Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Roosters training

Re: Roosters training

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    Why don't you weave those med ball exercises into the bike circuit? Or do the med ball as part of your warm up.
    Are you doing it at the end or does it just read that way?
    You can do the bike workout 45 seconds work , 15 seconds taking it easy
    you can do the bike workout 45 seconds work, come off and do med ball throws, sit ups ( for 30 seconds and then back on bike to do a set).
    I would be doing all my box and ploy's on non tempo days but I am not sure what you are thinking
    Ange,
    Thanks for the input,
    Yes I am doing the medball accelerations after the bike tempo as I am fully warmed up ,and thought it might be best, however, I could easily do them as part of the warm up.
    I am in the early weeks of SPP and thought it might be wise to spread the load a bit as I have seen others do this in the early stages.
    I do the bike tempo exactly off the download, which is great.
    I am more than open to suggestions to change.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    Ange,
    Thanks for the input,
    Yes I am doing the medball accelerations after the bike tempo as I am fully warmed up ,and thought it might be best, however, I could easily do them as part of the warm up.
    I am in the early weeks of SPP and thought it might be wise to spread the load a bit as I have seen others do this in the early stages.
    I do the bike tempo exactly off the download, which is great.
    I am more than open to suggestions to change.
    Thanks

Med ball accels go on speed days not tempo days generally as they need to be explosive, fresh and lively.
    It's not enough to just do it.
    The reason I push so hard regarding regeneration to the point of sounding very annoying ( even for myself ) is you need to be fresh to perform. Even on tempo days.
    Even tempo requires a readiness. Otherwise you are practicing something you wish not to practice or make permanent.
    tell us why you want or think you need to be doing med ball accels on these days? ( spreading load? okay. I still would not do them on tempo days)
    My recollection is almost 100 percent of the time on tempo days we had a shorter than normal warm up especially in summer when it was warmer and then we did tempo as best as we could. Grass was first pick, pool was rare and more normal if it was winter or injury time and bike was later in my career when my background on tempo and fitness was already in place.

Ben was dropped by yesterday. He wanted to know where I bought my med balls. All of our med balls came from one place in Quebec. A place there shipped them from Italy and they are the best med balls I've used. I can no longer find the supplier. There was no way I was going to lend him my fav med ball.
    I was asking him how old he was when he first started coming over to the house. ( I continue to live here with my son). He said he was 15 years old. HE was telling me he was the young kid in the group and they would come over on Thursdays to EMS 1 x per week for about 5 weeks.
    I lent him one of my 10 lbs med balls. I asked if he would return it if I called and said I needed it. He said yes. ( I am not certain I believe him).
    I told him he would need to give me an interview on camera for the site if I call him to get my med ball back and he fails to deliver. He never answered me. Let's see what happens. I want to hear some of his stories. It's fun speaking to him about the beginning. Slightly sad too but mostly fun.

Cool Re: Roosters training

Ben was dropped by yesterday. He wanted to know where I bought my med balls. All of our med balls came from one place in Quebec. A place there shipped them from Italy and they are the best med balls I've used. I can no longer find the supplier. There was no way I was going to lend him my fav med ball.
    I was asking him how old he was when he first started coming over to the house. ( I continue to live here with my son). He said he was 15 years old. HE was telling me he was the young kid in the group and they would come over on Thursdays to EMS 1 x per week for about 5 weeks.
    I lent him one of my 10 lbs med balls. I asked if he would return it if I called and said I needed it. He said yes. ( I am not certain I believe him).
    I told him he would need to give me an interview on camera for the site if I call him to get my med ball back and he fails to deliver. He never answered me. Let's see what happens. I want to hear some of his stories. It's fun speaking to him about the beginning. Slightly sad too but mostly fun.
    That would be intriguing indeed! :P

Its been a while! Im currently helping a friend of mine back into competitive track...from reading the GPP material i always thought Medball accels were done on the Tempo days too. I'm kinda gutted i never knew this before as this would explain a lot of the tiredness and fatigue i had during the GPP phase! I know Charlie wasn't one for cookie cutter programmes but it would nice to see how your GPP should be planned (what components on a particular day) and Angie you make a fantastic point about "its not enough just doing it"..I couldn't agree anymore.

Med ball accels go on speed days not tempo days generally as they need to be explosive, fresh and lively.
    It's not enough to just do it.
    The reason I push so hard regarding regeneration to the point of sounding very annoying ( even for myself ) is you need to be fresh to perform. Even on tempo days.
    Even tempo requires a readiness. Otherwise you are practicing something you wish not to practice or make permanent.
    tell us why you want or think you need to be doing med ball accels on these days? ( spreading load? okay. I still would not do them on tempo days)
    My recollection is almost 100 percent of the time on tempo days we had a shorter than normal warm up especially in summer when it was warmer and then we did tempo as best as we could. Grass was first pick, pool was rare and more normal if it was winter or injury time and bike was later in my career when my background on tempo and fitness was already in place.
    I got the idea about medball accelerations on tempo days from the GPP download and the clip that was posted on Great Britain 200m training. I do way less volume than the 2 x 8 for medball 1 and 2 , I only do 5-6 of each. Though I don't do them 'lively' more as a technique run through.
    Since following the GPP and SPP downloads with approx half the volume I have been uninjured and felt the best I have and also feel my training is finally geared towards a goal of running fast.
    I am aware Charlie didn't like cooki cutter programs ,however the GPPP AND SPP downloads are fantastic as a guide.
    I really appreciate the comments and will implement changes . thanks

That would be awesome to hear some of his stories, so interesting.
    thanks

Tuesday 11/8
    1 x 20m-2.30 rec
    2 x 20m push up start - 2.30rec
    2 x 3 x 50m 20+.. 3 mins/6.30 rec
    3 x 30m running As
    4 x 10 hurdle walkovers

Wednesday 12/8
    weights
    squats 3 x 5 x 130kg
    incline press 2 x 5 x 80kd, 1 x 5 x 82.5kg
    Deadlift 5 x 60kg, 5 x 80 kg, 5 x 90 kg, 5 x 100kg, 5 x 110kg (pb) I suck at deadlifts
    seated row 2 x 8 x 65kg
    shoulder press 2 x 8 x 45kg
    Supine hamstring bridge 4 x 10
    abs 30 sec on/30 secs off - 10 mins
    mobility work
    hot n cold shower
    Felt quite strong today as this is my 7 week max strength phase at the start of the SPP, after that I will be doing maintenance weights only right up until Christmas.

I got the idea about medball accelerations on tempo days from the GPP download and the clip that was posted on Great Britain 200m training. I do way less volume than the 2 x 8 for medball 1 and 2 , I only do 5-6 of each. Though I don't do them 'lively' more as a technique run through.
    Since following the GPP and SPP downloads with approx half the volume I have been uninjured and felt the best I have and also feel my training is finally geared towards a goal of running fast.
    I am aware Charlie didn't like cooki cutter programs ,however the GPPP AND SPP downloads are fantastic as a guide.
    In the beginning of GPP, I think one option would be to run the hills on Monday and Friday, and on Wednesday inbetween I like to sometimes do the med ball and either plyos/weights depending. Low volume. I've found it quite tolerable. You could then make Wednesday gradually increase in volume, it becomes speed and eventually swaps for a hill session (so then it becomes a higher volume of speed day and a hill day) and this might make a smoother transition to SPP for a 2 day HI program. I find it's sometimes difficult to plan out progressions for a 2-HI program because you can't isolate the work as much (ex, on a 3-HI you can have an accel session, an SE session, and a max v session - for a 2-HI you may just have a speed [accel+max v] and an SE session). Of course, in the GPP there's not as much isolation as in SPP.

I see what you mean about getting the idea from the GPP and the GB 200m training template I put up.

Notice that the med ball stuff is before the tempo not after.

It's not easy doing med ball jumps in those volumes on tempo days so you need to exercise excellent judgement.

From my experience building in judgement to a program once on paper virtually impossible.

EVERYONE wants to do the work according to what is on the paper.

Perhaps you have a coach to say STOP.

I am speaking from my own experience but I also operate from general principles and ideas and it's a good idea to do this because you will cover a tremendous amount of ground by doing this.

When I feel great I always want to do more because at that moment I feel I can. This rule can't apply to when I was training competitively. I had a coach to do that.

If you are attempting to improve your speed, I can't emphasis enough the importance of quality of how you do everything. At the heart of the highest level of speed development, quality is everything. At least this is what I know for sure. This is what I learned.

I love coaching. There are some practical issues why I have not done more of it. But when I have coached I don't take my eyes off the people I am coaching. It's very hard work and very time consuming and energy consuming. I have said this before but this is also how I was taught. When you are making decisions about what to do for training it's one idea but when you begin doing the work it WILL and should change. And generally it should not be changing with the idea of adding tons more work. Generally speaking it changes with taking something out or making an important adjustment regarding another exercise or altering distances
    Last edited by Angela Coon; 08-12-2015 at 03:22 PM.