Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

3. What are heart rate ranges immediately post rep and where should they be before starting the next rep?
    - Personally, a quick heart rate check using 15 seconds has served me well in checking where I need to be in other sports.[/QUOTE]

The heart rate ranges would less than 70 or less ( maybe 75 or less) than your max of sprinting or highest intensity work I suppose. I did not do this nor would I need or do this now. I can tell pretty quickly is someone is struggling and I know quickly what I am feeling like and whether or not the cost of work is too high.

If you time your 100's in tempo you will easily see if you are consistent with the times. Never start too fast. You can add speed but you can't take speed away until the next session.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    I'm calling it "learning the new me". After taking off 5+yrs from formal sprint training, I knew how much/what types of training I needed before but now I'm learning what and how my body handles training now. At my current age (body type) I'm starting to think ext tempo isn't needed as much once you have a base of general fitness in place. There's a fine line between tempo runs for recovery and general fitness. Let's be honest - in my case I don't need tempo runs for recovery - the best recovery for me is rest or a 20-30min walk with my son and stretching. I do like tempo runs for early general fitness and body comp. I think the master sprinter would better be served to focus on tempo runs in gpp even if this mean only doing 1 speed day. After this phase I think the specific work should be the focus and maybe a 4 week block of int tempo working on more high end fitness. Once I get into spp I'm thinking about dropping all tempo to once a week and rest after each speed session - m-w-f = speed, sat= tempo, t-th-sun = rest. Like i mention earlier I'm currently learning the new me - so these thoughts may change in 6 months.

With the history of cardiac issues with my family and blacks people in general, I think it would be smart to always keep some form of tempo running in my life.
    It's impressive that you are able to guage your ability to recover well and build up your general fitness with less tempos, especially as you get farther away from general prep phase into your specific prep. I will be looking forward to how your plan works out.

Quote Originally Posted by kwave View Post
    It's impressive that you are able to guage your ability to recover well and build up your general fitness with less tempos, especially as you get farther away from general prep phase into your specific prep. I will be looking forward to how your plan works out.
    Read the article again - it may help you understand everything much easier.

I have argued that tempo running may help by increasing blood flow to the areas that have been strained for lymphatic benefit, but the optimal dose is difficult to estimate after a speed session. Training may have the best sport science support now in 2014, but itís still not an exact science. An athlete, after speed sessions, technically has microtrauma to the tissues, rendering the body limited the next day. Additional running at slower velocities, while easier, is still pounding on the body when you are doing kilometers of work in a compromised state. Again, itís not that the workout is that hard; itís just that the body after maximal and supra-maximal effort is not in a position to do much besides passive rest. Sometimes, a day off or a pool workout should be employed after heavy work, and general fitness is not going to help with any race finishing unless a body composition problem exists or one is extremely deconditioned. Tempo running may develop enough capacity to handle heavy training phases and very deep loading weeks, so general fitness should not be eliminated.

Thanks for the article, it makes sense.

Since speed training will be more demanding in later phases, cutting down tempo would account for that increase in stress, whereas more tempos early on would be more tolerable when speed work is less intensive

No one has to be a fucking rocket science major to replicate success.

You do have to have trust in a system that has had success and faith and wisdom and acquire knowledge and not cut and paste every word into your training. I am seeing this constantly with everyone I watch and listen to. It's maddening.

When I read bullshit that tempo runs from a Ben type talent (as one example)and he or she should be running 18 seconds I want to scream.

I ran tempo 100's faster than that and sometimes slower if there was a problem but I still did the work and put in the time and volume of runs.

At Ben or Angie's best to use two examples their tempo was much faster than 18 seconds. On the other hand when I first met Charlie in 1988 they were both doing tempo and it was slower, much slower than that as it was in the middle of competition season during 1988.

Fast forward to some of Charlie's most successful athletes using what they did as training on others or their kids ( or what they thought they did ) and eliminating the tempo all together and working much harder more often how do you think that went? It didn't and it made Charlie furious as he was constantly consulted but never listened to. But what did he know right?

Do what you want. Train how you want and realize that anyone can say anything especially on other sites when they are getting paid peanuts to write bullshit because the only premise is what? To sell stuff, not ideas that are necessarily tried and true. And you all read it and believe as you have very little knowledge and or confidence in differentiating what is true and what is not true. It's not a slam. It's true.

Masters athletes are not elite sprinters. It's a different game on how to train when you are over prime time and yes it will not be easy or necessarily advisable to replicate what you did when you were younger or what you wish to do but can't due to recovery times and other age related issues.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all of the time? sHit, is that changing?
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 06-28-2018 at 12:03 PM.

Non elite athletes : Run 2-3 times per week at a pace that is close to a reasonable target sprinting race pace. This is the bit that needs to be carefully constructed and monitored.
    The rest of possible training possibilities do not matter much. It`s an 80/20 rule, maybe even more. If you have the time/energy then do more, expect diminishing returns relative to effort you put in. And dont bother too much about the accurate measures of time/distance of tempo. Or the latest strength fad on Meathead-Nation.

Masters athletes : You will get slower. You will suffer from more injuries. If you have been sprint training from the age of 20 you will start to suffer the trials and tribulations of a clapped out old runner. Forget new PRs.
    If you want, do tempo/weights - but do it for your health and appearance. Performing 5-6 days per week of varied types of training will fry your body and slow down sprint speed. But there is more to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Non elite athletes : Run 2-3 times per week at a pace that is close to a reasonable target sprinting race pace. This is the bit that needs to be carefully constructed and monitored.
    The rest of possible training possibilities do not matter much. It`s an 80/20 rule, maybe even more. If you have the time/energy then do more, expect diminishing returns relative to effort you put in. And dont bother too much about the accurate measures of time/distance of tempo. Or the latest strength fad on Meathead-Nation.

Masters athletes : You will get slower. You will suffer from more injuries. If you have been sprint training from the age of 20 you will start to suffer the trials and tribulations of a clapped out old runner. Forget new PRs.
    If you want, do tempo/weights - but do it for your health and appearance. Performing 5-6 days per week of varied types of training will fry your body and slow down sprint speed. But there is more to life.
    I think there's 2-3 different masters training groups. I think a 35-38yr old master sprinter should train different from a 50yr old master sprinter. A 35-38yr sprinter don't have to make too many changes esp if he's been training nonstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    No one has to be a fucking rocket science major to replicate success.

You do have to have trust in a system that has had success and faith and wisdom and acquire knowledge and not cut and paste every word into your training. I am seeing this constantly with everyone I watch and listen to. It's maddening.

When I read bullshit that tempo runs from a Ben type talent (as one example)and he or she should be running 18 seconds I want to scream.

I ran tempo 100's faster than that and sometimes slower if there was a problem but I still did the work and put in the time and volume of runs.

At Ben or Angie's best to use two examples their tempo was much faster than 18 seconds. On the other hand when I first met Charlie in 1988 they were both doing tempo and it was slower, much slower than that as it was in the middle of competition season during 1988.

Fast forward to some of Charlie's most successful athletes using what they did as training on others or their kids ( or what they thought they did ) and eliminating the tempo all together and working much harder more often how do you think that went? It didn't and it made Charlie furious as he was constantly consulted but never listened to. But what did he know right?

Do what you want. Train how you want and realize that anyone can say anything especially on other sites when they are getting paid peanuts to write bullshit because the only premise is what? To sell stuff, not ideas that are necessarily tried and true. And you all read it and believe as you have very little knowledge and or confidence in differentiating what is true and what is not true. It's not a slam. It's true.

Masters athletes are not elite sprinters. It's a different game on how to train when you are over prime time and yes it will not be easy or necessarily advisable to replicate what you did when you were younger or what you wish to do but can't due to recovery times and other age related issues.

You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all the people all of the time? sHit, is that changing?
    Not sure who you are talking about most times. If you are talking about Carl I think he has many solid points with his articles regardless what he's trying to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Not sure who you are talking about most times. If you are talking about Carl I think he has many solid points with his articles regardless what he's trying to sell.
    Case of wanderitis.

Can write 5,000 words and say nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post

My favorite part of tempo was when it was over. ( wink) Most people start tempo too quickly and stop before the work gets done. Generally speaking we never did less than 6 x 100 if you were struggling but most sprinters of 200m or less ( including hurdlers) need 2 sets of 10 x 100 with regulated breaks and regulated speeds ( finish as you start and if that is a struggle there is a fitness issue or maybe athletes is not well/ has cold/ flu)

The best you will likely ever feel doing tempo is in season when you are very fit and strong and fast and tempo is fun. Tempo in the spring and fall is hard work as you are doing lots of work on all areas.

Common to feel tired in a good way after tempo but that feeling goes away soon as you are on your way to having prepared your body to accept more work.
    Thanks Ange!

I feel tired after many training workouts, depending on the sport.

If I did:

1 - 300+m sprints and jumps and weights and throws
    2 - 1500-2000 tempo with cals
    3 - 300+ HI
    4 - 1500-2000 LI
    5 - 300+ HI
    6 - 1500-2000 LI

I would need therapy and support, probably a simple job.

I could do it at 40 BUT my evenings would require prehab/rehab/therapy. Work would just be something to do to live. I have some friends who train triathlon similarly but they are not super career oriented. 9-5 banker types who were former athletes.