Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Experiment in progress.

Re: Experiment in progress.

Internet, YouTube and look good fitness articles are the bane of sports training programmes and add very limited benefits to the body of knowledge of athletes.

I can read Speed Trap and watch the GPP and SPP videos. Or get a contrasting view from the Clyde Hart 200 and 400 published schedules. That gives me about 80% of what I need to know sprinting.
    I can read one of Arthur Lyddiard`s books or Frank Horwill articles. That tells me 80% of what I need to know about endurance running.
    The rest - well that`s for understanding the basics of recovery, regeneration and nutrition.

So what makes up the rest of the internet and You Tube and why bother reading it ???

I can join a road running club for 25 a year or a national level athletics club for 60 pa. Free coaching, subsidised use of track and reduced/free entry to races.
    Or I can pay 50 per hour for a single PT session.

There is too much cutting and pasting or rehashing of activities and programes that make up very little of the content of the true sports training programmes of the above gurus.
    No doubt some content is valid for Joe Public wishing to get fit but I rarely see much relevance to athletes.

The pareto principle, The Vital Few or whatever you want to call it.

So that`s me getting hyped, and I have`nt started on some of the science and statistics out there !!

Don't get me started on social media coaching exerts, I have an issue with ALTIS if I'm honest!

So much copy paste of the same bullshit wickets everyday that I see people copying, wanting the cherry without baking the cake!!

Quote Originally Posted by a-j View Post
    Don't get me started on social media coaching exerts, I have an issue with ALTIS if I'm honest!

So much copy paste of the same bullshit wickets everyday that I see people copying, wanting the cherry without baking the cake!!
    What do mean Altis is copy paste?

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Flash

You are or you have been an excellent student of the topic of sprinting and speed and how to execute.

It's too easy for people to read a simple and inexpensive book like 'Speed Trap' and follow what the "Chuckster" was saying. (no one calls Charlie Chuck, nor should anyone call him Chuck ever except on occasion I will or may refer to Charlie as " ...... " ... thank you )

Chris your comments are like gold for me when I read what you say.
    Thank you. High praise indeed. I'm just glad I haven't completely misinterpreted everything.

Quote Originally Posted by kwave View Post
    When I think step straight down, my shin angle is too vertical at ground contact and it pops me up, not just elevating the hips, but my entire body becomes more upright. From what I've seen, when I think step down, my shin angle really is vertical when seen on the video so it's not just my perception. I would think that my shin angle has to be little more acute in order for me to have a "drive phase" as seen by outside observers.
    This is where we run into the limitations of using general cues. What works for one person might not work for another. It's difficult without providing feedback in person on the spot. It sounds like you might be rushing the acceleration, which is very common. Without hands on coaching I think the best advice I could give is to cut the power and emphasize smooth, relaxed technique until things settle into place.

Learning how to relax in the face of wanting and trying is a skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbloke View Post
    Internet, YouTube and look good fitness articles are the bane of sports training programmes and add very limited benefits to the body of knowledge of athletes.

I can read Speed Trap and watch the GPP and SPP videos. Or get a contrasting view from the Clyde Hart 200 and 400 published schedules. That gives me about 80% of what I need to know sprinting.
    I can read one of Arthur Lyddiard`s books or Frank Horwill articles. That tells me 80% of what I need to know about endurance running.
    The rest - well that`s for understanding the basics of recovery, regeneration and nutrition.

So what makes up the rest of the internet and You Tube and why bother reading it ???

I can join a road running club for 25 a year or a national level athletics club for 60 pa. Free coaching, subsidised use of track and reduced/free entry to races.
    Or I can pay 50 per hour for a single PT session.

There is too much cutting and pasting or rehashing of activities and programes that make up very little of the content of the true sports training programmes of the above gurus.
    No doubt some content is valid for Joe Public wishing to get fit but I rarely see much relevance to athletes.

The pareto principle, The Vital Few or whatever you want to call it.

So that`s me getting hyped, and I have`nt started on some of the science and statistics out there !!

And this is where the monetization of information goes wrong quickly.

"If you can't show them confuse them?" CMF said this about some coaches who will remain nameless.

This site has been based on an entire athletes career and then an life time of coaching. It is the same in the nutrition space online but worse because losing weight and making sure you are healthy are not always the same thing. You can lose weight and not be really concerning yourself with hormonal balances and long term implications to the content of your calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    I know for lots of you talking about the girls might mean you are not able to relate but one of the very talented girls I have been coaching kept talking to me about drive phase and I have no friggen idea what the heck she was saying except SOMEONE told her about the drive phase.

Well guess what. STOP THINKING
    People have different way of describing that early part of the race, and I'm still learning more about it. Though, even things I already understand, I find are very difficult to execute. Understanding and physically doing are really different, though related.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    This is where we run into the limitations of using general cues. What works for one person might not work for another. It's difficult without providing feedback in person on the spot. It sounds like you might be rushing the acceleration, which is very common. Without hands on coaching I think the best advice I could give is to cut the power and emphasize smooth, relaxed technique until things settle into place.
    You're right, thank you. I need to find what speed I need to execute it because if I go too slow, I lose balance, but too fast will make me lose rhythm and control.

Quote Originally Posted by kwave View Post
    You're right, thank you. I need to find what speed I need to execute it because if I go too slow, I lose balance, but too fast will make me lose rhythm and control.
    Try this drill. Mark off about 10m. Start lying down in a pushup position or on your side or back. On command from a training partner or just on your own initiative, scramble to your feet and run toward the marker. Don't go full out, just 80% effort. The chaos from scrambling to your feet keeps you from thinking too much about your movements. Just relax and get there. Do a couple sets of 10 with walk back recovery.

Part of your problem might be a simple lack of strength. You might not have enough strength at this point to properly extend your body over the ground. It will come. Generally, the younger you are and the earlier in your training you are, the less you need to emphasize the early stages of the race anyway. That's where you get the lowest return from your efforts. Don't ignore it completely, but don't get too hung up on it either. Over the long term your training emphasis should start at the end of the race and work backwards. That's where a lot of people go wrong, including yours truly.