Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 races

Re: 2016 races

As I stated, as much as it's fantastic to have seen Asafa absolutely cruise two consecutive 6.44's it was also predictable, despite the 60 being more forgiving than the 100, that his tone would have been too high going into the final.

What I'm most mystified about is the strategical failure and how reminiscent this is of Gatlin's debacle in the World Championships last year. Both Asafa tonight and Gatlin last year shared very similar histories going into the Worlds in that both had set PB's and world leading times in their respective events going in which sets the perfect stage for strategy through the rounds just as I explained in the article on tone that I wrote for Christopher Glaeser after the Worlds last year.

The confidence a sprinter who enters a WC's due to having set personal best levels and world leading times prior to entering is the absolute bedrock for strategical domination- just going fast enough to qualify and nothing more. Yet what Gatlin did last year and Asafa did tonight was diametrically opposed to what they should have done and exactly what someone needs to do who has run at PB level just to qualify for the next round.

Asafa could have done like Trayvon and truly cruised through his heat and semi's and conceivably given Maurice's record a challenge in the final. But woulda, shoulda, coulda...

I surely cannot speak towards the specific nature of the dysfunction, however it's either coach, athlete, or both who require serious education in these matters.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    As I stated, as much as it's fantastic to have seen Asafa absolutely cruise two consecutive 6.44's it was also predictable, despite the 60 being more forgiving than the 100, that his tone would have been too high going into the final.

What I'm most mystified about is the strategical failure and how reminiscent this is of Gatlin's debacle in the World Championships last year. Both Asafa tonight and Gatlin last year shared very similar histories going into the Worlds in that both had set PB's and world leading times in their respective events going in which sets the perfect stage for strategy through the rounds just as I explained in the article on tone that I wrote for Christopher Glaeser after the Worlds last year.

The confidence a sprinter who enters a WC's due to having set personal best levels and world leading times prior to entering is the absolute bedrock for strategical domination- just going fast enough to qualify and nothing more. Yet what Gatlin did last year and Asafa did tonight was diametrically opposed to what they should have done and exactly what someone needs to do who has run at PB level just to qualify for the next round.

Asafa could have done like Trayvon and truly cruised through his heat and semi's and conceivably given Maurice's record a challenge in the final. But woulda, shoulda, coulda...

I surely cannot speak towards the specific nature of the dysfunction, however it's either coach, athlete, or both who require serious education in these matters.
    Or he just choked....again.
    Asafa is one of my favourites, but geez he can't put it together when it counts... for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Or he just choked....again.
    Asafa is one of my favourites, but geez he can't put it together when it counts... for whatever reason.
    I have no inside knowledge of Asafa's situation, however, given how laid back of a personality he is it seems less plausible that he experiences any sort of psychological breakdown for the finals. When weighed against him blazing the heats and the semis I believe that's all the evidence necessary to yield reasonable doubt regarding the breakdown in strategical approach. If I'm correct, the question is whether the screw up is on his coach, him, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    I have no inside knowledge of Asafa's situation, however, given how laid back of a personality he is it seems less plausible that he experiences any sort of psychological breakdown for the finals. When weighed against him blazing the heats and the semis I believe that's all the evidence necessary to yield reasonable doubt regarding the breakdown in strategical approach. If I'm correct, the question is whether the screw up is on his coach, him, or both.
    Very naive to think just because he is laid back that he wouldn't suffer nerves or psychological problem. I'm sure he has tried a different stragedy in the past & still choked.

asafa has proven that he saves his worst for the final in all championships.
    Still one of my favorite sprinters

Same thing happened to Kim Collins: 6.49 in the semis, 6.56 in the final. Asafa's semis already didn't look as good as his heats. He runs best when he is very relaxed and under no pressure. He ran a 9.74 WR in Rieti while easing up in a heat.

He needs to learn to relax and almost not care. When he doesnt care cause he knows he will make it out the heat or win a race, he runs fast

Bolt and Powell are opposites when it comes to pressure, Powell tightens up and loses confidence while Bolt steps up and digs deep. Bolt needs the pressure and Powell can't handle it. We've seen Powell under-perform in many different major competitions and with different coaches/training situations all throughout his career, at some point Powell himself is the only common denominator. I think the telltale sign is the relay, Powell may run horrible in the finals of the 100 but come back and blaze the 4x1 heats and finals. I don't recall him ever under-performing in a 4x1 final, having a team around him takes a bit of the pressure off.

Quote Originally Posted by MD11 View Post
    Very naive to think just because he is laid back that he wouldn't suffer nerves or psychological problem. I'm sure he has tried a different stragedy in the past & still choked.
    Then provide the competition data that shows him running a heat and a semi at 5 hundredths of a second off the world record.