Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Asafa slow motion block start

Re: Asafa slow motion block start

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    Do you mean that everyone and their brother in your region is instructing the toe drag without direction/planning in a haphazard fashion?
    From an athlete I once coached.
    When I fall and dorsiflex I almost trip but when I don't trip my steps are shorter.
    Point the toe, step down the second step and dorsiflex. If it doesn't slow you down who cares, guess Asafa and coach have decided to fixxa few things. Off the subject but I can see a change in the last 40m

Quote Originally Posted by Chris6878 View Post
    where is the link to the podcast?
    Here it is-

https://soundcloud.com/nationwide-ne...nce-jun29-2015

Quote Originally Posted by lkh View Post
    Experiment with pulling heavy sleds or steep hills for a period (more like a season than a couple of weeks) and I think you'll understand.
    From a biomechanics point of view I wouldn't count on heavy sleds/steep hills, even when performed extensively over the long term, to yield toe drag mechanics upon low starts. I state that because those aren't the only training activities that have the potential to limit heel recovery and, as a result, I believe we'd observe many more sprinters performing the toe drag.

In fact, in my experience, the only training activity I've seen that remarkably affected the athlete's heel recovery was an elastic band contraption attached to the lower leg.

My question pertained to whether or not Bolt, Powell... are specifically trained to do it by Mills, Francis..

does anyone actually know why certain jam elite sprinters drag the toe on the first few steps? what is the logic?
    X-Man
    CF.com Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by sady View Post
    From an athlete I once coached.
    When I fall and dorsiflex I almost trip but when I don't trip my steps are shorter.
    Point the toe, step down the second step and dorsiflex. If it doesn't slow you down who cares, guess Asafa and coach have decided to fixxa few things. Off the subject but I can see a change in the last 40m
    In the archives somewhere before Usain are threads where starts were discussed. In pms I asked Charlie similer and where he would go, his answer was similar.

Quote Originally Posted by lkh View Post
    Experiment with pulling heavy sleds or steep hills for a period (more like a season than a couple of weeks) and I think you'll understand.
    What a massive calf workout.

thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Balance View Post
    BIG burp there from the interviewer at 14.20 lol.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
    does anyone actually know why certain jam elite sprinters drag the toe on the first few steps? what is the logic?
    A few reasons would be less vertical projection in the first few steps (more horizontal) another would be to reduce air time so the athlete can re-apply force for the next stride.