Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: need help with hurdle issues

Re: need help with hurdle issues

Thanks for sharing a week's training.

I notice a lot of variance in the spacings and heights. What are the reasons and desired outcomes from these? I do use and recommend using spacings for different outcomes, but am curious your thoughts on it first before I will expand.

Are you going to be able to train outside throughout the winter? I know Oregon weather is "interesting" =)

When designing my plan, I start with my peak and work back. This peak might be indoors or outdoors, depending. For my hurdlers now, we focus on a peak in mid-february. I have talked to them about time goals. From these goals, I have an idea of the splits and touchdowns and sprint speed needed. This allows me to have a target focus in training, and everything then is aimed at those metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    Thanks for sharing a week's training.

I notice a lot of variance in the spacings and heights. What are the reasons and desired outcomes from these? I do use and recommend using spacings for different outcomes, but am curious your thoughts on it first before I will expand.

Are you going to be able to train outside throughout the winter? I know Oregon weather is "interesting" =)

When designing my plan, I start with my peak and work back. This peak might be indoors or outdoors, depending. For my hurdlers now, we focus on a peak in mid-february. I have talked to them about time goals. From these goals, I have an idea of the splits and touchdowns and sprint speed needed. This allows me to have a target focus in training, and everything then is aimed at those metrics.
    I suppose the variance is to work on speed and build rhythm and strength in between the sticks. Most of the hurdle info I've read including posts on here suggests to train at lower heights and closer spacing because of the lack of race adrenaline.

Training outside is my only option, Why there aren't any general indoor facilities available for track and field training in the nation's most high profile track state is beyond me. Rain or shine, my goals don't care lol

I'm not sure when or how to design my peak. I'm ten weeks out from the first hep, and will also have chances to qualify for USAs in January and February. The big meet is the second week of march.

I modified the workout on Thursday because I was back in the grass instead of the track due to scheduling issues.

Modified training-thursday 9/30/15Dynamic warmup
    A. 6x 1 step drill over 5 hurdles into.box jump
    Left&Right side SP stand throw as subset

B. 6x 5 step over 2h @39"
    6x 5 step over 4h @39"

C. 12 full shot put throws- experimented with Eaton shuffle for the 1st time. Was hitting much better power positions and adding 3+ feet to marks from last week. Very excited to continue that progression
    D. 6x20m hill sprints low grade
    3x60m hill medium grade

E. Weights- bench, hip flexor mob, towel pullups, DB bench, cable rows, 1 leg RDL, cooldown
    Cooldown

here is video on the day, the focus was a tighter trail leg
    https://youtu.be/Cu9MNnVt12M

and here is slo mo on 42in and 39
    https://youtu.be/_EWmjeOlN0o

im too close at takeoff but feel good about the trail leg progress

I like to keep things simple. For fast hurdle days, I like to set the hurdles at spacings and heights that allow the athlete's rhythm to be at a goal type effort. If goal splits are 1.0, then I try to get them at that distance and height to achieve it. I use lower heights to help with faster flight times. For my athletes on 39s, we use 36s. I feel this work helps groove the desired rhythm.

I have used use a Hi-Lo hurdle set up. Hi being fast days, things like 3-4x5H, for example, with some 2H starts as well. Using Charlie's sprinter set up, it's possible to do a start focus on say Monday, a hurdle endurance focus on Wednedsay and a Max speed day on Friday (Ross's Zone drill, or some versions where you are approaching hurdles with more speed than is typical. I have used a 5-5-3-3 drill I heard Susanna Kallur's coach talk about. It was ok for the athlete. You come in for 5 steps, 5 steps, 3 steps 3 steps. The 5 steps allow more momentum and higher velocity for the last 2 hurdles.

My hurdler last year had issues 5 stepping (in fact all my hurdlers struggle with 5 stepping so I barely use it). The zone drill wasn't good due to stride length issues, so I modified a drill I saw PJ use with one of his hurdlers. We would do 5-6 H, the first 2-3 hurdles were tipped over. and the hurdles got progressively taller for the last 1-2 depending on their coordination and training progress. The shorter hurdles helped take off angles as they became used to sprinting through, gaining speed to work on the last few hurdles at those higher speeds.

On Low days, depending on their background, how they felt etc, we usually did tempo work, but often some type of hurdle technique work. My top male hurdle would do a quick 3 step drill with 5 yd spacing over 36"s (started with 33s). He tended to float over the hurdle, so this forced him to become quicker over top to avoid crashing into the next hurdle.

As I see the slow mo side views, to me I would say you are coming up too soon. I'm not sure of what cue to give you, except maybe be patiently fast. Patient coming up tall on touchdown, but still fast over top.

I might also do the sled.hill type runs on the days I do start focus. Not saying it's wrong, that's just what I would do.

Keep posting things, this will be a great journal!

Quote Originally Posted by Bentz View Post
    I suppose the variance is to work on speed and build rhythm and strength in between the sticks. Most of the hurdle info I've read including posts on here suggests to train at lower heights and closer spacing because of the lack of race adrenaline.

Training outside is my only option, Why there aren't any general indoor facilities available for track and field training in the nation's most high profile track state is beyond me. Rain or shine, my goals don't care lol

I'm not sure when or how to design my peak. I'm ten weeks out from the first hep, and will also have chances to qualify for USAs in January and February. The big meet is the second week of march.

I modified the workout on Thursday because I was back in the grass instead of the track due to scheduling issues.

Modified training-thursday 9/30/15Dynamic warmup
    A. 6x 1 step drill over 5 hurdles into.box jump
    Left&Right side SP stand throw as subset

B. 6x 5 step over 2h @39"
    6x 5 step over 4h @39"

C. 12 full shot put throws- experimented with Eaton shuffle for the 1st time. Was hitting much better power positions and adding 3+ feet to marks from last week. Very excited to continue that progression
    D. 6x20m hill sprints low grade
    3x60m hill medium grade

E. Weights- bench, hip flexor mob, towel pullups, DB bench, cable rows, 1 leg RDL, cooldown
    Cooldown

here is video on the day, the focus was a tighter trail leg
    https://youtu.be/Cu9MNnVt12M

and here is slo mo on 42in and 39
    https://youtu.be/_EWmjeOlN0o

im too close at takeoff but feel good about the trail leg progress
    Some of the grass videos I think the lead leg is opening up too early (meaning I believe you need more flexion of the lead leg) and as you say the takeoffs are too close-need to bring the TO angle lower which is of course helped by increasing TO distance. Along with that you can see the TO leg with a significant degree of flexion.

Quote Originally Posted by ESTI View Post
    I like to keep things simple. For fast hurdle days, I like to set the hurdles at spacings and heights that allow the athlete's rhythm to be at a goal type effort. If goal splits are 1.0, then I try to get them at that distance and height to achieve it. I use lower heights to help with faster flight times. For my athletes on 39s, we use 36s. I feel this work helps groove the desired rhythm.

I have used use a Hi-Lo hurdle set up. Hi being fast days, things like 3-4x5H, for example, with some 2H starts as well. Using Charlie's sprinter set up, it's possible to do a start focus on say Monday, a hurdle endurance focus on Wednedsay and a Max speed day on Friday (Ross's Zone drill, or some versions where you are approaching hurdles with more speed than is typical. I have used a 5-5-3-3 drill I heard Susanna Kallur's coach talk about. It was ok for the athlete. You come in for 5 steps, 5 steps, 3 steps 3 steps. The 5 steps allow more momentum and higher velocity for the last 2 hurdles.

My hurdler last year had issues 5 stepping (in fact all my hurdlers struggle with 5 stepping so I barely use it). The zone drill wasn't good due to stride length issues, so I modified a drill I saw PJ use with one of his hurdlers. We would do 5-6 H, the first 2-3 hurdles were tipped over. and the hurdles got progressively taller for the last 1-2 depending on their coordination and training progress. The shorter hurdles helped take off angles as they became used to sprinting through, gaining speed to work on the last few hurdles at those higher speeds.

On Low days, depending on their background, how they felt etc, we usually did tempo work, but often some type of hurdle technique work. My top male hurdle would do a quick 3 step drill with 5 yd spacing over 36"s (started with 33s). He tended to float over the hurdle, so this forced him to become quicker over top to avoid crashing into the next hurdle.

As I see the slow mo side views, to me I would say you are coming up too soon. I'm not sure of what cue to give you, except maybe be patiently fast. Patient coming up tall on touchdown, but still fast over top.

I might also do the sled.hill type runs on the days I do start focus. Not saying it's wrong, that's just what I would do.

Keep posting things, this will be a great journal!

I love the 3 step 5 step workouts, my freshman year I used to run side by side with our 14 second guys in that drill on the 39s, it was a blast!
    I think the coming up too fast problem will be solved with more speed. I was jogging and doing light 5 stepping in both of those drills. We'll see how it goes on the track next week

https://youtu.be/jexxM-_oqwE
    https://youtu.be/wp9MaJHNx5k

Monday 10/5/15
    warmup, drills
    4x 4 starts over 2h @39" moved one space in
    4x 4 starts over 4h@36" moved one space in
    2x30m flys
    weights

heres video from Mondays practice. It was a strange session, my warmup and drills felt amazing, very explosive. But when I got in the blocks and started the workout It felt really slow and flat. I wasn't very happy with the trail leg compared to the previous session, I wasnt able to get the trail foot tight underneath me and down at full speed. And when I moved up to 4 hurdles getting through the 3rd and 4th was very floaty, felt like i was on the verge of puddle jumping. It didnt inspire much confidence. Despite this my touchdown times were in the 8.3-8.6 pace range, but the 42s will be less forgiving at normal spacing...

HI/LO is starting to pay off. this past monday I had a great speed session with the hurdles. on my starts over 2h at 39" 28ft spacing, I had the fastest touchdown times to date. I'm looking forward to building on this in SPP
    https://youtu.be/juCKhX1X0VU

I think fall training thus far has been successful. I've been doing lots of drills and running over 2-5 hurdles in my reps, 1-2 sessions per week since september and Im starting to regain my hurdle swagger and build some confidence. This is a video of me from November 6th going over 4h at 28ft distance in between at 42 inches. Its the first time I've ever truly sprinted through a set on 42s. What a rush! touchdown times indicate I'm on track to meet my goals for the indoor season:]

Quote Originally Posted by Bentz View Post
    I think fall training thus far has been successful. I've been doing lots of drills and running over 2-5 hurdles in my reps, 1-2 sessions per week since september and Im starting to regain my hurdle swagger and build some confidence. This is a video of me from November 6th going over 4h at 28ft distance in between at 42 inches. Its the first time I've ever truly sprinted through a set on 42s. What a rush! touchdown times indicate I'm on track to meet my goals for the indoor season:]

Looks really good Bentz.