Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Update on my current training

Re: Update on my current training

Got some updated films. They aren't too pretty. A little bit different from the last ones I posted, new issues. I'm the one in orange shorts. Any and all criticism is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8K8i_b3qcQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJDB6ciRdU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_lEwNZQHJc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BaNR5GUR3A

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Got some updated films. They aren't too pretty. A little bit different from the last ones I posted, new issues. I'm the one in orange shorts. Any and all criticism is appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8K8i_b3qcQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLJDB6ciRdU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_lEwNZQHJc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BaNR5GUR3A

It's hard to comment much when I have not been following your progressions and I don't much about your training.
    I don't think you look too bad.
    I see you look like you are spending too much time on the ground and I am not sure why.
    You look pretty fit.
    I was looking at some of your clap drills.
    What comes to mind is you seem to run with a fair bit of tension. Your hips seem to looser now than in the early runs 4 months ago.
    Even with the clap drills you seem to have some trouble just relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Coon View Post
    It's hard to comment much when I have not been following your progressions and I don't much about your training.
    I don't think you look too bad.
    I see you look like you are spending too much time on the ground and I am not sure why.
    You look pretty fit.
    I was looking at some of your clap drills.
    What comes to mind is you seem to run with a fair bit of tension. Your hips seem to looser now than in the early runs 4 months ago.
    Even with the clap drills you seem to have some trouble just relaxing.
    I appreciate you taking a look Ange

I feel I am very fit. And yes, my hips are more mobile now for sure, I have made sure to include hurdle mobility in my training and it's helped a bit.

As far as upright technique, it seems my heels maybe aren't coming up high enough now? That's what I see. Before, I was kicking myself in the butt and on my tippy-toes, as some of you might remember.

I do feel myself still spending too much time on the ground. A few months ago, I felt like I was getting too vertical of a trajectory in my upright running. So I've tried to get more horizontal. However, I feel and see my hip height suffering. Part of it is me instinctively trying to keep up with my training partner's frequency, especially evident in the first link. The second link looked best in my eyes, the knees got a little tighter fold and the knees driving higher.

Relaxing is an issue for me, and I know that may be the worst (and source) of my issues. I also understand another mistake I make is thinking too much.

Right now, early in SPP, my first comp will be 1st week of December. The drills I posted were 20m flys with 20m buildups. I have taken T's advice and went with a 2-HI schedule. This past Monday 9/14 was SE split reps, 2x5x60 (15m limit). The other day is obviously speed work. Tempo has been 2 or 3 times per week, around 3000m a week or so. Been doing therapy more than ever, stretching, actually doing some massage (shaking stuff before sessions, deeper stuff day after HI), regular contrast showers. Hamstrings and calves have been the tightest muscle groups for me.

Curious as to what T's thoughts are.

Not sure how I should go about adjusting my mechanics now.

This past week HI sessions (week 2 SPP):

Monday 2x5x60 (15m) wb/5min

Thursday speed - 4x20m accels, 4x20m fly from 20m, 2xFEF (15-20-15)

Mon 9/21

3x20, 2x25 accel

2x4x60 (20) 2.5/7min

Tues 9/22

1600m tempo
    + isometric squats (3x deep angle 3x shallow angle) ~10s each
    +massage

Wed 9/23
    Hurdle mobility, stretching

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Curious as to what T's thoughts are.

Not sure how I should go about adjusting my mechanics now.
    You have a standing offer to come up here and work with my guys for a session. Shoot me a PM, schedule a date, and we can go from there.

T

QUOTE=Brett;252912]I appreciate you taking a look Ange

I love watching people run. And thank you for appreciating this forum as there are many people looking and watching and learning from you and me and others that have the chance to take the time and comment.

I feel I am very fit. And yes, my hips are more mobile now for sure, I have made sure to include hurdle mobility in my training and it's helped a bit.

How fit are you? How might you be able to define this for us? Otherwise we are taking your word for it. I said you look fit but this does not mean you are.
    How much hip mobility are you doing? How long have you been doing it? You don’t stop doing it by the way. You have not been training very long have you? Keep doing it even if it’s routine leg swings, side leg swings and trail leg forward and backward. I did these drills every day I training almost 100 percent of the time.

As far as upright technique, it seems my heels maybe aren't coming up high enough now? That's what I see. Before, I was kicking myself in the butt and on my tippy-toes, as some of you might remember.

Video really is great but it’s not telling us what we need to know. You analysis might be correct but what you think and what you are doing are going to be defined by what you know or better put how little you know.

I do feel myself still spending too much time on the ground. A few months ago, I felt like I was getting too vertical of a trajectory in my upright running. So I've tried to get more horizontal. However, I feel and see my hip height suffering. Part of it is me instinctively trying to keep up with my training partner's frequency, especially evident in the first link. The second link looked best in my eyes, the knees got a little tighter fold and the knees driving higher.

If you feel like you spending too much time on the ground I wonder if you feel heavy? To me you look heavy on your feet but I bet if you were here and unloaded and then had a day or two off or of the correct work we would get a more true picture of what is going on with your sprinting. How can you feel your hip height suffering? This technical aspect of running is not easy to see and most people with the exception of few get their hips up AND are able to keep them up.

Relaxing is an issue for me, and I know that may be the worst (and source) of my issues. I also understand another mistake I make is thinking too much.

Relaxing is an issue for most or it’s the opposite which creates other issues so don’t worry about it. Charlie used to tell me that a big aspect of relaxation was a function of having the right preparation. It was true for me up to point. The thinking is something that is also a function of how you are prepared and how you feel about how you are prepared. I always ask people if they are able to remember a point in time when they felt very fast and confident. I think it’s important to have been in that place so you know what it feels like especially if you are coaching yourself.

Right now, early in SPP, my first comp will be 1st week of December. The drills I posted were 20m flys with 20m buildups. I have taken T's advice and went with a 2-HI schedule. This past Monday 9/14 was SE split reps, 2x5x60 (15m limit). The other day is obviously speed work. Tempo has been 2 or 3 times per week, around 3000m a week or so. Been doing therapy more than ever, stretching, actually doing some massage (shaking stuff before sessions, deeper stuff day after HI), regular contrast showers. Hamstrings and calves have been the tightest muscle groups for me.[/QUOTE]

Your training that you list is not very detailed. I know very little about the duration of your actual warm up as one example. I often tell people to time their warm up every day and compare and refine and hone and record. This is the science of the one of the most important aspects of running. The warm up.

It says a great deal that your hamstrings and your calves are tight. This might mean you are not adapting yet to the volume of all things. Tight calves are something to take very seriously because rehabbing a calve is not fun. I would be telling you to get your volume of tempo done in the pool at least 2/3 of the time and save yourself for the speed. If you can’t do pool then bike it. If the bike won’t work then do medicine ball extensively for a continuous duration matching the time you spend doing tempo. ( just one idea)

If Tyrone invites you to come and see him and you have no coach you need to try and do this. Adjusting your own mechanics without someone watching that knows is a tough task.