Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Michael Johnson(Beijing WC 2015) compares styles of bolt, bromell, Gatlin

Re: Michael Johnson(Beijing WC 2015) compares styles of bolt, bromell, Gatlin

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    MJ ran 10.09 at USATF nationals in Knoxville in 1994 (which I saw in person), 4 years after graduating from Baylor. I think his high school 200m PR was reported as a 21.3 (likely hand time?) in Sport Illustrated (I know, not much of track resource) though I had heard he only trained 2-3x/week in high school and was very much under-trained prior to entering Baylor.

That said I do agree with the limitations of such an endurance focused program. Jeremy Wariner had a high school pr of (I believe this is the correct time?)20.59 and a wind aided 20.41 and a 400m time of 45.57 also in high school.
    Check, I completely messed the timeline on his 10.09. Time to edit...

Look at bolts feet, they go from front to back and when it matters everything is heading towards the finish. If he did not bring his knees across his body his feet would not move forward and back as they do.

When a coach teaches an athlete, it is assumed the athlete knows all the coach does. All the coach teaches is what that athlete needs. Guess MJ only got simple instructions. He was a great athlete.

Michael Johnnson keeps peddling speed endurance and it's what got him shallacked in the 150 match race with Bailey in Toronto. Yea it's important, if you can run 12.1 meters per second.... If you can only run like 11.6 like johnson, its pointless for a shorter race. He's talking about the 100 in this video. He took a stupid bet with BAiley who he thought would fizzle after 100, except Donovan Baily ran on the 4x1 sometimes running 130 meters and there was no signs of slowing up much. I really don't think Johnson knows what hes talking about. Or maybe he annoys me and that's why I'm being a jerk. He was a great long sprinter, his ideas for the 100 seem 1940s ish....

Quote Originally Posted by bmarcho1 View Post
    Michael Johnnson keeps peddling speed endurance and it's what got him shallacked in the 150 match race with Bailey in Toronto. Yea it's important, if you can run 12.1 meters per second.... If you can only run like 11.6 like johnson, its pointless for a shorter race. He's talking about the 100 in this video. He took a stupid bet with BAiley who he thought would fizzle after 100, except Donovan Baily ran on the 4x1 sometimes running 130 meters and there was no signs of slowing up much. I really don't think Johnson knows what hes talking about. Or maybe he annoys me and that's why I'm being a jerk. He was a great long sprinter, his ideas for the 100 seem 1940s ish....
    Mike knew he had guaranteed money in that match race......