Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 41

Thread: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

  1. #11
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,156

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post
    I just finished an extensive tempo workout about 30 minutes ago. Here is what I did on grass:

    3x6x100m; 30 sec rest between reps; 2 min rest between the three sets

    My PB is 10.81, while I'm coming off of a SB of 11.21 (I only ran a couple meets). I ran each 100m between 17-18.

    You could argue that I was a little on the fast side when hitting 17s, but given that I'm in GPP right now, my other demands aren't as great. Therefore, I believe it's ok to be closer to the 75% pace with tempo work at this stage. Conversely, when you are in your competition period or truly pushing maxV limits, slower tempo is probably the best approach.

    The workout was tough, but I was able to complete all reps in about the same amount of time. That's how I've judged the appropriateness of the pace and workout setup. My basic parameters are usually something like:

    1200-2400m of total work
    1:2 work-to-rest ratio within a set
    2:1 set-to-break ratio
    intervals of 100-300m
    Good stuff... You 200-400m guys have that natural endurance.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    California, United States.
    Posts
    366

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by RB34 View Post
    Just remember slower is better. If it's too easy try doing 25 situps - stride 100 - 10 pushups - stride 100....
    You're right, thanks for reminding me of that

  3. #13
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Here are 5 things

    Most people run tempo too quickly all of the time.

    Most people think that faster is better and really do not differentiate speed from tempo.

    Most people don't accept that less is more

    Most people can't take simple fricking ideas and REPEAT them. They must be sugar coated, dipped in chocolate with some extra treat at the end.

    sponsored material is just that. Pandering to what? Quality? Not likely.

    You are welcome. I have kept this information around but you have to pay attention and not listen to all the grandstanders who have accomplished what?

    Keep asking yourself. what did he or she produce, create or maintain when it comes in that order regarding athletic development.

    I don't see John Smith or Bobby K writing books telling us all about how they do it or how they did things.

  4. #14

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Here are 5 things

    Most people run tempo too quickly all of the time.

    Most people think that faster is better and really do not differentiate speed from tempo.

    Most people don't accept that less is more

    Most people can't take simple fricking ideas and REPEAT them. They must be sugar coated, dipped in chocolate with some extra treat at the end.

    sponsored material is just that. Pandering to what? Quality? Not likely.


    I don't see John Smith or Bobby K writing books telling us all about how they do it or how they did things.
    Not much more for these guys to discover or say on sprint training models that has not already been said.
    Nex steps should be scientific fact around biological testing.
    Optimum sprint distance for athletes bio type.
    Optimum type of training model to be applied.
    Analysis of best types of non sprinting training (wts etc). At the moment rather empirical.
    Recovery - beyond HRv to easy CNS and DOMS monitoring.
    Relevant personality testing.

  5. #15
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    I think it's difficult doing some of this training alone. I'd argue it's not the same or it's impossible to replicate unless you have done it over and over again on your own.

    there is feeling you get from doing tempo properly. I can see when someone is performing tempo properly but it's also not so easy to tell people how to do it correctly without a certain amount of experience doing it.

    Don't forget the part you need to finish as you began. ( easier said than done) and it's nice to have someone on the clock as a guidance only but the eyes from the coach will do the deciding.

    Never, ever want to repeat anything poorly. Even tempo. THat's why bikes and pools come in handy.

    Yeah, Oldbloke you are talking once again about how science trails actual experience.

  6. #16

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    I think it's difficult doing some of this training alone. I'd argue it's not the same or it's impossible to replicate unless you have done it over and over again on your own.

    there is feeling you get from doing tempo properly. I can see when someone is performing tempo properly but it's also not so easy to tell people how to do it correctly without a certain amount of experience doing it.

    Don't forget the part you need to finish as you began. ( easier said than done) and it's nice to have someone on the clock as a guidance only but the eyes from the coach will do the deciding.

    Never, ever want to repeat anything poorly. Even tempo. THat's why bikes and pools come in handy.

    Yeah, Oldbloke you are talking once again about how science trails actual experience.

    I think a simple description would be great.

    1. How should you feel during?

    2. How should you feel afterward?

    3. What are heart rate ranges immediately post rep and where should they be before starting the next rep?
    - Personally, a quick heart rate check using 15 seconds has served me well in checking where I need to be in other sports.

  7. #17
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,156

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by kwave View Post
    You're right, thanks for reminding me of that
    I'm calling it "learning the new me". After taking off 5+yrs from formal sprint training, I knew how much/what types of training I needed before but now I'm learning what and how my body handles training now. At my current age (body type) I'm starting to think ext tempo isn't needed as much once you have a base of general fitness in place. There's a fine line between tempo runs for recovery and general fitness. Let's be honest - in my case I don't need tempo runs for recovery - the best recovery for me is rest or a 20-30min walk with my son and stretching. I do like tempo runs for early general fitness and body comp. I think the master sprinter would better be served to focus on tempo runs in gpp even if this mean only doing 1 speed day. After this phase I think the specific work should be the focus and maybe a 4 week block of int tempo working on more high end fitness. Once I get into spp I'm thinking about dropping all tempo to once a week and rest after each speed session - m-w-f = speed, sat= tempo, t-th-sun = rest. Like i mention earlier I'm currently learning the new me - so these thoughts may change in 6 months.

    With the history of cardiac issues with my family and blacks people in general, I think it would be smart to always keep some form of tempo running in my life.

  8. #18
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    I think a simple description would be great.

    1. How should you feel during?

    2. How should you feel afterward?

    3. What are heart rate ranges immediately post rep and where should they be before starting the next rep?
    - Personally, a quick heart rate check using 15 seconds has served me well in checking where I need to be in other sports.

    I think a simple description would be great.

    1. How should you feel during? you need to be able to finish the sets of tempo the same way you began it. If you run too quickly you will not be able to maintain the runs evenly. learn to time the runs yourself or have someone watch and time you that knows how to time and raise your hand so whom ever is doing the timing knows when to start and stop the watch. Each part of the tempo needs to be monitored and controlled the same way you do so in other areas of your training. I used to time everything so I had check points of how i felt at varied times of the workout. 10 minutes into the warm up I feel better than when I started. If I am not feeling substantially better by 20 minutes as I am about to begin Power Speed there might be something off or wrong and maybe I need to re evaluate what I do that day.

  9. #19
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by lr1400 View Post
    I think a simple description would be great.

    1. How should you feel during?

    2. How should you feel afterward?

    3. What are heart rate ranges immediately post rep and where should they be before starting the next rep?
    - Personally, a quick heart rate check using 15 seconds has served me well in checking where I need to be in other sports.


    My favorite part of tempo was when it was over. ( wink) Most people start tempo too quickly and stop before the work gets done. Generally speaking we never did less than 6 x 100 if you were struggling but most sprinters of 200m or less ( including hurdlers) need 2 sets of 10 x 100 with regulated breaks and regulated speeds ( finish as you start and if that is a struggle there is a fitness issue or maybe athletes is not well/ has cold/ flu)

    The best you will likely ever feel doing tempo is in season when you are very fit and strong and fast and tempo is fun. Tempo in the spring and fall is hard work as you are doing lots of work on all areas.

    Common to feel tired in a good way after tempo but that feeling goes away soon as you are on your way to having prepared your body to accept more work.

  10. #20
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,586

    Re: 5 Mistakes Sprinters Make in Tempo Runs

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Not much more for these guys to discover or say on sprint training models that has not already been said.
    Nex steps should be scientific fact around biological testing.
    Optimum sprint distance for athletes bio type.
    Optimum type of training model to be applied.
    Analysis of best types of non sprinting training (wts etc). At the moment rather empirical.
    Recovery - beyond HRv to easy CNS and DOMS monitoring.
    Relevant personality testing.

    Really? Not exactly sure I agree with that but I'll tow the party line for a few more decades I suppose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •