Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 356

Thread: Experiment in progress.

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Remember that you don't have to eliminate a high intensity session if you'd like to have them perform the intensive tempo on the same day as a pre-existing high intensity session.

    In a 2 or 3 high intensity day a week split the speed or special endurance would rarely be performed to the exclusion of the vital start, accelerations, and even max V work.

    So with your athletes presumably still being on the hill on the high intensity days, it will be very easy to introduce intensive tempo after one of the hill sessions. Just be mindful of the volume of both training components you have them perform.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Remember that you don't have to eliminate a high intensity session if you'd like to have them perform the intensive tempo on the same day as a pre-existing high intensity session.

    In a 2 or 3 high intensity day a week split the speed or special endurance would rarely be performed to the exclusion of the vital start, accelerations, and even max V work.

    So with your athletes presumably still being on the hill on the high intensity days, it will be very easy to introduce intensive tempo after one of the hill sessions. Just be mindful of the volume of both training components you have them perform.
    Sure, I was considering such an option: 2x4x40+2x3x150.
    Just prefer to do less and be safe than overwork and be sorry.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Sure, I was considering such an option: 2x4x40+2x3x150.
    Just prefer to do less and be safe than overwork and be sorry.
    At the very least I would always recommend some start/acceleration work prior to any intensive tempo, speed endurance, or special endurance- provided the work is being done on a high intensity day.

    2x4x40 on the hill is still a reasonably substantial volume of 320m. Consider you have 2x3x150 at intensive tempo pace in mind you could easily have them perform 4-6x10m, 3-5x30m, prior to 2x3x150

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    At the very least I would always recommend some start/acceleration work prior to any intensive tempo, speed endurance, or special endurance- provided the work is being done on a high intensity day.

    2x4x40 on the hill is still a reasonably substantial volume of 320m. Consider you have 2x3x150 at intensive tempo pace in mind you could easily have them perform 4-6x10m, 3-5x30m, prior to 2x3x150
    Yep, that might be an option.
    I think this kind of workout would fit on Friday before tempo day on Saturday and day off Sunday.
    Thanks for the contribution.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Sure thing, then as time moves forward you might think about shifting to the intensive tempo, or speed endurance, or special endurance on the Wednesday session (in a Mon/Wed/Fr High intensity scheme) in order to offer a midweek reprieve from the highest intensity work.

    For example, Mon-predominance of acceleration, Wed-predominance of lactic, by way of intensive tempo, speed end, or special end, and Friday a predominance of max V. Each day giving you the option of having them perform some starts/accelerations before the main work.

    The other thing to consider is to flip the sequence to Mon/Wed/Fri low intensity/tempo and Tue, Thu, Sat Hi intensity. In this way, you start the week with the lower intensity initial exposure which sets some tone in the system going into Tuesday; whereas, the Sunday off (with tempo on Saturday), then Monday high intensity presents a greater neuromuscular transition from reduced tone (no work on Sunday) to the high intensity contractions on Monday.

    In this way, they'd go:
    Mon-tempo or any other low intensity
    Tue- Speed (acceleration emphasis)
    Wed- tempo or low intensity activity
    Thu- Speed (intensive tempo, or speed end, or special end emphasis)
    Fri- tempo or low intensity activity
    Sat- Speed (max V emphasis)
    Sun- off

    As an aside, it also becomes interesting for you to look ahead to the desired competition schedule and determine if there are more meets on a Tue/Thu/Sat or a Mon/Wed/Fri as that should influence the high/low training split. By ensuring that the high/low split coincides with the bulk of the days of the week of the competition calendar the organism becomes inoculated for high intensity stress on the same day of the calendar week as many of the competitions.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Sure thing, then as time moves forward you might think about shifting to the intensive tempo, or speed endurance, or special endurance on the Wednesday session (in a Mon/Wed/Fr High intensity scheme) in order to offer a midweek reprieve from the highest intensity work.

    For example, Mon-predominance of acceleration, Wed-predominance of lactic, by way of intensive tempo, speed end, or special end, and Friday a predominance of max V. Each day giving you the option of having them perform some starts/accelerations before the main work.

    The other thing to consider is to flip the sequence to Mon/Wed/Fri low intensity/tempo and Tue, Thu, Sat Hi intensity. In this way, you start the week with the lower intensity initial exposure which sets some tone in the system going into Tuesday; whereas, the Sunday off (with tempo on Saturday), then Monday high intensity presents a greater neuromuscular transition from reduced tone (no work on Sunday) to the high intensity contractions on Monday.

    In this way, they'd go:
    Mon-tempo or any other low intensity
    Tue- Speed (acceleration emphasis)
    Wed- tempo or low intensity activity
    Thu- Speed (intensive tempo, or speed end, or special end emphasis)
    Fri- tempo or low intensity activity
    Sat- Speed (max V emphasis)
    Sun- off

    As an aside, it also becomes interesting for you to look ahead to the desired competition schedule and determine if there are more meets on a Tue/Thu/Sat or a Mon/Wed/Fri as that should influence the high/low training split. By ensuring that the high/low split coincides with the bulk of the days of the week of the competition calendar the organism becomes inoculated for high intensity stress on the same day of the calendar week as many of the competitions.
    If I'll go with 2x4x40 followed by intensive tempo than I'll keep that on Friday for very simple and practical reason. Shape of the training unit is similar to the session I am going to have in the SPP.

    Unfortunately training on other days you have mentioned (Tue, Thurs) it's not possible at the moment. The flip to Wednesday of lactate work will happen in the second meso.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Poor weather conditions today.
    I planned today 2x4x20, 3x4x40, unfortunately ground on stepper hill was too muddy, consequently I went for 4x4x40. After three sets I decided to stop one athlete due to the fact that soft surface took a lot out of the athlete, other finished the workout.
    Hurdles hops, faster one looking ready to move to higher hurdles, we have been doing 91cm, so next session 1m high, other athlete will remain on 76cm until it gets the ground contacts right. The height over the hurdles is very good unfortunately cannot get the ground contacts right.

    Weights
    Squat 4x6
    Lats 2x10
    Hyper-extension 2x10
    Just reduced weights a bit.
    Solid stretching at the end.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Weather condition poor again, stayed indoors this time.
    4x30, 4x40 build-ups.
    One of the athlete's (faster one or athlete Y) sometimes is forcing upper body forward like this position supposed to help achieve better results. So the objective was to stay upright for the last segments of build ups. 10/20m
    After that we did bike 6x30" lv 10/12 very fast. Recovery 5' lv 3 smooth and rhythmical
    Weights
    Bench 6x6
    Hanging knee ups 4x max number of reps.
    Shoulder press, lats 4x10.
    Abs 250/300 in total.
    Stretching.

    In general athlete Y is little bit more sore than athlete X due to the fact that few sessions were unattended.
    Tomorrow intensive tempo day with several accelerations before.
    Power and strength tests in two weeks time. Looking forward to SPP

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    474

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Did the first intensive tempo session today.
    2x4x40 on the hill
    2x3x150 on track in flats, with 50m walk between reps and 5' between sets.
    In general guys looked quite good. I think if I would do 3rd set of 3x150 it would not be productive.
    We have started the gym session after hurdle hops, however they were bit too flat, so I decided to abandon the gym move to the abs followed by stretching and consequently finish the session.
    In general, I don't know what to think of it, I'll see in three weeks time.
    Thinking about our destination/ SPP workout of 2x3x60+2x150, intensive tempo might help us with the prep to get ready for the workout, we'll see.
    Last edited by wermouth; 10-09-2015 at 06:30 PM.

  10. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Experiment in progress.

    Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Did the first intensive tempo session today.
    2x4x40 on the hill
    2x3x150 on track in flats, with 50m walk between reps and 5' between sets.
    In general guys looked quite good. I think if I would do 3rd set of 3x150 it would not be productive.
    We have started the gym session after hurdle hops, however they were bit too flat, so I decided to abandon the gym move to the abs followed by stretching and consequently finish the session.
    In general, I don't know what to think of it, I'll see in three weeks time.
    Thinking about our destination/ SPP workout of 2x3x60+2x150, intensive tempo might help us with the prep to get ready for the workout, we'll see.
    No doubt weights can be a significant undertaking following substantial lactic loading; particularly if task specific work capacity has not already been established in that regard. That said, given your young athletes the repercussions of missed sessions are more substantial when compared to sprinters with more training years under their belts. As a result, you might consider, if possible, having them do weights later in the day.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •