Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: mindset in the blocks

mindset in the blocks

I was coaching my best athlete today through some 20m block starts. He asked me a great question which Ive never learned the sure answer to. I told him I would get on the forum tonight and work through it!

The question is, what is the mindset and body doing during the set position? Should I relax and react, focus on loading up like a spring, flex the pelvis up? Should I be tight anywhere? Do I get a big inhale and wait for the gun or keep breathing constant?

I realize I've never completely answered these questions and established a consistent routine in myself or my sprinters. And from what I've read in the cfts and race dynamics I didn't come up with a solid answer. What are some recommended tactics from the coaches and athletes who have been around the block?

Re: mindset in the blocks

Mindset? I teach my athletes to be focused on the gun, that's it. Reacting on the "b" in "bang", not waiting for the bang to finish. The cue after that would be a wrist flick/arm movement but that is something for practice and through repetition isn't a focused thought in the blocks.

My structure is different for each athlete, but goes along the line of

1. Part of the shoe on the ground
    2. Push feet against pads
    3. Squeeze glutes prior to moving into set position
    4. Push against pads as you move up to set
    5. Flick wrist/arm when you hear the gun go.

Overtime 2 and 3 change to later in the set position
    Continuing to learn is one thing in life that has to continue.

For myself and my athletes I do this
    back into blocks.
    Slight lean forward.
    IN the set postion raise hips only, feet flush on pedals
    inhale and clear mind
    snap and pump aka flip wrist and pump arms.

Mindset,
    I am asking athlete I coach to clear the mind and stay relaxed before we are getting into the blocks.
    They are getting only one instruction before, whether it is to flick the hand or press the back heel to the block it's only one thing.
    They need be in the zone, then we are ready to go.
    My approach is that we are doing only four/eight starts, low number of starts contributing to certain way of thinking that every rep matters and therefore all the conditions must be optimal so that they are able to execute the start effectively and efficiently being as close to perfection as possible.
    Last edited by wermouth; 01-28-2016 at 02:08 PM.

when in the blocks keep it sweet n simple=less confusion. when in the blocks or in set relax as much as you can. by anticipating an action your actual reaction will be slower. if I was to scare the crap of you while you were ina relaxed mode ie watching tv etc your first reaction would be to jump/react right. exact same principle in the blocks. the rest after that you've practiced over and over in practice and honestly the first 30m will be a blur as it happens sop fast ina a meet situation
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
    when in the blocks keep it sweet n simple=less confusion. when in the blocks or in set relax as much as you can. by anticipating an action your actual reaction will be slower. if I was to scare the crap of you while you were ina relaxed mode ie watching tv etc your first reaction would be to jump/react right. exact same principle in the blocks. the rest after that you've practiced over and over in practice and honestly the first 30m will be a blur as it happens sop fast ina a meet situation
    Great points!

All good points indeed. We also found that with the StartMeter, we're able to establish some degree of visual awareness to support the cognitive process.

Just another tool to associate the scheme of things. We're a small group which does allow a good deal of time spent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
    You want to be that sleeping cat in front of the fire place. In a full relaxation. step on its tail and that cats outta there.........bud winter

"You must train your body so that every single limb on your body thinks and acts for itself. Messages can only travel so fast through the nervous system. When you rely on thoughts for physical activity, you lose precious time." - Whis to Vegeta, from the anime Dragon Ball Super