Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Preparing for a breakout year (Critique gladly welcomed)

Re: Preparing for a breakout year (Critique gladly welcomed)

Monday 11/9/15- HI
    warmup
    Lj drills, 5x 10 stride LJs
    WEIGHTS
    6x4 power cleans @165
    6×6 incline db bench @55
    6×15m acceleration Into 10 LR bounds
    1×4 3x3 box squats @225,315
    3x10 med ball leg raise
    3x10 thoracic rotation

Tuesday 11/10/15- LO
    Spin bike tempo
    3x10minutes 1min on/off
    Med ball circuit x3
    Jav ball drills

Wednesday 11/11/15
    Warmup
    Hurdle drills
    4x starts over 2h
    Shot- 8 stands, 6 glides
    Pole vault- 12 jumps 5lefts

Thursday- 11/12/15
    Lo- 30 minute spin bike circuit
    With Kettlebell swings, inverted rows, pushups, boxing bag

Friday- HI
    warmup
    Hurdle drills
    HJ approach rehearsal× 10
    1×40m
    4x60m over 3hurdles
    Weights: power focus
    6x4 Trap bar Dl @225
    6×6 incline Db bench @50
    4x4 jump squats @100
    4×10 med ball hanging knee raise into 10 med ball slams
    3x explode core series- 1 minute long(15 seconds jump rope, 30 sec rest, 15 seconds weighted Russian twists)
    Cooldown

Saturday-
    Off - active recovery
    30 minutes spin bike intervals and stretching

Sunday-
    LO- tempo
    10 minute elliptical warmup
    21 minutes of elliptical intervals 1 min 20on/40off. 2 miles total
    Eldoa stretching

Monday- 11/16/15- HI
    WARMUP
    pole vault drills short approach
    8 jumps 5 lefts
    5 jumps 4 lefts
    4x 5 step LJ approach
    3x 6 step LJ approach
    Weights-
    Power cleans 6x3@160
    Db bench 6×6@45
    Box squats 1x4 @225 3×3@295
    Band external rotation 3×10
    Med ball hang raise into slam 3×8
    1min explode core- jump rope/russian 3×1

Tuesday- LO
    Took the day Off to catch up on sleep and prep a ton of healthy food

Wednesday- HI
    warmup
    Hurdle drills
    2x start over 2 hurdle
    2x start over 3 hurdle
    Shot put- 5 stands
    8 full glides
    Pole vault- short pole drills
    3× 5 lefts- 13' 185
    8× 5 lefts- 14' 180
    4× 3 lefts- 13' 180
    5× 5L long jump

Thursday- LO
    Warmup
    4,3,2,1 @60-75%
    1,2,1,2,1 @60-75%
    400m bodyweight circuit
    2100m total volume
    Core med ball
    Eldoa

Friday-
    Warmup
    LJ Approach rehearsal- 30-35m x 6
    HJ approach rehearsal-20-25m × 7
    5x OHB+UHF+3 run-run-jump
    Cooldown

*awful long work week. Sleep was definitely deprived (6-7 hours most of the week). My nutrition and Hydration is saving my ass. Eldoa is also making a difference. Heading into a deload week. 2015 indoor debut is officially 2 weeks away!

Saturday- Off

Sunday- 15 minutes elliptical. light stretch

Monday- testing. Cloudy and 40 degrees outside
    SLJ 2.85
    OHB 17.10
    FLY 30M 3.26
    Standing 150m 17.66
    Indoor Pole vault practice- 12 jumps 4 lefts on 13' 185

Tuesday- recovery/bench press failed max at 245/ eldoa

Wednesday- testing. clear sunny 40 degrees windy
    STJ- 8.47m PR in flats!
    Uhf 16.44
    3pt 30m 4.19
    300m 41.6- Great form run. Was not happy with the time, but the sun was setting and the temperature was below 40 degress. Pressing hard could of led to injury.

All in all I'm satisfied with the testing results, my speed and power has improved despite the temperature dropping 20+ degress in the last month.

Looking forward to thanksgiving. Playing in a football game tomorrow!

Here's an update since thanksgiving:

Thursday THANKSGIVING 11/27/15-
    1.5 hour tackle Football game
    Rest

Friday-
    MMA/boxing workout
    Rest

Saturday- Off
    Sunday- Off

Monday- HI
    Warmup
    Pole vault drills
    12 jumps at 6, 5 lefts
    Go to 84'7 for 6l on 14'6 190
    6x 6left LJ

Tuesday- LO
    8x100m strides, core, broken 600m, ELDOA

Wednesday-
    Shot put meet prep
    Pole vault- 12+ jumps from 6 lefts

Thursday 12/3/15-
    warmup, gurdle drills, 4-5 starts over 2 hurdles, ELDOA

Friday 12/4/15-
    warmup, acceleration mechanics, shakeout

2015 INDOOR DEBUT- Heptathlon SUMMARY 12/5-6,
    HUB CITY INDOOR PREVIEW, Centralia, Washington

Early Morning departure with plenty of stops along the 3 hour drive north to the Facility. We (myself and my friend mike) arrive to rainy windy conditions with temperatures in the low 40s. To our surprise we are the only registered heptathlon competitors so right off the bat it isn't legal for qualification purposes. All field events were hosted indoors while the running was hosted outside on an adjacent neighboring track. The Warmup went very well and I felt super explosive and had some great starts.

60m- never received an official time due to an error in the timing system. Luckily my HJ coach got it on film. The rain let up for the race, still had a noticeable headwind, temp was 41 degrees F right before the gun went off. I had a poor reaction and felt a stumble in the middle of the drive phase, however I feel like I had decent power considering the cold and performed with good technique and posture through the finish. The hand time I've gotten from the video is a 7.3 so Im fairly happy with that result http://<a href="https://youtu.be/haL...aLduACDSII</a>

Long jump- had my first full approach jumps in 9 months. I definitely wasn't prepared for the speed of the runway and temperature controlled building and kept having to adjust my approach back several feet every jump. 1st round was a foul. second round I crammed in my steps and killed my speed for a legal jump of 5.78m. The third jump was a scratch but was by far my best attempt of the 3, would of measured near 6.40m. This event shows a lot of promise! Cant wait for the next time.

Shot put- We had to scratch the event due to a miscommunication with regards to implements. We thought shots would be provided and there were none. Shit luck.

High jump- first jump session period, since July. I'd been working on my approach rehearsal for 3 or 4 practices leading up to the meet. I had some BOUNCE. Had some very inconsistent takeoffs (which resulted in a very sore achilles post-meet) and my bar rotation is not very good but I ended up clearing 1.80m by over 10cm and had 1.85m in my pocket but clipped it with my heels. 1.95m seems like a real possibility this year!
    https://youtu.be/tuwHYOfmfmY

Due to the fact our meet wasnt legal and we got screwed in 2 events, We decided to shut it down and head home early and not deal with the weather on the 2nd day. We'll be back in January to fight another day. Overall I feel I am on track to meet my indoor goals and have a great outdoor season in the sprints and jumps.

Any video critique or general advice is highly welcomed!!!!

Week of Dec7th- 13th

Monday- Long warmup, maximum velocity 5x50m. explosive lower body weight room and plyos portion. Had a severe lumbar sprain on a failed box squat, immediately went into some eldoa.

Tuesday- rest and ice. could barely move in the morning, managed to decrease pain by 75% and was moving around after 14 hours of self therapy.

Wednesday- rest and ice. managed to hop on the elliptical for 15 minutes and got a good sweat going with no pain.

thursday- rest and ice. was walking and jogging no problem, took an extra day for more therapy

Friday- returned to my job and training, pain free. really dodged a bullet. got through 6 60m in-n-outs and some shot tosses before a great weight room sessions with front squats and hamstring work.

Satruday/sunday-off

Bentz,
    You look very strong and powerful.
    I'd like to go through your training the same way I just went through what Wermouth has been doing with his athletes x and y from a coaching perspective.
    From looking quickly I think you might be able to get a lot more out of your arms in you contain them a little bit more don't you think?
    In the high jump I felt you looked slightly heavy? What did you think?
    Why are you doing front squats which is quad dominate over back squats?
    What happened with the lumbar sprain?
    Do you ever do water therapy and contrast baths? Is all the therapy you currently do self or from someone else?
    Its good you have been okay from the sprain. That is really annoying.
    Good call regarding the comp the other day. Things can get ugly fast when he weather changes and it can be prime injury conditions which is best to proactively avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Bentz,
    You look very strong and powerful.
    I'd like to go through your training the same way I just went through what Wermouth has been doing with his athletes x and y from a coaching perspective.
    From looking quickly I think you might be able to get a lot more out of your arms in you contain them a little bit more don't you think?
    In the high jump I felt you looked slightly heavy? What did you think?
    Why are you doing front squats which is quad dominate over back squats?
    What happened with the lumbar sprain?
    Do you ever do water therapy and contrast baths? Is all the therapy you currently do self or from someone else?
    Its good you have been okay from the sprain. That is really annoying.
    Good call regarding the comp the other day. Things can get ugly fast when he weather changes and it can be prime injury conditions which is best to proactively avoid.
    Thanks for your reply Angela.
    Are you referring to the arms in the 60m, jumps or both? I definitely notice the excess swinging in the drive phase and transition of all the videos. I'm trying to create a big range of motion to create a stretch reflex through the lats and hip flexor, is that a correct thought process? I'll try and bring them contained earlier if it will help.

i felt pretty good in the high jump, I'm still trying to drop a few pounds for that exact reason. Also I think the heaviness "look" is coming from my inconsistent takeoff mechanics and a swinging penultimate which is taking more time to get off the ground because sometimes I plant too far in front of my COM. I'm working on a more natural running off the ground knee drive which will hopefully be more efficient and easier on my body in the long term.

I mix in the front squats for maximum strength maintenance in the throws. I do a ton of posterior lifts and hamstring work that's sprint specific, such as split squat and deadlift variations and back squat variations in power training. How did Charlie manage multi eventers in this regard?

the lumbar sprain has been resolved. Thank God I'm 22 (young and limber and can recover) and have the knowledge on how to treat injuries. The accident happened on Monday and I bounced back by Friday and was training 100% without any thoughts towards the low back.

I am a big time water therapy guy. I love Wim Hof and his breathing techniques and work in cold water science. My nightly routine now consists of sitting in a rushing creek (40-50degrees F) on my ranch up to my chest (working towards full body) for 15 minutes with meditation and breathing variations. It's incredible. Then within five minutes I'm in a hot shower massaging the lower body for 15-20 minutes. THat combined with cod liver oil and vitamin d3 before bed and 8-9 hours sleeps make me feel great the next day.