Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Hep 800m training

  1. #1

    Hep 800m training

    Hi Everyone,

    So I wanted to see if anyone here might have a good progression for a heptathlete that is a decent sprinter jumper.

    Here are some PRs: (the kid is 18yo will be 19 in march)
    100h 13.82
    HJ 5'5" (no practice)
    LJ 5.96
    200m 25.1
    100m 12.0

    Her 800m is horrendous 2:40.

    Unfortunately I dont know how to train for the 800M and the "Expert Coach" she's working with is burying her week in week out with volume that as he put it "is going to hurt her speed but we should get her down to 2:20" - no comment.

    Todays speed killing workout:
    3x3x500M at race pace.
    Last weeks work out was 3x500m (not sure why he progressed them to 9 reps)

    If anyone could share info on how to train a sprinter type heptathlete please share some info :-)

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Quote Originally Posted by nycjay01 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    So I wanted to see if anyone here might have a good progression for a heptathlete that is a decent sprinter jumper.

    Here are some PRs: (the kid is 18yo will be 19 in march)
    100h 13.82
    HJ 5'5" (no practice)
    LJ 5.96
    200m 25.1
    100m 12.0

    Her 800m is horrendous 2:40.

    Unfortunately I dont know how to train for the 800M and the "Expert Coach" she's working with is burying her week in week out with volume that as he put it "is going to hurt her speed but we should get her down to 2:20" - no comment.

    Todays speed killing workout:
    3x3x500M at race pace.
    Last weeks work out was 3x500m (not sure why he progressed them to 9 reps)

    If anyone could share info on how to train a sprinter type heptathlete please share some info :-)

    Thanks
    Hello NYCjayo1, it would certainly be useful if you first provided some detail as to what her existing weekly training looks like.

  3. #3

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Heres a sample week.

    Monday:
    Sick (all the kids got each other sick by sharing water bottles- so bad she got fluid in her lungs-a first for her.)
    tues:
    3x5hurdles @ 7.5m
    3x4x80m hard with 30sec rest and 20min between sets (10 low to 9 high)
    wednesday:
    30min on bike
    hurdle walkovers
    medball throws
    thursday:
    SP/HJ
    2x4x200m @ 800m race pace (33-35 sec)
    core
    Friday:
    Javelin
    3x700m on grass timed
    Weights
    Saturday:
    core
    3x4x80m sand sprints (she finds these really difficult and says she gets dropped by the girls who she beats on the track work)

    She is full of self doubt now because she cant keep up to girls who can do this type of work (the large volume of intensive tempo)

    Her background is mostly CF style training.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Quote Originally Posted by nycjay01 View Post
    Heres a sample week.

    Monday:
    Sick (all the kids got each other sick by sharing water bottles- so bad she got fluid in her lungs-a first for her.)
    tues:
    3x5hurdles @ 7.5m
    3x4x80m hard with 30sec rest and 20min between sets (10 low to 9 high)
    wednesday:
    30min on bike
    hurdle walkovers
    medball throws
    thursday:
    SP/HJ
    2x4x200m @ 800m race pace (33-35 sec)
    core
    Friday:
    Javelin
    3x700m on grass timed
    Weights
    Saturday:
    core
    3x4x80m sand sprints (she finds these really difficult and says she gets dropped by the girls who she beats on the track work)

    She is full of self doubt now because she cant keep up to girls who can do this type of work (the large volume of intensive tempo)

    Her background is mostly CF style training.
    Hi NYCJay,

    Is there a particular reason you think her 800 is so much worse than expected? That's pretty far off what one would expect based on her speed. Does she have any anxiety or breathing issues?

    Is her 12.0 / 25.1 PB an electric time? There seems to be an obvious drop-off between 100m and 200m time.

    That is a LOT of volume for sand sprints (which I assume are in bare feet). I like sand walks for foot strengthening, mobility and stimulation (I use a series I learned from Rana Reider) but I'm not in love with running in sand. What is the purpose of the sand sprints? Is this a specific workout? Is it a short term bridge between elements?

    How is her fitness when it comes to tempo? Is she able to complete a big circuit?

  5. #5

    Re: Hep 800m training

    3 x 3 x 500 at race pace is crazy even for an 800m specialist.

    Her weekly programme includes too many hard days. 2 x speed type sessions with the 80m efforts and 2 x mid distance hard days (the 4x200 and 700m sessions).

    Running 2 x (4x200) @800 pace and 3 x 700 - in a group session this will turn into 800m time trials. Bad physically and mentally to do too much work at race pace.

    I have no background in multi events but from first principles I can see heptathlon contains many speed/strength/coordination activities that require an athlete to be fresh - which is not possible with the above volume of hard training.


    My suspicion about her slow 800m - possible lack of aerobic conditioning. And the above is contributing to that.
    Her previous CF programme has built the foundation for sprinting and hurdling speed. Why not stick to core principles of that and just increase tempo volume to improve her 800m time ?

  6. #6

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Running on sand carries a high risk of achilles tendon injury (ten times higher than running on the road). I would work on her 200m, which is a lot weaker than her 100m) and aerobic fitness (by gradually building up her volume of extensive tempo). This should take care of the speed reserve and fitness she will need to improve her 800m without interfering with her speed. Speed is the most important quality of a multi eventer, so it shouldn't be sacrificed for a better 800m.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    487

    Re: Hep 800m training

    I agree with all the guys above, thet have made a good points.
    T-slow pointed out very important factor "anxiety"
    Or there might be other factor. In my opinion many multies just don't know how to run their mid distance events. I think from her results she should be able to go around 2.20.
    I have worked with one heptathlete and she wasn't as fast as the one you are talking about however the volume of work was more than half lower to what your athlete is doing with two tempo days a week of 1800m she run 2'26".
    Sometimes is a matter of a character.
    Last edited by wermouth; 10-28-2015 at 06:35 PM.

  8. #8

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Hi NYCJay,

    Is there a particular reason you think her 800 is so much worse than expected? That's pretty far off what one would expect based on her speed. Does she have any anxiety or breathing issues?

    Is her 12.0 / 25.1 PB an electric time? There seems to be an obvious drop-off between 100m and 200m time.

    That is a LOT of volume for sand sprints (which I assume are in bare feet). I like sand walks for foot strengthening, mobility and stimulation (I use a series I learned from Rana Reider) but I'm not in love with running in sand. What is the purpose of the sand sprints? Is this a specific workout? Is it a short term bridge between elements?

    How is her fitness when it comes to tempo? Is she able to complete a big circuit?
    She ran 2:35 last year and as a middle schooler she ran 2:50. I've seen girls much weaker and slower improve in the 800. I think its partially training/knowing how to run it and the other part might be mental. She has gotten used to everything feeling easy even her PRs. I agree about the sand sprints and to the other posters point about achillies injury the university's best hep girl was in a boot last year for months for her achillies. Her fitness is good she is super lean six pack etc... and she can handle 16/32sec during tempo. I would not be able to tell you what the rationale is for the progressions but my guess its a knock off of Harry Marra's training.

  9. #9

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Quote Originally Posted by oldbloke View Post
    3 x 3 x 500 at race pace is crazy even for an 800m specialist.

    Her weekly programme includes too many hard days. 2 x speed type sessions with the 80m efforts and 2 x mid distance hard days (the 4x200 and 700m sessions).

    Running 2 x (4x200) @800 pace and 3 x 700 - in a group session this will turn into 800m time trials. Bad physically and mentally to do too much work at race pace.

    I have no background in multi events but from first principles I can see heptathlon contains many speed/strength/coordination activities that require an athlete to be fresh - which is not possible with the above volume of hard training.


    My suspicion about her slow 800m - possible lack of aerobic conditioning. And the above is contributing to that.
    Her previous CF programme has built the foundation for sprinting and hurdling speed. Why not stick to core principles of that and just increase tempo volume to improve her 800m time ?
    I agree. My hands are tied though since she is at a major uni and I have to sit back and watch the whole thing... I'm very worried what the outcome will be come this indoors... Her best indoors is 8.60 in the 60M Hurdles. I hope she can be close to this it would be a great start...

  10. #10

    Re: Hep 800m training

    Any hep/dec coaches out there care to add any suggestions on 800M training for the hep?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •