Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 28

Thread: mindset in the blocks

  1. #11

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Thank you for all the replies they have been super helpful. I'm gonna try to be the "sleeping cat" on my starts on friday. in the meantime, I have some videos on a start from last week and a 30m fly. Anyone care to critique?

    block- real time
    https://youtu.be/EtNsfNkoJWY

    block- slo mo
    https://youtu.be/2qj61-y8mN8

    30m fly
    https://youtu.be/JSiv7a2x22A

  2. #12

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Form looks good on those. The only thing I would change is to raise the back block to a steeper angle. Atm. the foot is at a different angle to the blocks and therefore has to push back to make contact with the block before it can push off the block.

  3. #13

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Form looks good on those. The only thing I would change is to raise the back block to a steeper angle. Atm. the foot is at a different angle to the blocks and therefore has to push back to make contact with the block before it can push off the block.
    There's a stretch reflex that comes into play. Notice Fraser-Pryce's back foot in slow motion (best start video I know of):

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8L3xOgGJvM

    Charlie's block settings were front pad minimum angle, back pad up one click. But I totally agree with X-man in the post above. My "cue" in the blocks is: Don't Think.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bentz View Post
    Thank you for all the replies they have been super helpful. I'm gonna try to be the "sleeping cat" on my starts on friday. in the meantime, I have some videos on a start from last week and a 30m fly. Anyone care to critique?

    block- real time
    https://youtu.be/EtNsfNkoJWY

    block- slo mo
    https://youtu.be/2qj61-y8mN8

    30m fly
    https://youtu.be/JSiv7a2x22A
    You demonstrate an interesting movement anomaly in the block start videos similar to what we see from DeGrasse in that, during your acceleration, one elbow (your left) fully extends during back side action while the opposing one does not. Have you noticed that in yourself for some time?

    Regarding the 30m fly, be mindful not to over do the knee lift. On a few of those strides it appears as if your knee is bordering on vertical displacement beyond the crease in the hip. If this happens, the horizontal distance between the knee and the hip begins to lessen and the hips will drop. Something to be mindful of.

  5. #15

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Yes, the stretch reflex is important. The difference between SFP and Bentz is that SFP's back foot is in contact with the block which means the heel only travels back one or two cms to initiate the stretch reflex, while on Bentz' video most of the foot is not in contact with the block thus forcing the heel to travel back quite some distance before push off can occur.

  6. #16
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    4,018

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Yes, the stretch reflex is important. The difference between SFP and Bentz is that SFP's back foot is in contact with the block which means the heel only travels back one or two cms to initiate the stretch reflex, while on Bentz' video most of the foot is not in contact with the block thus forcing the heel to travel back quite some distance before push off can occur.
    I always like to have both feet flush on both pedals so that the only place i can go is forward.

  7. #17

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    You demonstrate an interesting movement anomaly in the block start videos similar to what we see from DeGrasse in that, during your acceleration, one elbow (your left) fully extends during back side action while the opposing one does not. Have you noticed that in yourself for some time?

    Regarding the 30m fly, be mindful not to over do the knee lift. On a few of those strides it appears as if your knee is bordering on vertical displacement beyond the crease in the hip. If this happens, the horizontal distance between the knee and the hip begins to lessen and the hips will drop. Something to be mindful of.
    i have noticed the elbow extension for some time now. Im not sure what to do about it. On the fly I don't think I display that in longer sprints, on that rep i was thinking about stepping up and over and getting my foot to cycle above the opposite knee. i really wanted to hit that sprint position and feel it in the hamstrings and glutes. I have a 60m race on youtube do you see a similar pattern?https://youtu.be/haLduACDSII

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sacramento County
    Posts
    575

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Is one leg a lot stronger than the other?

    I did the same thing but with my right arm in HS 10-12th grade. Even though my left leg was stronger..it was slightly less explosive bc I damaged my left knee Fresh year of HS.
    In video of me when I was in 8th grade winning the 100 and LJ I did not do that however.
    After that, I realized this and worked on it but it took a lot of time.
    I used to be able to dunk of my left leg in basketball before it happened. but after the injury..forget about it.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Bentz View Post
    i have noticed the elbow extension for some time now. Im not sure what to do about it. On the fly I don't think I display that in longer sprints, on that rep i was thinking about stepping up and over and getting my foot to cycle above the opposite knee. i really wanted to hit that sprint position and feel it in the hamstrings and glutes. I have a 60m race on youtube do you see a similar pattern?https://youtu.be/haLduACDSII
    I deduced that you were, in effect, forcing a particular position on that fly. In the race you look good. Interesting to note the left arm in the race during the acceleration. Clearly it's something that happens during max intensity acceleration which is why we don't see it in your fly video.

    It would be interesting see high fps (+120) and his resolution (1080p) film of you from the front on a max intensity acceleration in order to see if the longer lever arm of your left arm creates an excess of observable asymmetric thoracic rotation.

  10. #20

    Re: mindset in the blocks

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    I always like to have both feet flush on both pedals so that the only place i can go is forward.
    I'm with chris...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •