Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 149

Thread: Update on my current training

  1. #101
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    487

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I was wondering if it's really necessary to have a large emphasis (we are talking S-L here) on SE early on in SPP1, as the focus is only 60m? On the 3 day HI sample, early on Monday and Friday are SE and of course speed change on Wednesday. If I do decide to go 3 HI, would it work better to have a speed change / max V day, an accel day, and just one special endurance session per week, since I'll only be running 60s indoors? If it were just 2 days HI, would it be better off just going accel one day and speed change/ max v the other? Or for 2 days HI is it a better idea to still have the other session SE?
    Through the course of a few years I have tried few options, one of them was the one you have wrote above, one of them was based on CF's from template, one of them was where in the second meso of SPP I one day of SE, one EFE, one was flys. With all those approaches above athletes have improved, however with those two where SE was replaced earlier with EFE & Flying 20s, athletes were ready to compete sooner. I felt that there wasn't much we could improve, we hit the wall. So we had compete from beginning of Jan to beginning of Feb and consequently had to start SPP II sooner which wasn't bad thing, nevertheless I feel that we didn't maximize the opportunity to go even faster. I think that smoothing out of the emphasis is essential part of the steady progress and rushing progression is not really advisable. Careful planning is essential.
    As to whether 2 or 3 HI from observation I can say that youngsters are handling 3 HI days really well for as long as volume is moderate.
    As for the next season SPP I experiment continues, lol.

    T-slow asked important question whether you are going to be with coach or by yourself?

  2. #102
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by wermouth View Post
    Through the course of a few years I have tried few options, one of them was the one you have wrote above, one of them was based on CF's from template, one of them was where in the second meso of SPP I one day of SE, one EFE, one was flys. With all those approaches above athletes have improved, however with those two where SE was replaced earlier with EFE & Flying 20s, athletes were ready to compete sooner. I felt that there wasn't much we could improve, we hit the wall. So we had compete from beginning of Jan to beginning of Feb and consequently had to start SPP II sooner which wasn't bad thing, nevertheless I feel that we didn't maximize the opportunity to go even faster. I think that smoothing out of the emphasis is essential part of the steady progress and rushing progression is not really advisable. Careful planning is essential.
    As to whether 2 or 3 HI from observation I can say that youngsters are handling 3 HI days really well for as long as volume is moderate.
    As for the next season SPP I experiment continues, lol.

    T-slow asked important question whether you are going to be with coach or by yourself?
    I am going to be by myself. I'll get some film on here in a few weeks as my camera guy will be back home and done with his internship.

    I would think 3 HI could be doable, as long as the volume is low enough, but do you think that is an option, T?

    The one reason I like 3 HI is because I think it's easier to plan out workouts - accel session, speed change/max v, and SE session.
    With two HI, one will be accel+speed change/max v and the other SE. For me I think it would be more challenging to be able to focus on certain aspects of the accel/max v session.

    But T, I do see your point, and as CF said before, when you turn on the stadium lights you might as well have them on for a while because either way you're going to have a huge bill. So taking that into consideration, you could do more volume per session between 2 HI days, than 3 HI, and have the lights on longer, so-to-speak, during the accel/max v session.

    Again too, what are some things to think about as far as SE if I plan on only running 60s indoors?

    Thank you for the replies

  3. #103
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    750

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am going to be by myself. I'll get some film on here in a few weeks as my camera guy will be back home and done with his internship.

    I would think 3 HI could be doable, as long as the volume is low enough, but do you think that is an option, T?

    The one reason I like 3 HI is because I think it's easier to plan out workouts - accel session, speed change/max v, and SE session.
    With two HI, one will be accel+speed change/max v and the other SE. For me I think it would be more challenging to be able to focus on certain aspects of the accel/max v session.

    But T, I do see your point, and as CF said before, when you turn on the stadium lights you might as well have them on for a while because either way you're going to have a huge bill. So taking that into consideration, you could do more volume per session between 2 HI days, than 3 HI, and have the lights on longer, so-to-speak, during the accel/max v session.

    Again too, what are some things to think about as far as SE if I plan on only running 60s indoors?

    Thank you for the replies
    Brett,

    "Less is More, And More is Less."

    This quote hangs on the wall in my home for a reason.

    You are trying to learn how to sprint. None of these complex progression schemes mean anything until you can sprint.

    If you read my 400m journal, you will see how much myself and my athlete invested both financially and time-wise in ourselves to get where we wanted to go.

    My suggestions would be:

    1. Invest in a coach.

    2. Invest in a tripod so you can film yourself.

    3. Simplify.

  4. #104
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,721

    Re: Update on my current training

    Start with less you can always increase with little trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I am going to be by myself. I'll get some film on here in a few weeks as my camera guy will be back home and done with his internship.

    I would think 3 HI could be doable, as long as the volume is low enough, but do you think that is an option, T?

    The one reason I like 3 HI is because I think it's easier to plan out workouts - accel session, speed change/max v, and SE session.
    With two HI, one will be accel+speed change/max v and the other SE. For me I think it would be more challenging to be able to focus on certain aspects of the accel/max v session.

    But T, I do see your point, and as CF said before, when you turn on the stadium lights you might as well have them on for a while because either way you're going to have a huge bill. So taking that into consideration, you could do more volume per session between 2 HI days, than 3 HI, and have the lights on longer, so-to-speak, during the accel/max v session.

    Again too, what are some things to think about as far as SE if I plan on only running 60s indoors?

    Thank you for the replies

  5. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: Update on my current training

    Good thing I'm like Vegeta.

  6. #106
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Good thing I'm like Vegeta.
    Well I was going to be working with a coach in Cleveland but he couldn't spare the time. And Youngstown is a pretty small town, I mean I could have Farmer Bob coach me and have him telling me to 'spreeeeeent! faster!'. For now I'm just very thankful to have training partners.

  7. #107

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Slow View Post
    Brett,

    "Less is More, And More is Less."

    This quote hangs on the wall in my home for a reason.

    You are trying to learn how to sprint. None of these complex progression schemes mean anything until you can sprint.

    If you read my 400m journal, you will see how much myself and my athlete invested both financially and time-wise in ourselves to get where we wanted to go.

    My suggestions would be:

    1. Invest in a coach.

    2. Invest in a tripod so you can film yourself.

    3. Simplify.
    One thing that has interested me 'is it better to have a coach who does not follow the CF principles than coaching yourself who does follow the CF way. Where I live there are a number of coaches who do not follow teh CF principles hence ,I train myself.

  8. #108
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: Update on my current training

    Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    One thing that has interested me 'is it better to have a coach who does not follow the CF principles than coaching yourself who does follow the CF way. Where I live there are a number of coaches who do not follow teh CF principles hence ,I train myself.
    Precisely. Thank you

  9. #109
    Member RB34's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,721

    Re: Update on my current training

    Just because a coach doesn't follow CF principles doesn't mean he/she isn't a good coach. There are tons of advantages of having a solid coach and a training group.

    Quote Originally Posted by grooster View Post
    One thing that has interested me 'is it better to have a coach who does not follow the CF principles than coaching yourself who does follow the CF way. Where I live there are a number of coaches who do not follow teh CF principles hence ,I train myself.

  10. #110
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    369

    Re: Update on my current training

    Well yeah, sure. But I still want to follow CF principles, and there's no coaches around here I know that do follow many. As I initially stated in this thread, things have been going well and I'm just trying to keep the progress going, so I had a few questions about planning and improving what I'm doing for this year coming up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •