Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Asafa slow motion block start

Re: Asafa slow motion block start

Some good start training footage here of Asafa. Not sure how long ago it was filmed as the video was posted last year. Good footage none the less: https://youtu.be/4Ac8PGq-dYA

Yes, that channel has a lot of good videos.
    That Ad/Commercial of soloshot.com that was on the front end was HOT as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVyYWy4dgc8 <<soloshot

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    With regard to max velocity, I coach pelvic neutrality as seen in Asafa's Lausanne run. I believe an anterior pelvic tilt is not desirable, and everything I do planning-wise revolves around maintaining pelvic neutrality (weight room, etc). Do I have any peer-reviewed evidence? Nope. But science is an inherently conservative field which trails practical experience by up to 30 years, so I don't have time to wait for that.
    Last year our group got bigger, four new athletes joined our squad. Three out four have an anterior pelvic rotation. I have done a basic interview and assessment. Every single one of them had a ham injuries. After assessment (Thomas test and other) I can say that hip flexors weren't stretched/ long enough on top of that glutes weren't firing. Getting pelvic to more neutral position it's quite different task. Every drill, movement on and off the track has to be adressed. I am wondering how you are going about that particular problem?

Note the toe drag in action at approximately the 2:03 mark from Asafa in today's 9.81

I'm far from an expert on technique, but, man, does Vicaut look tight/restricted in his maxV phase. My initial reaction was along the lines of, "Imagine what he could do if he were able to truly open up."

Imagine what he could do if he didn't get injured every season. The tightness might be a remnant from his last injury.

Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Last year our group got bigger, four new athletes joined our squad. Three out four have an anterior pelvic rotation. I have done a basic interview and assessment. Every single one of them had a ham injuries. After assessment (Thomas test and other) I can say that hip flexors weren't stretched/ long enough on top of that glutes weren't firing. Getting pelvic to more neutral position it's quite different task. Every drill, movement on and off the track has to be adressed. I am wondering how you are going about that particular problem?
    Hey Wermouth,

Sorry I forgot about this post! Well the short answer is it's definitely not easy. The first thing I did is got away from all the powerlifting / Olympic lifting coaches, because they aren't strict enough in my opinion. Their sport is getting weight up- they do not mind some variability in technique in order to get the job done. When it comes to sprinters, I feel you have to do the opposite. Every single thing in the weight room has to have a pelvic neutral focus, and you need to balance anterior and posterior work especially in the core (nobody forgets to do this in the extremities, but seems to be a different story). I have a someone I go to that does some good osteopathic type adjustments, and is really good at using various anterior / posterior exercises to elicit a neutral and balanced athlete. His lifting work is also completely focused on neutrality of the pelvis. He is really a special guy, and he belongs at the upper echelon of the track and field world, but he is a virtual unknown due to the fact that he's too busy in the trenches to get out there and meet others.

One thing I do like is Kelly Starrett's book "Becoming a Supple Leopard." He addresses a lot of postural issues with some solid real world solutions that work. I had a chance to meet him at WAC in November of 2014 and he is a great guy- super passionate. Not everything he advocates is what I'd do, but there are a lot of great takeaways from his work I think.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 07-05-2015 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Actuary400m View Post
    I'm far from an expert on technique, but, man, does Vicaut look tight/restricted in his maxV phase. My initial reaction was along the lines of, "Imagine what he could do if he were able to truly open up."
    First of all, Vicaut's start was the shits! Look at how much faster Asafa gets his foot down and starts pushing. There is minimum one hundredth there, probably more like two or three.

Vicaut look like he lifts his head (with his pelvis correspondingly moving back into an anterior tilt), and starts heel cycling almost immediately. Vicaut is down noticeably at 30m. Once he hits his max V phase things seem to get a whole lot better. Just look at the way Vicaut DESTROYS Collins at Max V- it is not subtle! Vicaut clearly has greater frequency than Collins, and is getting some decent negative foot speed despite not looking to be in the greatest pelvic position. Still, he looked to have some decent hip height and negative foot speed, and had to be striking decently close to bottom dead centre in order to have that frequency.

Collins seems like his shin just kind of flops forward and down, touches down, and then moves back- there seems to be less negative foot speed prior to touchdown at Max Velocity.

Remember, Gatlin's frequency has increased but I will bet you any money his stride length is at least the same. End result: PB. This is Ralph Mann stuff. Maybe the French are sorta catching on to modern Max V mechanics (though Vicaut's pelvic position looked only mediocre), but clearly not the modern start!

I'd be more inclined to think the "tightness" Vicaut displayed was partially due to hitting that tremendous frequency / velocity / rhythm for the first time and thus looking a little tense and uncoordinated, but let's give the poor guy a break, he's never "been there" before. Vicaut definitely dowloaded some big time lessons in todays run!

Asafa looked like he had his best drive phase of the season, and his Max Velocity looked totally relaxed. There definitely looks to be more in the tank there! Exciting times for him, he looks like he's enjoying himself and appears much more confident. I listened to a podcast with his brother / coach Donovan Powell that ESTI sent me the link to, and it sounds like Donovan is a really smart guy with great big picture coaching skills. He said they've been very careful coming out of blocks this year, and have been doing pretty much only sub maximal starts just to be on the safe side of injury. Not only that, but you can bet they aren't training at 5am MVP style in Austin.

Oh- and gotta love the French announcers freaking over Vicaut's time- "Quel chronooo!!! Quel chronoooo!!!"
    Last edited by T-Slow; 07-05-2015 at 03:03 AM.

Actually, Gatlin's stride length has decreased by 1-1.5 strides compared to 2006. He was probably over striding back then. His frequency has increased significantly, allowing him to run faster despite taking more strides.

Quote Originally Posted by robin1 View Post
    Actually, Gatlin's stride length has decreased by 1-1.5 strides compared to 2006. He was probably over striding back then. His frequency has increased significantly, allowing him to run faster despite taking more strides.
    Break it up in 20m sections.