Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Update on my current training

Re: Update on my current training

Been doing a lot of technical work. Just trying to run correctly before speeding things us. Lots of light little plyos like ankle hops, ankle skips, etc. Trying to get the ankle joint functioning properly, trying to get that stretch reflex in the calf and let the heel 'kiss' off the ground as Tellez of course always mentioned. Going to do a few stadiums and stairs today too before tempo.

Did some tempos, trying to not be tippy-toed!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeD...jBPWTrw/videos

To me, it looks like you're straining too much for tempo. I don't think technique work during tempo runs will do much for you - the speed is so diminished that there's just not much possibility of transfer. You look like you're bounding here in some of the videos, rather than just running at 70%. (I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right videos - they're "Sprint 1/8-8/8" ?)

That being said, looks like the tippy-toed issue is being resolved. The thing will be to see if that holds when you're going all out.

Quote Originally Posted by stylee View Post
    To me, it looks like you're straining too much for tempo. I don't think technique work during tempo runs will do much for you - the speed is so diminished that there's just not much possibility of transfer. You look like you're bounding here in some of the videos, rather than just running at 70%. (I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right videos - they're "Sprint 1/8-8/8" ?)

That being said, looks like the tippy-toed issue is being resolved. The thing will be to see if that holds when you're going all out.
    Well sure haha, it's gonna be a whole different animal trying to be translating it to 30% faster, but it's a start for me right now. All I've been doing is tempo and some stadiums. My form has been so bad that I need to get the pattern down before I can speed it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Well sure haha, it's gonna be a whole different animal trying to be translating it to 30% faster, but it's a start for me right now. All I've been doing is tempo and some stadiums. My form has been so bad that I need to get the pattern down before I can speed it up.
    I see. I sometimes do it too, dabbling with voluntary cues during tempo running to see what works best for me and then applying those cues when I'm actually sprinting.

You do look like you're going a little fast here. Where would you say you are on the speed spectrum - above 75%? If you're not doing full-out sprint work, I suppose it doesn't matter, as you would not be impeding anything else by doing intensive tempo.

Quote Originally Posted by stylee View Post
    I see. I sometimes do it too, dabbling with voluntary cues during tempo running to see what works best for me and then applying those cues when I'm actually sprinting.

You do look like you're going a little fast here. Where would you say you are on the speed spectrum - above 75%? If you're not doing full-out sprint work, I suppose it doesn't matter, as you would not be impeding anything else by doing intensive tempo.
    75% for me is pretty much 15s for me, which would basically be an 800m pace, and I can tell you I'm definitely below that. I think I just look faster than I'm really going on those, I always make an effort to get a nice full ROM even on tempos. Probably not textbook, but just how I do them, I like feeling a stretch when I do them.

("Below", meaning slower! lol)

I like the idea of running in bare feet on grass. It is very therapeutic. However, these runs are clearly far too fast to be considered tempo runs, and the range of motion is excessive as well.

Your technique is not good- you display significant anterior pelvic tilt and this is truly the limiting factor in 100m performance. Until you attack this issue head-on, it will be difficult to achieve your ultimate performance. Your foot should not be kicking you in the ass on recovery. Max velocity mechanics are up and down- you are pushing back too much, which is causing your legs to spend an excessive amount of time behind the body.

As discussed previously, I strongly suggest you invest heavily in yourself if you want to achieve your best. Take a look at my 400m coaching journal and you will get an idea of what my top athlete and I have done to improve ourselves over the past few seasons. I have offered in the past to have you come up and do a session with us as long as you can get yourself here, and you are still welcome to join for a session in the near future.
    Last edited by T-Slow; 05-02-2015 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    I have offered in the past to have you come up and do a session with us as long as you can get yourself here, and you are still welcome to join for a session in the near future.
    Car's fixed. I plan on it.

Car's fixed. I plan on it.
    Good stuff!