Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to achieve low heel recovery?

Re: How to achieve low heel recovery?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry K Mitchell View Post
    Here's a link to a previous discussion on the topic
    I believe the start mechanics is different to the rest of the race.

I don't know if heel recovery is something you should be focused on. Initial acceleration mechanics are different than mechanics at upright full speed. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should be consciously trying to do something different. To the extent you are thinking about your legs/feet at all, I would recommend simply cocking the foot and stepping straight down, from first step to last. Heel recovery height, knee drive, body lean, etc. will take care of itself and gradually change as you accelerate and come upright. Trying to fine tune your acceleration mechanics any more than that would require hands on coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    I don't know if heel recovery is something you should be focused on. Initial acceleration mechanics are different than mechanics at upright full speed. But that doesn't necessarily mean you should be consciously trying to do something different. To the extent you are thinking about your legs/feet at all, I would recommend simply cocking the foot and stepping straight down, from first step to last. Heel recovery height, knee drive, body lean, etc. will take care of itself and gradually change as you accelerate and come upright. Trying to fine tune your acceleration mechanics any more than that would require hands on coaching.

yea exactly my point too

As a follow up, at least with falling starts, I have found that if I think about stepping down hard on the first step it has the effect of lifting the body (especially the hips) higher off the ground, which allows each subsequent step to occur from a higher point. I've also found that because it drives the hips up, it also prevents the torso from popping up too quickly. It will also give you the confidence to fall forward more before you catch yourself, allowing you to achieve a sharper angle to the ground. In contrast, if you think "up" whether it's lifting the heel or driving the knee you're more likely to drop the hips and raise the torso.

Block starts are a little more tricky, especially if you're reacting to a start signal. Like Charlie said, it should almost come as a surprise. You flick the wrist, and the next thing you know you're five feet in front of the blocks. Keep stepping down and pumping the arms.