Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by lkh View Post


    Mike Young has talked about pushing initially, then cycling at full velocity, more or less as Fraser-Pryce is doing. But if you try the Jamaican system with a lot of power development for months, if you sprint up a steep hill every week like I've been doing, you find that you CAN'T pull: You extend and push up the hill, and if do that every week (practice makes permanent) you develop that set of mechanics.

    If you watch the videos of Bolt in slow motion at top speed, you'll see what I mean.
    Agreed, I've had this video in my collection do demonstrate this subject

  2. #22
    Moderator X-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,721

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    heres my limited opinion on P vs Pull. im with the tellez camp on this one as id rather think of pushing off the ground rather than pull. think about putting the feet down and push vertically which will engage the hip extensors leading to full extension/triple extension. any thoughts?
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

  3. #23
    Member pakewi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Milan,Italy
    Posts
    887

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    What about pulling one's body into the ground?

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by pakewi View Post
    What about pulling one's body into the ground?
    Buona sera Pakewi, something I've previously described is the fact that the actual cue of "pulling" is highly likely to encourage the sprinter/athlete to "claw" at the ground and therefore, either intentionally or inadvertently, drop the hips by making GCT father in front.

    I think Charlie's bicycle tire analogy is perfect to describe this phenomenon because almost anyone who flips a bicycle upside down in order to make the tires spin freely- who is then instructed in anyway to "pull" in order to make the tire spin faster will almost unanimously "reach" to make contact with the tire farther in front of its apex that is perpendicular to the line of gravity.

    Those of us with biomechanical knowledge understand that our hands will be in contact with the tire longer for the first few rotations (same as the nature of GCT in sprinting) but still not "pulling", however, we also know that the ultimate goal is to slap the tire, minimizing the the time our hand is in contact with it), at/very close to the point that is perpendicular to the line of gravity.

    So while there is a case to be made for certain aspects of "pulling", from a biomechanics point of view, after the fact when analyzing the sprint action (whether it's pulling the recovery heel to the butt or describing the extension of the knee prior to GCT) I think it's very important to make the distinction between what is possible to describe via slow motion video analysis and what is actually useful to cue to a sprinter/athlete in real time.

    I might go so far as to make the rudimentary analogy that when we watch a powerlifter squat on video, it's feasible for someone to say "watch the lifter pull himself/herself into the squat position" whereas we all know in actuality the lifter is "pushing" the hips backwards in order to get into the squat position. Dare I say if a novice was cued to "pull" themselves into the squat position they may very well do so at the expense of lumbar flexion and exposing the discs to trauma.
    Last edited by James Smith; 08-27-2015 at 09:28 PM.

  5. #25

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    I use that demonstration with high schoolers. Flip an equipment cart over, pick a freshman and tell them to spin the wheel as fast as possible, then explain what just happened. You can just watch them light up as they make the connection. Then we go run flying 20's to practice the concept.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charlotte N.C.
    Posts
    2,249

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    I use that demonstration with high schoolers. Flip an equipment cart over, pick a freshman and tell them to spin the wheel as fast as possible, then explain what just happened. You can just watch them light up as they make the connection. Then we go run flying 20's to practice the concept.
    Indeed, a very useful coaching tactic.

  7. #27
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    https://www.facebook.com/charliefran...1418405992412/

    Take a look at Charlie's comments about the push and pull in sprinting

  8. #28

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Agreed, I've had this video in my collection do demonstrate this subject


    What would you say Asafa does?

    I'd say do that.

    Is he pushing?

  9. #29
    Member Chris6878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,847

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/charliefran...1418405992412/

    Take a look at Charlie's comments about the push and pull in sprinting
    Cant wait for the lost tapes vid

  10. #30
    Administrator Angela Coon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,585

    Re: Pull don't push sprinting introduction

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    Cant wait for the lost tapes vid
    You mean the NEW RELEASE!

    THANK YOU TO number two for his support.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •