Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Old video 1995

Re: Old video 1995

Very interesting to hear Ben state that his only regret is not running through the line in Seoul.

THanks for the video Ben wouldve ran 9.5xxx mif he ran through the line. amazing. Watch the transition from drive to flight. amazing.
    I think im gonna start to tuck my shirt into my tights

Bruce Jenner "Tucked it" didn't he?

9.77 to 9.75 is safe.

Would have been great learning for everyone to see how he would have faired in a 200M in comp settings after the OLY..Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Bruce Jenner "Tucked it" didn't he?

9.77 to 9.75 is safe.

Would have been great learning for everyone to see how he would have faired in a 200M in comp settings after the OLY..Oh well.
    If I remember correctly, Charlie indicated that Ben would have gone 9.72-9.75 had he ran through the line. More importantly, Charlie indicated that Ben had shown no signs of imminent plateau in his preparation. Just the opposite, in fact, he was on track to achieve more unseen results subsequent to Seoul.

Thus, I view it to be entirely uncontroversial to predict that Ben would have achieved multiple sub 9.70 performances in this hypothetical past. This, weighed against the difference in track surface from that era to now would have made his case a strong one for being the fastest of all time.

I totally agree with all of your words.

In 84 Charlie said in an interview that Ben will be passing up Carl Lewis. That comment certainly caught my attention and I began my wanting to know more about CF and his ppl. I was 14 at the time.
    In other years he predicted great times but Ben never got the right conditions for it.
    In 87 right before the WCs he predicted 9.85 - 9.80. Money!

CF knew Ben was running faster than ever in 88 before the Oly...so YES!

If he doesn't improve anything beyond 80 in that final in 88...9.75 is in the bag imo but I go with what CF wrote though and that it is reasonable to think he improves in the last 20m as well.

It's very difficult trying to post from my smartphone sheesh

Oh, I just read the Fastest of all time comment.
    Bolt beats everybody. No question about that.
    If you are talking about Hypothetical (of course you are lol) it gets even worse for Ben vs. Bolt IMHO.
    Put Bolt's WR race from Berlin on Beijing's Track....Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Oh, I just read the Fastest of all time comment.
    Bolt beats everybody. No question about that.
    If you are talking about Hypothetical (of course you are lol) it gets even worse for Ben vs. Bolt IMHO.
    Put Bolt's WR race from Berlin on Beijing's Track....Phew!
    Indeed, and conversely, put Ben's 9.79 on either of those tracks, or even better Rieti's magical track, and have him run through the finish and...

All in good fun. This is a topic for PJV no doubt.

Let's give him the 9.72 and .05 improvement over the next 3 years and put him on Hotlanta's Magic Carpet.

Faster tracks faster 0-30m also = faster exit velocity at 30-40, etc.
    Louder Sound of the gun..faster R/T, + more pressure on the blocks at the start? Ben was already bordering on the ridiculous here already. Crazy to think about it.
    Better Blocks
    New Tech Shoes
    Etc.
    which is what? equivalent to .09 let's say for now.

I've got Bolt over Ben 9.55 to 9.58

Now in addition, him and the late great CF have access to the Freelap Timing System for immediate feedback to fine tune his reps as needed.

Also, Imagine if Tom Tellez had access to freelap back in the day for his athletes...
    Carl Lewis finishes that 200m at the 83 Trials in the Final and gets to 19.6x instead of easing up and raising his arms way before the Finish Line.
    Joe Deloach was already pretty relaxed but damn if he couldn't get even faster at the 200m that year. 19.6x
    Mike Marsh doesn't ease up so damn much in the SF at the 92 OLY. 19.6x

They would have known through training that when it feels so dang easy to them and not feeling like work in addition to feeling like they are floating...to well.... just keep it going to the line.
    Freaking incredible.

1992 Olympics 200m, Semifinal 1, Barcelona, Spain
    Mike Marsh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDDRQbPxac