourself too far away from any one aspect that you might be able to benefit from. I am not sure why you were making these changes but give it some thought and if you need help review the core material from Charlie's lectures and talks and see if you are making the right choices.

As I got fitter and stronger and over time I was often able to do solid speed sessions 3 x per week but sometimes not. A plan is great and a plan is needed and planning helps with goals. If you are able to do speed on a given day great and if not and by now you should be able to " feel" if you are responding to the work, then always be prepared to shift the day.

I've been thinking lots about social media and speed training. I was watching some speed athlete showing how he pulls a sled. I call all of this training SHOW and TELL. If one wants to show please do tell us all what is going on behind the scenes. And tell us what to watch for and look for. Like ground contact. If a person is pulling a sled and spending lots of time on the ground something is WRONG. Doing the training is one aspect of the training. The quality of the training is critical and this is the basis of this site from humble beginnings.

RB you win on sticking to it. No one gets anyplace giving up and it sounds like you walk the walk and live your life as an athlete now as you always did.

Consistency is the single most important aspect of training and having a plan based on a method which has been based on consists results tried over time.

Coach Charlie Francis told the truth liking it or not but qualified his methods by doing so.

I am really curious about Mr. C Lewis's book and how or if he addresses the topic of drugs. I guess the party line in speed training and sport full on believes that post Charles Dubin Inquiry in Canada 1989 the world saw the light and ( thank goodness for all those saved) zero more issue using PED's for any coaches or athlete's in any sport from then on?

I am off topic and not sanctioning a big discussion on PED's yet I am wondering of the injustice that I suspect has continued for the past 32 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    I'm not sure you need to re-invent the wheel RB.

Why no heavy squats? Why get too far away from heavy squats? They are easier ( for most) to perform well and unless you have a really good reason ( I get injured doing them, I suck at them, my one leg is longer than there other and get better results from a few Oly lifts ) keep them in and be mindful of how to keep the lifts from taking over your training program.

There are so many ways we did tempo. Pool, abs, running on grass, swimming, bike, general body circuits with low weight or reasonable weighted ( does any athlete understand the idea of reasonable weight? LOL) med ball. First we always did tempo on grass and with flats and I loved the results. If I could not do tempo in this way we did the next best thing.
    Not reinventing the wheel. Making minor tweaks which I think Charlie would agree with. I think most athletes can stay with submaximal lower body weights. The stimulus provided to the body through maximal speed sprinting and high intensity jumping is significant and supersedes the need for high intensity lower body weights. Weights in the 55-80% range for lower body exercises will be more than sufficient, when coupled with speed/power drills while not detracting from the energy I need for the more important sprinting and jumping. I will say last year was probably the first time I felt the weights didn't take away from the track - all the work was 1-3reps and 80-100%. I also feel this type of work at my age could lead to joints-ligaments-tendons issues when done on top of all the sprinting-jumping-running etc. Performing 400-500lbs squats after sprinting/jumping at my age may not be the "best" way to do things long term.

As I got fitter and stronger and over time I was often able to do solid speed sessions 3 x per week but sometimes not. A plan is great and a plan is needed and planning helps with goals. If you are able to do speed on a given day great and if not and by now you should be able to " feel" if you are responding to the work, then always be prepared to shift the day.

I've been thinking lots about social media and speed training. I was watching some speed athlete showing how he pulls a sled. I call all of this training SHOW and TELL. If one wants to show please do tell us all what is going on behind the scenes. And tell us what to watch for and look for. Like ground contact. If a person is pulling a sled and spending lots of time on the ground something is WRONG. Doing the training is one aspect of the training. The quality of the training is critical and this is the basis of this site from humble beginnings.
    I saw my best results last year with 3 speed days. Less volume per session but more frequency. Avg volume speed session was about 210-220 meters.

Week 4: DELOAD

Monday:

Bench press 2x3 225

Db chest support row 2x8 55

Tuesday:

Trap bar dead 2x3 385

Hypers 2x8 30

Easy Squats 135 185 225x3x2-3

Wednesday:

Bench press 2x3 225

Cg pb 2x8

Thursday:

Trap bar dead 2x3 405 (too lazy - easier to load 405)

Rdl 2x5 225

Easy Squats br 135 185 225 275 315 365 X 1-3 reps

I have a decision to make over the next several days about adding the squat back into the program. The left knee is still swollen and slightly tender, but the ROM and pain has gone down since performing easy squatting etc. I will probably add the squats back and allow a 2-week grace period to see how my body react to them. If the pain reaches 8-10 drop immediately if the pain stays between 1-5 continue and evaluate every 2 weeks. I been dealing with this injury since Mid-September and with the season being canceled this is the time to heal and not push until the body is healthy. I need to be healthy and ready to go in May!!!!

If you are able to do other lifts without pain I'd opt for those lifts if they are helpful.

You have identified the idea of less volume working for you as masters athletes have greater ongoing challenges with recovery.

I was not aware you had issues of pain regarding squatting.

If you are able to do other lifts without pain I'd opt for those lifts if they are helpful.

You have identified the idea of less volume working for you as masters athletes have greater ongoing challenges with recovery.

I was not aware you had issues of pain regarding squatting.
    Been dealing with jumpers knee aka patellar tendonitis since Mid Sept. It didn't get worst until I found out my season would be canceled and I did 3 weeks of training with a friend which included a shit load of weighted jump squats. I was able to get two indoor meets in - one shitty result and one result that I was proud of (wasn't bad for a old man)...

2/14/2021 1:00 PM College Basketball 794 Wisconsin* +100 vs Michigan $5000.00

Page 122 of 167 FirstFirst ... 22 72 112 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 132 ... LastLast