Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

  1. #1
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,026

    'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic-...16bb65a8ea3778

    I just got back from the Prefontaine meeting and Ive never seen such a down beat, down cast group of characters in all my years, said Pfaff, a senior coach at the World Athletics Center in Arizona. Its definitely having an effect.

    Ive been fighting this fight for a long time so Im not surprised but I am deeply saddened to see the discouragement on the faces parents and athletes I coach, said Pfaff. There is a lot of demotivated people in our sport right now.

    This reminds me of the part in Speed Trap when Charlie talked about how a lot of the Canadians were down in the dumps and it affected their performances after the news had come out about Ben.

  3. #3
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,026

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/olympic-...16bb65a8ea3778

    “I just got back from the Prefontaine meeting and I’ve never seen such a down beat, down cast group of characters in all my years,” said Pfaff, a senior coach at the World Athletics Center in Arizona. “It’s definitely having an effect.”

    “I’ve been fighting this fight for a long time so I’m not surprised but I am deeply saddened to see the discouragement on the faces parents and athletes I coach,” said Pfaff. “There is a lot of demotivated people in our sport right now.”

    This reminds me of the part in Speed Trap when Charlie talked about how a lot of the Canadians were down in the dumps and it affected their performances after the news had come out about Ben.

    Sad part is they pick and choose who's careers to ruin. They ban a substance that was once legal, then go back an retest for the substance that was taken when it was legal then hit people with the ban hammer.

    WADA is a joke.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    I spent two weeks with Dan during UK Athletics pre-Olympic training in 2012 when I was supporting Lloyd Cowan in Southern California. Dan is a great guy and I have much respect for him. I disagree with his grim outlook on the sport, however. Clearly it is easy for me to do so as I am not immersed in it on a daily basis as he is.

    T&F has always been an outlier sport in the court of US public opinion. Same as boblsled, luge, skeleton, biathlon, curling, judo, wrestling, the T&F throws, triple jump, steeple chase, Nordic Skiing, Canoe/Kayak...

    Same goes for so many other Olympic disciplines who the general US public is only aware of by way of a highlight here or there based upon what the media decides will make it to prime time coverage hours. On that note, I can't speak highly enough of the BBC regarding their coverage of the 2012 Olympics. I was living in England at the time and I was utterly blown away by the coverage.

    I wouldn't be surprised if the average American believes that the Winter Olympics is a contest in Figure Skating and and 1 or 2 Alpine Skiing events and the Summer Olympics is a contest in the 100meters and Beach volleyball.

    As for the drug issue in T&F, if only the general public were aware of how widespread the use of something that is banned on some list is in any professional sport. Thus, for any sport's athletes to be pigeonholed as villainous is nothing more than a reminder of the agenda of the puppet masters who decide what the media delivers to its ignorant viewership.

    In my view, T&F isn't going anywhere. The question is if/when it will gain the respect it deserves amongst the general viewership- the same as so many other Olympic disciplines.

  5. #5
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,739

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Track and field is yet to unionize or professionalize themselves.

    Why has this not happened? Good question.

    Likely it's because the top candidates who have the voice of their fellow athletes get hired by the very group of people who formerly exploited them. People like Edwin Moses and Sergey Bubka or Merlene Ottey were such possible candidates to head up a movement to get the athletes united as a professionalized sport. Instead at least 2 of these people now work for IOC or IAAF or their respective countries Olympic organizations.

    Track is an awesome sport and many other sports require the athleticism that gets honed from having participated in the sport.

  6. #6
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,026

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Another point of interest, that is rarely discussed, is the colossal size of the banned substance list. As I described in a previous post, the biased agendas of the media puppet masters determines what is and what is not presented to the ignorant viewing audience. In this case, any associations or stereotypes that the blind masses draw between 'doping' and whatever pops into their minds is most certainly linked to their naive belief that 'doping' is a synonym for anabolic/androgenic steroids.

    When in reality, there are probably more than a few dozen over the counter products sold in any pharmacy that will render an athlete a positive test.

    Thus, while all athletes are ultimately accountable for what they ingest, it is ludicrous that the general public might scoff at all the 'dirty' athletes in various Olympic sports for taking drugs that all of these self-proclaimed prosecutors take when their nose is running. Thus, according to the link below, the bulk of industrialized humanity takes more performance enhancing drugs during inclement weather than most Olympians.

    http://www.usada.org/substances/proh...athlete-guide/

  8. #8
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,026

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Another point of interest, that is rarely discussed, is the colossal size of the banned substance list. As I described in a previous post, the biased agendas of the media puppet masters determines what is and what is not presented to the ignorant viewing audience. In this case, any associations or stereotypes that the blind masses draw between 'doping' and whatever pops into their minds is most certainly linked to their naive belief that 'doping' is a synonym for anabolic/androgenic steroids.

    When in reality, there are probably more than a few dozen over the counter products sold in any pharmacy that will render an athlete a positive test.

    Thus, while all athletes are ultimately accountable for what they ingest, it is ludicrous that the general public might scoff at all the 'dirty' athletes in various Olympic sports for taking drugs that all of these self-proclaimed prosecutors take when their nose is running. Thus, according to the link below, the bulk of industrialized humanity takes more performance enhancing drugs during inclement weather than most Olympians.

    http://www.usada.org/substances/proh...athlete-guide/
    starbucks is the biggest PED peddler in the USA.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    starbucks is the biggest PED peddler in the USA.
    Indeed. It's ridiculous, in past years when I worked with US national team candidates and phyios and United Kingdom national team athletes and physios I was made aware of the ludicrous volume of over the counter products that the athletes had to avoid. In this experience, the athletes were nearly paranoid whenever they went grocery shopping. It's completely absurd.

  10. #10

    Re: 'A' Sample Of Medal-Winning Jamaican Athlete Tested Positive For Banned Substance

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Sad part is they pick and choose who's careers to ruin. They ban a substance that was once legal, then go back an retest for the substance that was taken when it was legal then hit people with the ban hammer.

    WADA is a joke.
    This is not even close to being accurate. Methylhexanamine has been on the banned list since 2004. It was slightly reclassified in 2011 but still banned. He took a banned supplement, PERIOD, in 2008. He was caught with more modern testing methods able to test what he got away with in 2008.

    WADA is a joke, but not in the way you're implying:

    "WADA heard of Russian doping in 2010, didn’t investigate until media reports"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b54_story.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •